Aston Villa (A) - 9th April - 530 KO.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Has anyone said he’s world class? Haven’t seen it once. What I have seen is people say he’s been our best CM since he arrived and was really only poor the United game
feel free to check the player thread. All I said was that he's an upgrade on Winks/PEH/Lo Celso etc. but not world class, and got dogpiled.

Can we talk about how much of a liability Emerson is?

Defensively he is fine. But he indirectly puts pressure on the other players when playing out from the back, because he is never threatening to take the ball forward. So Villa can put more pressure on the other players. But unfortunately Reguillon also doesnt seem to have the confidence to look forward.

I can't imagine they can keep this intensity up throughout the full 90 so I fully expect us to be much better in the second half.

To be fair they have some really good players and should be a more than decent Premier League side. Coutinho, McGinn, Cash, Ings, Watkins etc. But we've definitely played well within ourselves.

Some people on here are still living in a fantast world, thinking most of our players are some class, where they clearly are terrible, which they showed in like 3-4 different managers already.
Villa totally dominates us and only their weak finishing is saving us from being down by at least 2-3 goals so far.
Terrible defence, and totally lacking midfielder. But what was last week, last month doesn't matter, we are playing now, not last week.
Most of our players aren't good enough, and we won't achieve anything with them. So, so poor.
The good thing is that Villa has to be dead tired in the second half.

Bore off, trauma hound....

Why aren’t we up for it and surely we would have expected them to come out like that?
We don't have the quality. PEH, Emerson, Regui, and bentancur can't handle a press. Neither can Dier and Son tbh.

Kane can, but he's had a poor game so far.

Ignoring one of the most incompetent refereeing performances I've seen for a while, we've been awful.

We've got a real problem in midfield when we don't have the ball, and winning second balls, where they have 3 (and a decent three) +Coutinho verses our two, meaning they are walking round our midfield.

And so many times Hojbjerg (particularly) and Bentancur (who have been really poor the pair of them with and without the ball) are turning back into trouble when they could turn forwards and just piling on extra pressure on a defence already creaking under pressure.

Conte's got to do something at half time to change things up tactically. Even if he just goes to a back 4 and sticks Romero up onto Coutinho.

Kane's been poor and Kulusevski and Son have been invisible.
Yeah thought about that. But Romero is one mistimed challenge from getting sent off. I'm concerned about that.

Might be worth taking him off and going 4 at the back. Personally I'd put on White into midfield. He'll add some much needed control in possession.

Emerson has been absolutely crap, I’ve said it so many times but he cannot play football at this level. He makes the basics look so difficult, he can’t even run with the ball or pass sideways with any accuracy. Isn’t brave enough to get forward and put himself about like Doherty either.

Please god let Doherty’s knee be alright, if we have to play with Emerson for the rest of the season we are going to be in difficulty.

He can def. play at this level, but never in the role we need in this team. He would be perfect as an defensive FB so someone like Simeone. But he is shit going forward or beeing an outlet in building the play.

To be fair they have some really good players and should be a more than decent Premier League side. Coutinho, McGinn, Cash, Ings, Watkins etc. But we've definitely played well within ourselves.
Looking at their XI today, they should be where Wolves and West Ham are, not the other way around. I'd take Matty Cash at Spurs all day. Super technical player from what I've seen.

What's Emerson got to do with Hojbjerg shitting his pants every time someone gives him the ball?
If you look at our past games, Hojberg didn't have to run the while pitch every single time. He'd share the responsibility. Now he is having to cover for Romero because Romero is babysitting both Emerson and Reggie. Having a CB work that hard always puts pressure on your CDM. And look when he has the ball. Both wingback start running as if they in the races. They not reading the game at all. The hole is developing in our middle because our wide players are both out of the game.

Back
Top Bottom