Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
If he needs a break then fine, get a contract signed and announced for next season to put speculation to bed. If he's keeping us waiting to see if a better job comes up then we need to strongly consider going for our second choice for stability sake, waiting around on the off chance that the hottest girl might go to prom with us if two or three other guys decide not to ask her is a chumps game.
This. Well said.

Whoever it is I look forward to less turbulent times and no will he/won't he saga putting the fans and the club on the edge, we need to stay out of the media for a bit and the new manager needs to put the club in a positive light.

Ok, after reading a piece on the 4222 that Nagelsmann tried before the World Cup at Bayern, I think I really would like him to be the manager for Spurs. That set-up sounded like a brilliant approach to our squad (when everyone are not injured).

I think the problem with evaluating manager hires is the same thing as Spurs transfers. We often don't know about the deals that didn't happen, and we don't know always why things went wrong. Everyone assumes it's always Levy's fault, and while often it has been, it hasn't always. Our problem after firing Mourinho was that we had a list, but all of the managers on it were grabbed elsewhere first, except for ETH, who apparently interviewed very badly. Then Paratici fucked up the best option we had that we could've chosen after that. And then we had dramas with Pochettino and Conte, neither of which panned out, but did eat the time we had to find a good alternative. After which, we were left to scramble because we were out of time. But looking at things logically. If you had a list that was initially Flick, Ten Hag, Nagelsmann, Potter, and you had 3 say no, and Ten Hag seem sketchy in person, what do you do next? You need to make a new list, and start the process again. But then you suddenly have Pochettino and Conte available. Do you ignore them and stick to your list? If you don't, that takes a lot of time that means if they can't come, you have no time left to find anyone else decent. Levy decided to ignore the list, and chase those two. I think most fans would have done the same. And it didn't pan out. that left us with Gattuso and then Nuno. Because that was all that was left after trying every alternative.

I am not happy with things winding up how they did in that summer, but it's not something which you can only blame Levy for. This summer looks like a repeat of the same situation. Us, PSG, Real Madrid and maybe Liverpool are all going to be looking for managers. And we're going to be looking at the same group of people. It's going to be a very tricky situation, and you have to think about it from the perspective of the potential managers. No one would sign a contract today, since you want to wait until the summer to see all the options. All we can do is talk to the people on our list, and try to agree as many things in advance as possible, and then wait until the summer to see how things work out. It's not ideal, but there is not much as fans that we can do about it.
4-2-2-2 is a Ragnick tactic and did not work for Man Utd.

People do realise that Naggelsman is from the Ralf Ragnick school of football and one of the main reasons Lewandowski quit Bayern Munich is because he fell out with him.
Lewandowski has been flirting with Madrid and Barça for years. Rangnick school produced Tuchel, Klopp and a few others so its not a bad thing. Also why are all the anti-Nagelsmann choosing to ignore the large amounts of positives about him, and instead choose to greatly amplify the few negatives that can be fixed with experience and time?

For me the most exciting names on the list are Nagelsmann, Enrique and Poch. Unfortunately I reckon Poch is waiting to see if he can get a tilt at the Real Madrid job. Enrique is hoping for the Paris gig. And that leaves Nagelsmann who has just been booted out of his dream job. I like De Zerbi and Kompany too but I think De Zerbi has too little prem experience and Kompany will be off like a brides' nightie as soon as City come calling

Who ever comes in , I really hope the priority is to win a fucking trophy! Get the first one out the way and build on it, we are in no position to turn our noses up at any Silverware, I want someone to come in and try to develop a winning mentality in the dressing room and on the pitch!
If we are in a competition, we are in it to win it not to make up numbers, if the manager doesn't believe we can win it then why would the players?
The same goes for any game, if we are winning 3-1 we dont sit back and try to protect the lead, we keep attacking and aim to make it 4-1, then 5-1!

I also don't want a manager who comes out and says getting 4th for Spurs is a trophy, thats absolute Bollox, 4th is not even close to a trophy! Have we won a lot lately, No however Spurs are a fucking massive club, with European Pedigree , I see us as a sleeping Giant and Im happy for a few seasons of Mid table as long as we can see progress and have a plan!

Lewandowski has been flirting with Madrid and Barça for years. Rangnick school produced Tuchel, Klopp and a few others so its not a bad thing. Also why are all the anti-Nagelsmann choosing to ignore the large amounts of positives about him, and instead choose to greatly amplify the few negatives that can be fixed with experience and time?
What are his positives apart from his time at Hoffenheim, I see no point where he actually raised the level of his team. RB Leipzig you expect to finish 2-3rd, Bayern you expect to win the league and challenge for the Champions League. The fact is aprt from his time at Hoffenheim he pretty much has done what is expected.

Who ever comes in , I really hope the priority is to win a fucking trophy! Get the first one out the way and build on it, we are in no position to turn our noses up at any Silverware, I want someone to come in and try to develop a winning mentality in the dressing room and on the pitch!
If we are in a competition, we are in it to win it not to make up numbers, if the manager doesn't believe we can win it then why would the players?
The same goes for any game, if we are winning 3-1 we dont sit back and try to protect the lead, we keep attacking and aim to make it 4-1, then 5-1!

I also don't want a manager who comes out and says getting 4th for Spurs is a trophy, thats absolute Bollox, 4th is not even close to a trophy! Have we won a lot lately, No however Spurs are a fucking massive club, with European Pedigree , I see us as a sleeping Giant and Im happy for a few seasons of Mid table as long as we can see progress and have a plan!
Eh I sort of disagree.

I think the #1 priority of the next Spurs manager should be getting us to play brilliant and entertaining football over anything else. Ultimately when I watch us, I just want to be entertained.

We've had a couple very high profile managers come in who talked about "winning mentality" and finally getting us a trophy. We did even have some decent runs, but the entire time we were holding our noses, and I'm not sure I would even have appreciated the EFL Cup trophy that we lost in the final given the type of football we were playing to "win" it.

I'm not saying I want us to just bin off the cups, I'm just saying the focus of the new manager should 100% be on getting us to play enthralling football. That's it.

And I don't see that any of them are good ones, from our perspective at least. Sure, JN might want to wait and see if a club with nicer tits comes along for him, that's great for him, not for us.

Ignoring the fact that any manager's perspective is an inescapable part of the equation is senseless.

All the more so in specific regard to JN recent predicament.

You can be as optimistic as you like,

I've not preached optimism..... Only to not overlook common sense in favour of kicking against simple reality of the above

You missed the key elements that he also likes ski-ing and just split with his GF......

Dosser!!!!!!

A fucking monkey could win the league with either of the old firm. To say managing Celtic is harder than managing Southampton is delusional and lacks any understanding of Scottish football or Southampton. I will say this again and hope you understand. There are players in the Celtic squad who have a higher weekly wage than the entirity of most of the teams they play against on any given Saturday. The difference in resource is phenomenal, and the advantage you have 34 games a season is simply mind-blowing. .... Amusingly you felt he is better than Gerrard, well Gerrard won the league and got to a European final. Villa took a punt and boom he showed at this stage he was simply not up to the premier league - but he won the spl with rangers......

seriously winning Aussie league is good for Aussies, but this is the big boys arena, here be managerial monsters.

Ps you know Arteta had been working with Gurdiola .... You know that bloke with German and Spanish and English and European titles....

Should we pick up some rugby union manager who has had success in the league in America and Canada? Because frankly that's size of the gulf here.

To think someone is good because the achieve success in the midst of mediocrity is just not right.....
So what im getting is you have a deep, unsettling hatred of all things scottish league

Back
Top Bottom