Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
He’s a Director of Football. That’s his remit, developing a football strategy and long term plan.

Managers are far less concerned.

A football pitch is a football pitch. As Darnswim Darnswim pointed out, UTD’s facilities are appalling. But it’s UTD.
He was talking about Nagelsmann.

It’s amazing that you are so far gone that you cannot concede that the training ground and stadium are great things about working for Tottenham that might attract managers and players.

He was talking about Nagelsmann.

It’s amazing that you are so far gone that you cannot concede that the training ground and stadium are great things about working for Tottenham that might attract managers and players.
I think you've gotten a little too use to arguing everything relentlessly.

Relax. Have a pastis.

The quote you're using is a DoF twerking for a job with us. Elite managers want to know how much they're getting paid, what players they have at their disposal, what players are incoming and how much control they will have. Also, what the expectations for the team are.

Nagelsmann has just spent a year or so at the Allianz arena. He's really not going to be that fussed about our stadium.

That said, you must like the fact that the only positive that Rangnick could come up with for Levy was that he has been in situ for many, many years. What a compliment!

Last edited:
I think you've gotten a little too use to arguing everything relentlessly.

Relax. Have a pastis.

The quote you're using is a DoF twerking for a job with us. Elite managers want to know how much they're getting paid, what players they have at their disposal, what players are incoming and how much control they will have. Also, what the expectations for the team are.

Nagelsmann has just spent a year or so at the Allianz arena. He's really not going to be that fussed about our stadium.

That said, you must like the fact that the only positive that Rangnick could come up with for Levy was that he has been in situ for many, many years. What a compliment!
He was talking about Nagelsmann. That’s who he was asked about and that’s the context which he CHOSE to list those things as « exciting ». As someone who’s worked with Nagelsmann.

You seem to think that because A, B and C are important that D can’t be important too, despite someone well-placed saying that D is exciting.

Whoever it is, start from scratch. Reminds me of the job needed after AVB was sacked.

So much deadwood needs shifting.
Yeah, potentially worse imo. Some players will improve with good management but there is no early to mid 20's Lloris, Vertonghen or Eriksen here at the moment.

I think its more like when Arnesen came in. We had King, Keane and Defoe but otherwise it was a blank canvas. We basically cleared out almost an entire squad and bought about 20 players in 3 windows.

Robbie Keane suggesting Mason should get a go or Brendan Rodgers has filled me with dread.

Brendan Rodgers, with Mason as assistant manager doesn't seem bad to me..

We are fixatd by some notion of what we see as progressive on the one hand but not good enough on the other. It's pathetic and what we do about players who sometimes go elsewhere and do just fine.

Rodgers has a fine pedigree and clearly Mason has a strong affinity to the club. I see no negatives in that.

We need personnel changes and we are crying out for stability.

The problem of course is that if we spent 200 million it wouldn't be enough or it would be the wrong players. Of course within that there are many who actually believe that if we simply paid the money a team want then we could sign anyone. The 'fantasists'

If we don't gets manager of some distinction sorted by the end of the season and for me that rules out Mason, then I will be more than worried.

We still have some good players, but their mindset has been fucked by three safety first managers, who have drilled dropping off & passivity into their brains.

In retrospect, Mourinho is the least bad of the three, & probably the best judge of what a player could & couldn't do. He was correct to try to light a fire under Dele, Ndombele & co, and failed because they couldn't give a fuck.

Nuno was a chunk of our lives none of us are getting back.

Conte killed any front foot courage stil residing in our players from the Poch era, and insisted on shoe-horning them into his oh so precious 3-4-3 system regardless of the fact it didn't play to their strengths.

Emerson is a RB, not a RWB. All of our CMs, except for Bentancur, were used in the wrong position and often simply outmaneouvred. Instructing Dier to hold his position all the time as CCB has transformed him into something utterly pointless. He doesn't tackle, doesn't close down, doesn't attack the ball. just watches as opponents score again & again.

We all know Sonny is fucking hopeless receiving the ball with his back to goal to initiate an attack. Conte used him 10-20 metres too deep. Son is useless there, and our attacking moves constantly broke down. Mason was entirely correct to stick Sonny up top, on Kane's shoulder, ready to run in behind.

Conte worked with a Director of Football, and Paratici secured Richarlison, Bissouma & Perisic in time for pre-season. But the only one he integrated into the team was the one he already knew, Perisic.

Richarlison & Bissouma were hardly ever rotated in, despite both being proven PL players who didn't need to adapt to a new league.

The lack of opportunities for Sarr & Gil was criminal, ditto the ignoring of the Academy.

Mason is clearly trying to get some positive energy into the team, through the way we play and where he's deploying the players.

Our next head coach has to make honest assessments of what our players can and can't do, and then implement a tactical system that emphasises their strengths and minimises their weaknesses.

Our next DoF has to buy some defenders who can actually defend.

And we have to get some joy back into the club.

Last edited:
A weird mix of heartbroken and heartened after that game.

Better coaching and improving on the worst players in the squad should cut out some of our defensive errors. Of the players we need to build the team around, there's clearly enough fight to still try and come back despite being 3-0 down at Anfield.

Get the managerial appointment right, combined with a good transfer window, and we'll be transformed.

Hopefully so, but Levy at the wheel doesn’t exactly inspire confidence in our transformation effort :avbshit:

The THFC board clearly has delusions of grandeur. Just because we have a lovely big stadium, excellent training facilities and a squad that cost a fortune - it doesn't mean we are actually any good.

We lucked our way to the Champions League final after being completely outplayed by both City & Ajax (not to mention the thrashings Barca gave us in the group stages).

We are a top 6 club, that might get lucky and win something. Stop trying to recruit elite coaches who thrive on success. We need to find a coach who is excited by mediocracy - Somebody who would want to win the league / FA cup - not treat it as a burden.

We likely will not have Kane next season. There is no sense recruiting an elite coach without elite players. They will get frustrated and lose motivation - just as Mourinho & Conte did.

Target for next season is Top 6 finish and a domestic cup - Find a coach that is happy to deliver that.

We still have some good players, but their mindset has been fucked by three safety first managers, who have drilled dropping off & passivity into their brains.

In retrospect, Mourinho is the least bad of the three, & probably the best judge of what a player could & couldn't do. He was correct to try to light a fire under Dele, Ndombele & co, and failed because they couldn't give a fuck.

Nuno was a chunk of our lives none of us are getting back.

Conte killed any front foot courage stil residing in our players from the Poch era, and insisted on shoe-horning them into his oh so precious 3-4-3 system regardless of the fact it didn't play to their strengths.

Emerson is a RB, not a RWB. All of our CMs, except for Bentancur, were used in the wrong position and often simply outmaneouvred. Instructing Dier to hold his position all the time as CCB has transformed him into something utterly pointless. He doesn't tackle, doesn't close down, doesn't attack the ball. just watches as opponents score again & again.

We all know Sonny is fucking hopeless receiving the ball with his back to goal to initiate an attack. Conte used him 10-20 metres too deep. Son is useless there, and our attacking moves constantly broke down. Mason was entirely correct to stick Sonny up top, on Kane's shoulder, ready to run in behind.

Conte worked with a Director of Football, and Paratici secured Richarlison, Bissouma & Perisic in time for pre-season. But the only one he integrated into the team was the one he already knew, Perisic.

Richarlison & Bissouma were hardly ever rotated in, despite both being proven PL players who didn't need to adapt to a new league.

The lack of opportunities for Sarr & Gil was criminal, ditto the ignoring of the Academy.

Mason is clearly trying to get some positive energy into the team, through the way we play and where he's deploying the players.

Our next head coach has to make honest assessments of what our players can and can't do, and then implement a tactical system that emphasises their strengths and minimises their weaknesses.

Our next DoF has to buy some defenders who can actually defend.

And we have to get some joy back into the club.

I agree 100%. It’s going to take time to rebuild the players and squad and make turn them back into a modern attacking team. It is going to take the new bloke a good 6 months unless he can bring in players and ship a load out.

They’ve been coached to let the other team have the ball, fall back and sit deep for a long time and it’s the reason we keep going behind. The players can’t do it. Nowadays they want to attack and go for it but they are stuck with the wrong mindset at the beginning of games. Mason’s most important job is to begin to get that mindset out of them. If he can do that then at least it gives the new manager a fighting chance at the outset.

I agree 100%. It’s going to take time to rebuild the players and squad and make turn them back into a modern attacking team. It is going to take the new bloke a good 6 months unless he can bring in players and ship a load out.

They’ve been coached to let the other team have the ball, fall back and sit deep for a long time and it’s the reason we keep going behind. The players can’t do it. Nowadays they want to attack and go for it but they are stuck with the wrong mindset at the beginning of games. Mason’s most important job is to begin to get that mindset out of them. If he can do that then at least it gives the new manager a fighting chance at the outset.
Yes. If Mason can shake the players out of the passive, safety first, mindset and bring some enthusiasm & joy back into the club, it would be a significant achievement & important service to our club. It would also be essential preparation for our next Head Coach.

On the highlights, when we equalized I noticed Porro run screaming to Mason and lift him from the ground. It suggests even the new players respect and want to play for him.

I don't think Mason is ready for the full time gig, but he's shown a willingness to change things up mid-game, and "help the team". Conte often said this, but his decisions ended up "harming the team".

Playing Son on the shoulder of Kane, with three in midfield (first Deki, then Sarr), massively improved us and gave Liverpool the jitters. Mason should now start games with a 3-5-2.

Mason played under peak Poch, when we had energy & belief. I thought his comments after the match, the passion he showed, was great. If he can start us back on the road to a front foot mindset with belief, and dispel the dark clouds of Conte, Nuno, Mourinho, that will be huge.

If Ryan does get the gig full-time, whatever your views on that being a good call or not, people need to leave off with the "Mason's Mates" nonsense.

More chance of Ndombele passing by an All-You-Can-Eat Buffet of course but there you go.

Yes. If Mason can shake the players out of the passive, safety first, mindset and bring some enthusiasm & joy back into the club, it would be a significant achievement & important service to our club. It would also be essential preparation for our next Head Coach.

On the highlights, when we equalized I noticed Porro run screaming to Mason and lift him from the ground. It suggests even the new players respect and want to play for him.

I don't think Mason is ready for the full time gig, but he's shown a willingness to change things up mid-game, and "help the team". Conte often said this, but his decisions ended up "harming the team".

Playing Son on the shoulder of Kane, with three in midfield (first Deki, then Sarr), massively improved us and gave Liverpool the jitters. Mason should now start games with a 3-5-2.

Mason played under peak Poch, when we had energy & belief. I thought his comments after the match, the passion he showed, was great. If he can start us back on the road to a front foot mindset with belief, and dispel the dark clouds of Conte, Nuno, Mourinho, that will be huge.

I thought it was going to be the first thing he’d do to be honest. Surprised he didn’t.

But yeah, any modern day front foot manager will get more out of these players. I’d be looking to move on plodders like Dier and Hojbjerg and get a couple more players in who aren’t scared of the ball. The first few months under Poch weren’t great and I suspect that’s what we will experience. But by November/December I’d expect the new chap to get us back to being a proper football team again.

But yeah, any modern day front foot manager will get more out of these players. I’d be looking to move on plodders like Dier and Hojbjerg and get a couple more players in who aren’t scared of the ball. The first few months under Poch weren’t great and I suspect that’s what we will experience. But by November/December I’d expect the new chap to get us back to being a proper football team again.

The new manager will be realising by December that Dier et al are all shit and will outlast him.
Our plodders are as parasitic as Levy

Back
Top Bottom