Next Manager Poll (poll reset 11/04/23)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Next Manager

• Rodgers

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Potter

Votes: 25 6.0%
  • Nagelsmann

Votes: 177 42.1%
  • Kompany

Votes: 43 10.2%
  • Slot

Votes: 91 21.7%
  • Postecoglou

Votes: 73 17.4%
  • De Zerbi

Votes: 31 7.4%
  • Xabi Alonso

Votes: 11 2.6%
  • Stellini

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Frank

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Luis Enrique

Votes: 21 5.0%
  • Zidane

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Glasner

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Amorim

Votes: 10 2.4%
  • Carrick

Votes: 9 2.1%
  • Gallardo

Votes: 23 5.5%
  • Schmidt

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters
Yes lets get Poch back when the same players are still here who got him sacked in the first place! :tobyarm:
I forgot that we still had:
Moussa Sissoko
Dele Alli
Toby Alderweirald
Danny Rose
Paulo Gazzaniga
Michel Vorm
Cameron Carter-Vickers
Serge Aurier
Juan Foyth
Kyle Walker-Peters
Victor Wanyama
Christian Eriksen
Georges-Kevin N'Koudou
Erik Lamela

That is 14 players that have left.

There are 10 Players still here with one leaving soon.
Luca Moura is leaving this summer.
Hugo Lloris is now 36 and will look to be replaced this summer.
Dier 2024
Davies 2025
Kane 2024
Winks 2024
NDombele 2025
Los Celso 2025
Sessegnon 2025
Son 2025

The whole thing about same players are BS. The fact is that in the current squad only 6 players of the 25 are the same.

Nothing.

But Liverpool had a better CB pairing and more importantly, an aggressively pressing front 3 that allowed everyone to play higher up the pitch. That helps to mask the defensive deficiencies of Trent.
Sorting out the centrebacks has to be priority #1. We've not been a steady ship since the Jan/Toby breakup.

Nothing.

But Liverpool had a better CB pairing and more importantly, an aggressively pressing front 3 that allowed everyone to play higher up the pitch. That helps to mask the defensive deficiencies of Trent.

Then the issue isn't whether or not our WBs are too attacking to play FB.....

Better CBs and keeper are pretty much essential regardless of any potential new system we employ.

I forgot that we still had:
Moussa Sissoko
Dele Alli
Toby Alderweirald
Danny Rose
Paulo Gazzaniga
Michel Vorm
Cameron Carter-Vickers
Serge Aurier
Juan Foyth
Kyle Walker-Peters
Victor Wanyama
Christian Eriksen
Georges-Kevin N'Koudou
Erik Lamela

That is 14 players that have left.

There are 10 Players still here with one leaving soon.
Luca Moura is leaving this summer.
Hugo Lloris is now 36 and will look to be replaced this summer.
Dier 2024
Davies 2025
Kane 2024
Winks 2024
NDombele 2025
Los Celso 2025
Sessegnon 2025
Son 2025

The whole thing about same players are BS. The fact is that in the current squad only 6 players of the 25 are the same.

you could probably remove sessegnon also, i dont think he played a game/trained for poch as he arrived seriously injuried

you could probably remove sessegnon also, i dont think he played a game/trained for poch as he arrived seriously injuried

I struggle to recall Lo Celso playing for Poch either; he too struggled with a niggle when he arrived.

Then the issue isn't whether or not our WBs are too attacking to play FB.....

Better CBs and keeper are pretty much essential regardless of any potential new system we employ.
I’m not saying they are at all.

You can absolutely win games and even have a good defensive record with Uber attacking wing-backs.

It won’t work if we have both Kane and Son in the front 3 though. It invites too much pressure onto the back 4 and if we did try to play an aggressive press, you have to think it would be played through too easily.

I struggle to recall Lo Celso playing for Poch either; he too struggled with a niggle when he arrived.

if he did it wasnt very many, tbh not even tangy played many under poch, he picked up a injury not too long after his debut.

really the only poch players left are kane, son, davies, sancez dier. Doubt Winks is coming back

We was never gonna get any top managers now till end of season. Most top managers want start fresh with a pre season
the only thing is JN coming in now could be the diff between a CL and EL club for next season but maybe he doesn't care about that.

I’m not saying they are at all.

Indeed you weren't.... That was the rhetoric being explored however.

You can absolutely win games and even have a good defensive record with Uber attacking wing-backs.

It won’t work if we have both Kane and Son in the front 3 though. It invites too much pressure onto the back 4 and if we did try to play an aggressive press, you have to think it would be played through too easily.

The what ifs of next season are many..... It feels rather futile to try and predict the broader line-up......

GK, CB & attack seems most likely where we'll spend our money.

if he did it wasnt very many, tbh not even tangy played many under poch, he picked up a injury not too long after his debut.

really the only poch players left are kane, son, davies, sancez dier. Doubt Winks is coming back

I think the biggest risk of Poch back-peddling to old was would be for him to fail to resist banking of Lloris as his new captain and spending another year to learn that he's not the keeper he used to be.

Kane - I doubt either side would have an issue.... And he's still the bollocks.
Davies & Sanchez were 1st pick players for him anyway... Even Dier was never 1 1st pick CB for him.

unfortunetly we will always get dug out in the press and media about trophies because of our position. The likes of newcastle, everton or Villa (big clubs especially the last 2) who havent won anything since the days of Socrates and Plato wont get it because they dont finish anywhere close to were we have the last decade so nothing is expected of them.

since 2009: 4th,5th,4th,5th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ,6th, 7th, 4th

then add being the 9th most valuable football club in the world,

The 2nd largest, and newest club stadium in the league

but not won a trophy for 15 years, I wonder if any clubs in the other top european leagues have a similar ailment to us. constant high league finishes, lots of money but never winning a trophy.

I suspect we're unfortunately unique in this

Whilst I agree with the general context, I don't think many other clubs across Europe at the same level as us are competing with 2 or 3 super clubs every single year across multiple competitions.

It's not like we haven't had chances to win a trophy in that time.

We've been to 8 semi finals and 6 finals in those 20 years under Levy, took the lead in a few of them too and ended up winning just the 1.

Is that down to bad luck? Poor coaching? Bad team decisions? Lack of depth? Who knows and it's frustrating. But we've had more than enough goes at glory.

Well yes; which is why I responded how I originally did.

There ARE possible reasons; that shouldn't be a stretch to one's imagination.

......Or his head is spinning after being dicked by BM and wants to get his head together before committing his future.

....Or that we're not the only club that has approached him already and he has options to consider.

Well it's not written in stone that we can't (as your post depicts), but equally if we're gonna have to spend 20m to buy out a manager then you'd hope he was at least someone near the very top of our list.

Christ not "only Spurs"-isms again...... :sigh:

There's been all sorts of caretaker shit going on in the EPL this season alone... Let alone other clubs in other leagues in other seasons.

The Chavs has Huddink x 2, Grant, Di Mateo, Rafa in quick succession.

So you did end up playing the ill-fitting Nuno card all along (as also pre-empted in my OG post).
You think the club are free from criticism because what? We wanted a few others before we resorted to him?

That we seemed to have a few names in mind and were then blown out of those waters by more attractive propositions is not a credit to the club.

The clusterfuck of Gattuso/Fonseca and then finally Nuno is not a credit to the club.

That there was such a steep drop off between the supposed top 2, 3, 4 or however many candidates to Nuno is absolutely not a credit to the club.

We sacked Mourinho with no plan in place, that was stupid, we used Mason as an interim and it was seen as a good thing to give us time to assess options and be sure of our next move. Things clearly didn't work out that way, by a long shot.

"We were hoping for... but... happened... so welcome Nuno" is not a fucking sound strategy.

As for the examples of other interims you gave, a lot of that seems to be Chelsea, and I'm pretty sure you've already alluded to them being something of an oddity. And they for the most part at least went out and got a proper manager, simply on a short term, heavily incentivised contract.

We had David Pleat dug out of his fossil, Tactics Tim, Ryan Mason on work experience... Basically whoever just happened to run into Levy in the corridor just after another sacking...

And then look at that managers that came in after those lengthy interim spells:

Jaques Santini

:levystare:

AVB

:levyeyes:

Nuno

:levywtf:

These don't scream "masterplan" to me.

The media are linking names now because that's what they do, I can fully believe that we won't even think about the issue until the summer, at which point if JN hasn't been taken on elsewhere already there's still every chance we give him a call only for him to say "nah not interested Dan, auf wieder sehn..."

If he needs a break then fine, get a contract signed and announced for next season to put speculation to bed. If he's keeping us waiting to see if a better job comes up then we need to strongly consider going for our second choice for stability sake, waiting around on the off chance that the hottest girl might go to prom with us if two or three other guys decide not to ask her is a chumps game.

You think the club are free from criticism because what? We wanted a few others before we resorted to him?

That we seemed to have a few names in mind and were then blown out of those waters by more attractive propositions is not a credit to the club.

The clusterfuck of Gattuso/Fonseca and then finally Nuno is not a credit to the club.

That there was such a steep drop off between the supposed top 2, 3, 4 or however many candidates to Nuno is absolutely not a credit to the club.

We sacked Mourinho with no plan in place, that was stupid, we used Mason as an interim and it was seen as a good thing to give us time to assess options and be sure of our next move. Things clearly didn't work out that way, by a long shot.

"We were hoping for... but... happened... so welcome Nuno" is not a fucking sound strategy.

As for the examples of other interims you gave, a lot of that seems to be Chelsea, and I'm pretty sure you've already alluded to them being something of an oddity. And they for the most part at least went out and got a proper manager, simply on a short term, heavily incentivised contract.

We had David Pleat dug out of his fossil, Tactics Tim, Ryan Mason on work experience... Basically whoever just happened to run into Levy in the corridor just after another sacking...

And then look at that managers that came in after those lengthy interim spells:

Jaques Santini

:levystare:

AVB

:levyeyes:

Nuno

:levywtf:

These don't scream "masterplan" to me.

The media are linking names now because that's what they do, I can fully believe that we won't even think about the issue until the summer, at which point if JN hasn't been taken on elsewhere already there's still every chance we give him a call only for him to say "nah not interested Dan, auf wieder sehn..."

If he needs a break then fine, get a contract signed and announced for next season to put speculation to bed. If he's keeping us waiting to see if a better job comes up then we need to strongly consider going for our second choice for stability sake, waiting around on the off chance that the hottest girl might go to prom with us if two or three other guys decide not to ask her is a chumps game.
It was not AVB after Tim it was Poch. Otherwise I agree Levy is pretty much a shit show when it comes to decisions.

Well according to the spendaholics and the hindsight pundits, it's all pretty much down to Levy if we continue to go without trophies.

In other words Woolwich maybe and Leicester were either built for success or had managers who got more from less. It must be one or the other.

So how much is enough and is it only enough when we win something and then how good must a manager be or doesn't it matter?

Nobody can provide an answer to the reason for our successive losses in key games, with our best players or 9 successive games falling behind, under a managee of Conte's standing.

Our squad is the 4th or 5th best in the PL. Conte failed to add the value his huge pay packet demanded and we are well rid.

But please someone please reveal hoe much we need to spend?

What ours is, is one of those inexplicsble and painful quirks of unbelievability

It was not AVB after Tim it was Poch. Otherwise I agree Levy is pretty much a shit show when it comes to decisions.
Fuck me, how did I muddle that up???

But remember the plan after Sherwood was supposed to be LVG, who, shock horror, ended up taking a different offer...

We then lucked in with Poch, and this is one of my big gripes, I don't want our future prospects to be determined entirely by chance, I want it to be by design!

the only thing is JN coming in now could be the diff between a CL and EL club for next season but maybe he doesn't care about that.
If I were a new manager on a 5 year contract, there's something to be said about being in the EL with a less challenging group stage. More games to utilize more varietal lineups early in your tenure to hone in on the players you want to build around.

No; I didn't say they are free from criticism. The outcome was absolutely crap.... Perhaps even rubber-stamped in retrospect by how Conte panned out.

I've not said they deserve credit for it.

See above.

Still see above.

All my point was is that "Yeh, but Nuno" isn't some all-purpose answer to any scenario being discussed.

We sacked Mourinho with no plan in place, that was stupid, we used Mason as an interim and it was seen as a good thing to give us time to assess options and be sure of our next move.

Are you basing that notion on anything in particular?

The fact is - as depicted by various reports - we started trying to hire people pretty much as soon as Jose was sacked...... The irony here is Levy got called a snide by some here when it was suspected he already had Jose in place before sacking Poch.

The whole thing about waiting for JN or Poch I've already covered in my prior posts.... There simply nothing more I can add other than; no, there ARE other reasons such as the ones I've already pointed to.

No; I didn't say they are free from criticism. The outcome was absolutely crap.... Perhaps even rubber-stamped in retrospect by how Conte panned out.

I've not said they deserve credit for it.

See above.

Still see above.

All my point was is that "Yeh, but Nuno" isn't some all-purpose answer to any scenario being discussed.

Are you basing that notion on anything in particular?

The fact is - as depicted by various reports - we started trying to hire people pretty much as soon as Jose was sacked...... The irony here is Levy got called a snide by some here when it was suspected he already had Jose in place before sacking Poch.

The whole thing about waiting for JN or Poch I've already covered in my prior posts.... There simply nothing more I can add other than; no, there ARE other reasons such as the ones I've already pointed to.
And I don't see that any of them are good ones, from our perspective at least. Sure, JN might want to wait and see if a club with nicer tits comes along for him, that's great for him, not for us.

Maybe things work out great for us, Stellini and Mason get us into CL, JN agrees to take over in the summer and we get a well planned TW and pre-season ahead of an exciting and successful season next year...

My experience supporting Spurs (and a healthy dose of natural pessimism I'll admit) suggests that will not be the case. I don't think we will get top 4, whether you like it or not that is what remains of this season to be classed as a success from this point forward (although sure, missing out could have it's own benefits). And then, if JN is not willing to take the job now, and not willing to sign up now to take over in the summer, then I imagine same as last time we wanted him, he will end up elsewhere, and where will we go from there?

I'd expect a similar clusterfuck as the last time the brain trust running Spurs got their heads together for this purpose.

You can be as optimistic as you like, I'd much prefer to keep my low expectations and have the possibility of being pleasantly surprised, the way I see it, your eternal sunny outlook for Spurs must be fucking soul destroying year after year.

Ok, after reading a piece on the 4222 that Nagelsmann tried before the World Cup at Bayern, I think I really would like him to be the manager for Spurs. That set-up sounded like a brilliant approach to our squad (when everyone are not injured).

I think the problem with evaluating manager hires is the same thing as Spurs transfers. We often don't know about the deals that didn't happen, and we don't know always why things went wrong. Everyone assumes it's always Levy's fault, and while often it has been, it hasn't always. Our problem after firing Mourinho was that we had a list, but all of the managers on it were grabbed elsewhere first, except for ETH, who apparently interviewed very badly. Then Paratici fucked up the best option we had that we could've chosen after that. And then we had dramas with Pochettino and Conte, neither of which panned out, but did eat the time we had to find a good alternative. After which, we were left to scramble because we were out of time. But looking at things logically. If you had a list that was initially Flick, Ten Hag, Nagelsmann, Potter, and you had 3 say no, and Ten Hag seem sketchy in person, what do you do next? You need to make a new list, and start the process again. But then you suddenly have Pochettino and Conte available. Do you ignore them and stick to your list? If you don't, that takes a lot of time that means if they can't come, you have no time left to find anyone else decent. Levy decided to ignore the list, and chase those two. I think most fans would have done the same. And it didn't pan out. that left us with Gattuso and then Nuno. Because that was all that was left after trying every alternative.

I am not happy with things winding up how they did in that summer, but it's not something which you can only blame Levy for. This summer looks like a repeat of the same situation. Us, PSG, Real Madrid and maybe Liverpool are all going to be looking for managers. And we're going to be looking at the same group of people. It's going to be a very tricky situation, and you have to think about it from the perspective of the potential managers. No one would sign a contract today, since you want to wait until the summer to see all the options. All we can do is talk to the people on our list, and try to agree as many things in advance as possible, and then wait until the summer to see how things work out. It's not ideal, but there is not much as fans that we can do about it.

Back
Top Bottom