January 2022 - Transfer Window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our philosophy has been to sign players off the back of one good season and it's happened time and time again.
Jansen
GLC
Ndombele
Royal
Romero
Clarke
Sanchez
There’s really is no plan , very little research , it’s a scattergun mentality which is very amateurish & ultimately is detrimental to the club. Full of deadwood

It’s great if you want to start a bonfire though

Covid made no difference to them, they apparently sold out all their games behind closed doors.
He’s a good player though. Could work in a 2 with Kane. Madrid getting Haaland in the Summer so they’ll sell him no problem.

Feels like a realistic January move. A player that needs to be rehabilitated, not especially expensive.

With Vlahovic gone, I can’t see us having any realistic Summer target?

We need better defenders. You're being a bit "binary" here. There isn't a queue of people desperate to take these players.
We want a CB, it seems we do want this Carlos chap. If Seville happen to want one of ours, that reduces money changing hands. We don't need to get rid of all 3 of those players and bring in like for likes. We could afford (as in afford to lose, not have money, we all know there's like no money) the 3 of them and bring only one attacking midfielder in. For now.
Don't CIS shame me...

It's all very well to talk about shipping out Tanguy, Dele, GLC and (strangest of all) Bergwijn, but unless they are replaced we will be criminally short of bodies in midfield.

Forget "creative options", we won't have options, full stop.

And fingers need to be pointed at who got them in . Of course the market has it risks but simple Google searches show that players like Tanguy etc we’re always going to be headaches

. Didn’t Royal get bought for €9m euros in June 2021 & 2 months later we paid €26m ? It’s a joke
no
barcelona paid him 13.2 M from atletico mineiro
then sell him for 6.6 M to real betis
then re-buy him for 15.4 M
so barcelona paid for him 22 M globally

Every time another club is in for a player, we always say this.

Stop it!
In my defence, I’ve mentioned Jovic about three or four times over the last six months.

I know he’s struggling with confidence at the moment, but if we’re not going to shell out lots of money for either established or up and coming prospects, Jovic is the sort of player we might look at.

I like him. Traditional striker. Think he has the physical game for the PL. He could play in a 2 with Kane.

We're Lo Celso and Ndombele bad signings? At the time I thought so, but I never imagined it would be poor attitude that would let us down.

Erikson out, Lo Celso in ? This was clearly never going to work. GLC never had a good record of goal assists and it was clear from him play that he holds on to the ball too long to be successful in the EPL. He has never shown any long passing ability.

Ndombele.....Wonderful I hear you all say. Exactly what we needed. So my first question - Is he a Dembele replacement - to which everyone replies NO because his workrate off the ball is poor..... OK, is he a number 10? Clearly NOT. Never got more than a couple of goals a season and never double digit assists - in a tin pot league.

We're hearing rumours now of Kessie coming in - a player who scored 13 and assisted 6 in La Liga last year....Which for somebody playing Defensive midfield is great and would seem a perfect player to partner with Holjberg / Skipp / Winks and a rotating midfield, with Sarr also coming in the summer (end of the road for Winks?)
Great post.
Fergie had enormous success over the years by replacing like for like. Some were better than others but they all fitted his system. He didn't change his system to suit them.
The Royal transfer is also a bit of a mystery.
The dream is for Conte to have a real say in transfers.

In my defence, I’ve mentioned Jovic about three or four times over the last six months.

I know he’s struggling with confidence at the moment, but if we’re not going to shell out lots of money for either established or up and coming prospects, Jovic is the sort of player we might look at.

I like him. Traditional striker. Think he has the physical game for the PL. He could play in a 2 with Kane.

Oh fine. Fucking fine.

You are forgiven

:)

Every time another club is in for a player, we always say this.

Stop it!
It might be tiresome but every TW there are dozens of transfers like that where you can say that would have been a good move for Spurs.

Honestly, a group of blokes with a passing interest in football reading the back pages of the Sun for transfer tip offs would probably be no worse at squad building than our scouting department at present.

I'm not saying I want to keep him, I'm saying swapping him for a defender will be a stupid move based on how incompetent we all know the club to be in the transfer market, if he's going he needs to be replaced by an attacking player capable of providing what we hope he would have done.

Don't tell me you have any faith that the club would swap him for a defender and sort the attacking department out later on? If we did that, and then Vlahovic suddenly became available for £5m, Levy would drag his feet trying to sell off Doherty/Tanganga/Rodon or whoever before greenlighting the purchase.

If a club is interested in Gio, we have to act on it. There are going to be very few takers for a player as bad as him. We have to be pragmatic when dealing with huge flops on big salaries. We take what we can get.

Some cracking sources this morning - MailSport, SunSport, ExpressSport and the renowned Ryan Taylor Sport. Dredging the barrel of shite today.

Journos and aggregates creating hysteria to click bait for clicks and engagement, what a surprise. Fans believing and reading into them and sharing them adding to the hysteria, what a surprise.

It might be tiresome but every TW there are dozens of transfers like that where you can say that would have been a good move for Spurs.

Honestly, a group of blokes with a passing interest in football reading the back pages of the Sun for transfer tip offs would probably be no worse at squad building than our scouting department at present.

Fair enough, won't argue with most of that.

Sorry - feeling a bit grumpy today

Back
Top Bottom