Vitesse Arnhem v Tottenham Hotspur 17:45 Thurs October 21st

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's very hard to play football when a referee is whistle-happy in a match, and this ref was a homer. Coz it's the "conference" you will get the worst refs from every EU Brexit-hating country. Nuno didn't help playing the reserves and that's where he has to get more out of the players as Solsjaer did just now after his team were looking lazy.

Spurs need to press more and work harder. That way you can beat 12 men which is normally the case.

The major crime here was not bagging an additional goal-scorer. Ideally I'd have liked that to be a high grade RWF that would have helped both the first XI and our rotation options.
Leicester got one for under £25m this summer, they already had Perez, Vardy and Iheanacho…

Why shoot the manager again. It was THESE players that got Poch the sack.
Just think, we could have had Jose and lost 6-1 !

THE PROBLEM IS NOT THE MANAGER !
The problem is the manager. He is clueless. The fact is he is a budget Mourinho just with none of the charisma. The squad is not as weak as it looks but he just told the 11 players on the pitch tonight they were not in his plans for the weekend after we beat Newcastle 3-2. Nuno should never have been hired he has less ability than Tony Pulitzer or Sam Allardyce.

So, do you think the issue is the players? :sonpoint:

In all honesty, the side picked should’ve been able to win today. Yeah, we need a striker…as usual, but if those players were going to do anything ever, they should’ve been able to handle this game.

We don't have an entitlement to win because we are EPL and they are from the DUTCH farmers league.

Good football teams are just that - teams. Not individuals, but 11 players on the pitch. When you put a starting 11 out that hasn't played together before you are not going to see a cohesive unit.

I don't think the result was unexpected, and a draw was probably our expectation.

Nuno was probably right to rest our core group of players - big game at the weekend and top 4 will clearly be priority number 1 this season.

Gil is looking like he will become a star in years to come.

Aside from City and United - How good really are the '2nd 11' of Chelsea/Woolwich/Liverpool/Westham/Leicester.

We don't have an entitlement to win because we are EPL and they are from the DUTCH farmers league.

Good football teams are just that - teams. Not individuals, but 11 players on the pitch. When you put a starting 11 out that hasn't played together before you are not going to see a cohesive unit.

I don't think the result was unexpected, and a draw was probably our expectation.

Nuno was probably right to rest our core group of players - big game at the weekend and top 4 will clearly be priority number 1 this season.

Gil is looking like he will become a star in years to come.

Aside from City and United - How good really are the '2nd 11' of Chelsea/Woolwich/Liverpool/Westham/Leicester.
Agreed BUT you would expect at least 3 or 4 of them to bust a gut trying to get into the first 11

The problem is the manager. He is clueless. The fact is he is a budget Mourinho just with none of the charisma. The squad is not as weak as it looks but he just told the 11 players on the pitch tonight they were not in his plans for the weekend after we beat Newcastle 3-2. Nuno should never have been hired he has less ability than Tony Pulitzer or Sam Allardyce.

Let's see how the first 11 perform on Sunday.
If Nuno is such a bad choice, we will see 11 headless chickens running around again.
Manager's do not need charisma, Nuno is a quiet contemplater
Why can't people see that these are the same players that got Poch sacked
Even Poch started to realise that Winks, Dier etc were not going to taken us forward. Dele seems more interested in investing his money than getting back.
Jose tried to work with what he had but lost it because he couldn't.
Ultimately you have to get rid of players who are disrupting the team.
Fergus sold Beckham ! And others ! There is no I in team.
Finally do you really think that changing the manager will bring more stability ?

I have to admit I was nervous when I saw the subs bench and it may as well have been made up of Football Manager regens for how familiar I was with them. Anyone who watches every Spurs game could predict that first XI was going to struggle against any team that was fired up to win.

When has there been a game in the Europa or Conference League where we've started a total B team and not had to haul on our actually good players to rescue us? I'm speaking all the way back to the Poch days here. Our second string has never been good enough. Having absolutely zero substitutes who could improve us wasn't a great idea if we wanted to win.
Our bench is really terrible. We have about 15 players in our squad that are top flight level. Rest are mid table champo players.

Agreed BUT you would expect at least 3 or 4 of them to bust a gut trying to get into the first 11

I didn't watch the entire game so can't comment on the performances. From the highlights, our defence looked pretty organised.

However, its important to remember that elite footballers are often taught discipline and level headedness are key to good performances. When players start running around like mad, that is when they make mistakes - who can forget when our team busted a gut and gave their all against Chelsea a few years ago - Pretty much cost us the league title.

I didn't watch the entire game so can't comment on the performances. From the highlights, our defence looked pretty organised.

However, its important to remember that elite footballers are often taught discipline and level headedness are key to good performances. When players start running around like mad, that is when they make mistakes - who can forget when our team busted a gut and gave their all against Chelsea a few years ago - Pretty much cost us the league title.
To update you
Dele, Winks etc were just hopeless. I would love to see how many touches each of them had. I actually forgot that Dele was still on in the 2nd half !
The one shot on target came from Gil . He can hold his head up as can the defence to a point, but he lost the guy who scored.
Bergy and GLC looked off their best, Scarlett is not ready for this.
The one bright spark was Markandy who showed more commitment in 20 mins than most.
We had10 internationals on the pitch, being paid millions.
They should hold their heads in shame especially Dele and Winks.

I don’t get the assumption that the second string losing is natural. If the players are well coached they will also play well. If it’s just the good players playing well it’s a sign the manager sucks. Obviously. This isn’t Manchester City. The manager job is also to improve the players that are not top level. We need a manager that makes the team play well no matter the players. The results depend more in a combination of good tactics and good players, but the style it’s much more to the manager.

I don’t get the assumption that the second string losing is natural. If the players are well coached they will also play well. If it’s just the good players playing well it’s a sign the manager sucks. Obviously. This isn’t Manchester City. The manager job is also to improve the players that are not top level. We need a manager that makes the team play well no matter the players. The results depend more in a combination of good tactics and good players, but the style it’s much more to the manager.

I guess the real question is how many training sessions this group of 11 have had together as a group - probably not many would be my guess.

Looking at the teamsheet, Gio and Dele should have been the players pulling the strings. Winks is there to be tidy, retain possession and get the ball to GLC to progress.

I get the feeling that GLC wonders how he can be playing alongside Messi one week and Harry Winks the next. He did not put in the effort you'd expect from a high cost signing. Lazy, lazy guy.

Dele I'm not suprised about because he's been on a downward trajectory for a very long time. I'd be insulting MK Dons if I said he played like one of their B team today.

What do you expect, they've pretty much been thrown together which is what happens when you have an 11 made up of the rest, no excusing the performance though.
To some extent but many teams change their players. Spam made 6 changes v gent and tonked them.
It’s the attitude, mentality, coaching and lack of motivation/ inspiration. Nuno brings none of that nor instilled any of that in the team. Does anyone really think he goes in at HT and gives dele a rollicking ?
If we were coached to a style and system of play then it would be far easier for the players to adapt. For me it’s the same as under Dino with both our first 11 and back up players just hope for the best that some of our more talented players can pull something out of the bag. Can anyone really say what type of game plan we had yday? It was the same v goons. No press, no urgency , too slow, long punts down field etc.

So Davies saying these players need minutes, and now because of results, these players will lose more minutes because first teamers will have to play to carry on.

Did anyone make an argument for more time?
Minutes where? Didn’t most of them play 3 games for their national sides?
Just a joke! A lot of them have also played in the PL this season. If they are not getting more minutes now in the first 11 then they need to look at their own performances. Dele had plenty of minutes in the first 6 games but proved to be utter shite. Does davies think they all deserve more minutes? They play once a week in the ECL that should be enough. Bloody theyd complain if they had to play two games a week. Fucking mind boggles at the brains of some some of these highly paid players.
Does davies say more minutes means minutes in the PL? Christ the guy is deluded!

If Nuno can't fashion a performance out of these players then there is zero point in having him.

But imagine looking to your manager for a gee-up nd all you see is him standing forlornly stroking his beard then re-folding his arms.

These may be bad players, however there is absolutely nothing being done to train them to be cohesive or to improve.
100% agree!

Keeping them 100% for westham. Id be pissed if we won this and then lost to westham instead because everyone looked tired.
Who says we are going to beat spam? On current form in terms of goals, style of play , passion, fight etc they are better than us. No given we beat them.
Nuno has to now win this game or I think it’s goodbye! His made too many fuck ups already and has delivered no coaching or tactical master class since being appointed.

I have to admit I was nervous when I saw the subs bench and it may as well have been made up of Football Manager regens for how familiar I was with them. Anyone who watches every Spurs game could predict that first XI was going to struggle against any team that was fired up to win.

When has there been a game in the Europa or Conference League where we've started a total B team and not had to haul on our actually good players to rescue us? I'm speaking all the way back to the Poch days here. Our second string has never been good enough. Having absolutely zero substitutes who could improve us wasn't a great idea if we wanted to win.
I think it was all about proving to levy that the second 11 are not good enough and need to be moved on,

Since 2015, we’ve signed Llorente, Vinicious, Bale and Janssen.

It’s 2021 and we’re using a 17yr old as back up, and our other big hope is another 17yr old on loan somewhere

This club is a shambles, that we know.

But anyone who didn’t advocate striker rotation and integration during Pochs five year reign need not complain now.

👍

I guess the real question is how many training sessions this group of 11 have had together as a group - probably not many would be my guess.

Looking at the teamsheet, Gio and Dele should have been the players pulling the strings. Winks is there to be tidy, retain possession and get the ball to GLC to progress.
when the team have practice matches it must be first 11 V second 11 otherwise how do the first 11 get a feel for how each other play ?

Back
Top Bottom