Dele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Loan deal, does this mean Everton avoid having to give us any more money for him?
Rumours are we get 25% of any loan fee and 50% of sale (who knows if true). We pay none of his wages, Everton paying a proportion on loan.

'
Everton will get a £1.86m (€2.2m) loan fee, and Besiktas will pay just £8,430 (€10,000) of Alli's wages per game.

😂
So that equates to be about £50k a week altogether.

So we’re basically paying for him to play in Turkey

And we wonder why we’re in a financial mess'

Do tell....?

Poch, Eriksen, Dembele?

Walker (Sold to City)
Rose (Long term injury)
Wanyama (Chronic knee injury)

The first three.

It meant we completely changed how we play or didn't have the right players to play the way that made the likes of Dele flourish. By losing Wanyama, we changed the system at times to play a diamond which never suited the players we had. We also brought in Winks to start more games and Dele had to move deeper in the process.

Dembele's fitness became more and more questionable too.

Dele Alli's rise at Spurs was a stars aligning moment. From Poch being our coach, Walker and Rose's rise, Dembele's renaissance, Kane's rise etc. - but his decline was just as much a stars dissolving moment where too many bad things happened over a really short period of time.

Walker (Sold to City)
Rose (Long term injury)
Wanyama (Chronic knee injury)

The first three.

It meant we completely changed how we play or didn't have the right players to play the way that made the likes of Dele flourish. By losing Wanyama, we changed the system at times to play a diamond which never suited the players we had. We also brought in Winks to start more games and Dele had to move deeper in the process.

I don't entirely agree..... The above effectively pin-points Dele's decline as starting from summer 2017.

Productivity per min dips 18/19 (following the below mention injuries) and goes back up the following season.

Dembele's fitness became more and more questionable too.

These things effect the overall team, of course, but I maintain the Dele's own physical decline(*) is a (if not thee) primary factor in his downturn.

(*17/18 was a bad year for him injury wise and then he compounded things by playing injured through the WCup that following summer.)

If Dele was entirely dependent on the players/system around him, then how do we account for the 'up time' in his international career?

I don't entirely agree..... The above effectively pin-points Dele's decline as starting from summer 2017.

Productivity per min dips 18/19 (following the below mention injuries) and goes back up the following season.

17/18 - Lost Walker, Rose and Wanyama injured. Didn't improve starting eleven. Forced Poch to play inferior full backs, changed the system and Dele's performance suffered as a result. There were glimpses of 'old Dele' throughout but the system didn't help him one bit. This is year I remember fans starting to get on his back. Quite harshly, considering the years prior.

18/19 he declined massively. I put this down mostly to the fact our 16/17 team was pretty much gone at this point and the hamstring injury that I think to this day has cost him his top flight career. Eriksen didn't want to be here anymore. Dembele was sold off. Rose was a shadow. Walker long gone. Alderweirelds decline. Vertonghen on his last legs

19/20 is the season you show anyone who values statistics over eye test. Statistically, yes, better than the previous season, but it was obviously the new manager bounce and short lived confidence that bumped that up. His overall game was pretty much non-existent at this point. Hanging on for Dele this long not only hindered our growth but hindered his career too.

The less said about 20/21 and 21/22 the better.

These things effect the overall team, of course, but I maintain the Dele's own physical decline(*) is a (if not thee) primary factor in his downturn.

(*17/18 was a bad year for him injury wise and then he compounded things by playing injured through the WCup that following summer.)

If Dele was entirely dependent on the players/system around him, then how do we account for the 'up time' in his international career?

Dele was heavily reliant on players around him. The typical systems player. He benefited through having better footballers around him mixed in with a system that was used to get best out of his strengths mixed in with his hunger and desire of a youngster that wanted it all.

I don't remember ever watching Dele for England and being impressed. When was the up time in his international career? He's scored 3 goals for his country. Bare in mind, up until the point of his last ever cap (back in 2019), he'd never scored less than at least 7 goals in all comps from the moment he started games as a 16 year old. A shocking return.

He scored a great goal on his debut (I think France was his debut), during the height of his confidence. But he pretty much flattered to deceive most of the time he put that England shirt on. Of course there were highs (World Cup Quarters) but he also had highs during his decline with us too (Ajax semi).

I'll always remember that 2x YPOTY Dele who was fantastic in one of the best Spurs teams I've seen. But he's a cautionary tale.

I don’t think he was entirely dependent on the system but the system made him look better than he actually was.

It combined with his decline in athleticism and led to the significant overall decline.

Dele also never worked on his all around game so he had nothing to fall back on once his strengths declined.

Back
Top Bottom