Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't buy into this bullshit peddled about players being available.
Its lazy and it's nonsense.
The transfer market has always been about the powerful clubs identifying a player and using their financial muscle to unsettle and land their target. Available or Not
They don't wait for a player to be made available or put on the market
That works with players that are in lower ranked teams, that have players who are happy to leave for higher ranked clubs.

The players we've primarily been linked with are playing for higher ranked clubs and have no desire to leave them. I'm alluding to the likes of Bastoni here. You've also got to factor in how much the other club wants to sell.

If you try the unsettling that you refer to, it rarely works with these bigger clubs. Look at how City fared when they tried to unsettle Kane. We didn't want to sell, so he stayed. The financial powerhouse that is Man Utd aren't exactly having huge success there either.

You have a very simplistic view on how transfers go, usually used as a vehicle to bash the club.

What, you mean the ENIC fanbois all came in their pants too early?
Who'd have thunk it.
I don't understand? Should spurs fans not be excited be incomings, irrespective of whether you determine them good or not?

Every signing is something to be excited about, but your criticising said excitement, despite calling for more signings, which we will get excited about again.

Or is it, only you, and certain others know when the right time to get excited is?

I don't understand? Should spurs fans not be excited be incomings, irrespective of whether you determine them good or not?

Every signing is something to be excited about, but your criticising said excitement, despite calling for more signings, which we will get excited about again.

Or is it, only you, and certain others know when the right time to get excited is?

Getting excited by proven quality 1st team players is cause for ridicule according to the dark, turgid & miserable world of some.

Seeing us spend 60m on a single bench player is an indicator of us seeking the "cheapest option" according to the same contingent.

The usual pocket of people are so transparently desperate for Conte's tenure to go to shit; it's palpable.

You have a very simplistic view on how transfers go, usually used as a vehicle to bash the club.
The OWNERS, mate. Not the CLUB

*these stepford supporters really need to start distinguishing between the two*

Anyhow, that aside, 1 Carling Cup in over 2 decades, and 0 trophies in 15 years, for a club of our size and wealth surely indicates I have a very valid point.

The stats don't lie, my friend, whichever way you want to spin them

Edit: Big thanks to todd1882 todd1882 for enlightening me to the term "Stepford fan / supporter"
I think I'll be using it quite a lot in the future

Last edited:
The OWNERS, mate. Not the CLUB

*these stanford supporters really need to start distinguishing between the two*

Anyhow, that aside, 1 Carling Cup in over 2 decades, and 0 trophies in 15 years, for a club of our size and wealth surely indicates I have a very valid point.

The stats don't lie, my friend, whichever way you want to spin it
audi cup and the tull trophy

come on dont forget those

Good and honest question, I like those.

I personally believe we will. Maybe even more than 1.
Most of the reasons are already outlined here, but I'd make my own recap of the reasons why we are not finished from buying side as well.
1) It was always communicated that 150 mil would be made available + money from sales of players. Right now we have used up 122 mil if we include Udogie deal as well. But we have got 38 mil back from sales. With Winks, Lo Celso, Regulion, Ndombele, Tanganga all expected to leave (and possibly some from trio Sarr, Gil, Royal as well), I'd assume we will earn back ~60 mil (some will be loans most likely). That would mean our net outlay would be ~24 mil. You can play around with estimations - if we earn further 50 mil, net outlay would be 34 mil for example. We will not smash the 150 mil net with one window, but I think it is very reasonable to assume we will use up more than 1/5th of the money.
2) There have been VERY concrete and "stubborn" rumors about us still being on the market. Specially for a midfielder/creative player. With Maddisson and Zaniolo links have not been seriously denied either. So I think there is room to believe we are working on something. Also Ali Gold also indicated that we would be seriously interested in strengtening even more than one position.
3) Looking at the recent movements - we shipped out Rodon with option to buy and we also seem to be moving on Tanganga. That would mean two out and one in for CB position that everyone agreed, would need more depth. This would not make sense really. While it is possible that Conte considers Royal as backup for RCB and Romero for CCB (so we'd have Davies+Lenglet; Dier+Romero; Sanchez+Royal as options) it would still look bit quesitonable.

So I really do believe, that we are very much interested in CM+CB or at least one of the two. But we have got to the point where outgoings are also important to create space into the team. It could just be that recently focus has been on outgoings + Udogie deal. There is still lot of time left to wrap number of things up. Both in and out.

It wasn't really communicated that way at all - all that was said by the club was that 150m share issue was put in place to help the club with transfers and other capital projects, or words to that effect. Nothing was said about it being in addition to existing budget or whatever - for all we know 150m was to allpw us to get signings in without first having to raise cash through sales and any money brought in goes to recouping what was spent.

confused-icegif-5.gif

LOL’ing at the disagree

Don't even need to look to know it's any of about 5 repeat offenders.

Our window has been solid. It hasn't been spectacular. The squad is deeper which is good.
The fact we have Conte probably elevates the signings considerably over what they would be for a Nono type coach.

When the news broke about the mythical £150m kitty though, the ENIC bots were making out as if everyone who doubted ENIC was and still is wrong.
And yet we spent half the window haggling over £12m for Spence. Seem to be identifying cheaper alternatives to the likes of Maddison etc.

The current net spend is what £50m or so?
It's better than some windows, but it's not an all out "go get em" window.

Just to clarify - I'm ok with that. We did it with GLC and TND and now we're stuck with the fuckers.
Conte today has said he wants to build the squad with common sense "the only way I know how"
He's right.
I just think, and I thought months ago, let's wait and see how this all pans out before anyone get's to say they told anyone so.

Back
Top Bottom