Summer 2013 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, I don't think there are many good chairmen at top-flight clubs.

Most just splash the cash, and that's their legacy. Eventually the music stops and they shuffle off. Levy ranks highly almost by default, in my opinion.

I'd rather have Levy than any of his counterparts in the Premier League (possible exception for Swansea, I like the cut of their jib). And, outside of Madrid and Barca it's a merry-go-round in La Liga. 5 years ago you might say Seville and Valencia were well-run clubs nipping at the heels of the dynamic duo, but look where they are now. Bilbao ranks highly simply because it's a wonder that they can even remain in the top flight with their transfer policies, and beyond that I can't name any clubs that've been remarkably well run, even the flavor of the moment A. Madrid looks like its foray into the top of the table will be a brief one.

In Serie they're all a bunch of cunts.

Only place that I'd really concede my argument is toward Bundesliga clubs. Very well run league, top to bottom, but Bayern's Galacticos policies doesn't engender them much support, either.

Levy has been fantastic. I don't think anyone disagrees for the most part. But we need one position more than any other. ONE FUCKING POSITION. And it's the position that's supposed to score goals. He should understand that, the market, and just get it fucking done.

It's one fucking position... everyone with eyes knows spurs have needed one for at least two seasons. You have to fault him if something doesn't happen. Even if it's not someone prolific..we only have 2 senior strikers. I don't think that's acceptable for most clubs, let alone one trying to push for 4th or better.

Saying that doesn't mean you're jumping on some hang Levy bandwagon.

^ Arguably more than two seasons.

I think that's what it boils down to and why people are frustrated. It really is a case of filling a very obvious position. The fans know it. AVB clearly knows it. Harry knew it. I expect Baldini has recognised it as well. We arguably lost out on CL in both of the past two seasons because we needed that extra striker (an extra couple of points would've been all we needed both times, which another striker would've probably gotten for us). We've lost out on two of our targets with not a lot left and the expectation of AVB with be to get us into the CL with an increasingly tougher set of teams around him. He can't work miracles and with the inevitable sale of Bale either this year or next, we cannot be looking for huge goal returns from the midfield or wings. With all these factors in mind, it's understandable when, yet again, the rumours doing the rounds is that we are trying to be clever on our deals or trying to haggle and delay, the fans then become itchy. If we were talking about, say, a left back I don't think the reaction would be the same.

Up until this point I have been a big backer of Levy, but I will start to have problems if we don't sign a striker this window. We have "got away" without signing a striker (even though we missed CL) but if we don't sign someone now, we'll get left in the dust.
This is our (and Woolwich's) chance more than ever to get properly in amongst the top 4 andit would be foolish to pass up this opportunity.
What makes it even more important to sign a striker is that if we don't get CL this year, we could very well be royally fucked. 0% chance of keeping Bale (as if there is a chance anyway) and the money from his sale would be near worthless, without the draw of CL for the stars. The only thing drawing players in is our "bright future" and if we keep bottling CL that interest will start to fade.

tl;dr we need a striker

The thing that really irks me about Levy is how many of these deals get so close and then crash over a few million quid or long term payment plans.

We aren't City or Chelsea obviously and Levy does a good job navigating the club's money. However, IMO it seems like a lot of these failed deals stem from Levy's personal pride in being able to get the cheapest deal rather than due to the club's financial situation. It looks like arrogance and it seems like a lot of other clubs see it the same way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom