Summer 2021 - Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we’ve potentially signed a great promising young winger but people still find reason to be upset?

I fully agree that we need new defenders more than we do wingers, but this seems to be one of those opportunities that just opened up and we’d be foolish to pass up on.
If anything, to me it's a sign that maybe there's a bit more money in the transfer pot than the club are letting on, and a bit more going on behind the scenes regarding players being moved out. Every man and his dog knows that CB is the area most in need of strengthening, Paratici knows the game well and obviously won't be blind to this. I'm really excited by the last few days, the surprise announcement of this Gil/Lamela move makes me think anything could be on the table these next few weeks. Hopefully that doesn't include Kane leaving.

There'll always be some moaning fuckers. It's an opportunity that's presented itself...you don't just wait until your problem positions are sorted before pouncing on something like that, or you likely lose that opportunity.

If spurs have decided that they can afford this deal alongside absolutely improving the defence, then I am 100% in favour of it.
Exactly this.

Not being more proactive about signing players in position we’re we’ve got some strength but no real young back ups is what got us in this mess to begin with.

People mock the whole “it’s hard to improve our squad line” but turning up your nose at this signing because we didn’t have an urgent need for it is effectively the same thing

Last edited:
Most clubs in the world will have players in their academies who are better than Winks, Sissoko and Aurier.
Really....? This is a bold statement to make!

Reality is that those 3 get a lot of stick around here and the prime reason is that they aren't good enough for where we fans want and expect the club to be, which is challenging for top 4 at the very least.

Sissoko was (and still is, albeit off the bench) a French international; Winks has caps for England (lord knows how..!).

The fact is they could and would do a job for many mid table top division clubs,because that is their level.

The fact we are struggling to shift them simply implies that we are asking for too much money for them / their wages are putting off potential suitors, particularly in a covid depressed environment.

To say no one wants them, however, is a gross simplification and simply not true

My only concern would be that reports coming out surrounding specifically Romero are that Tottenham and Atalanta are not close in their prices..

If we aren't close we probably shouldn't be spending 25 million euros on a winger. I'd rather all our money was put towards that marquee CB.
Maybe (maybe being the keyword here) this was the only viable deal or simple best deal - so far - Spurs have received for Lamela, and thus saw it as a good time to move Lamela out and get a promising replacement at the same time.
Spurs do need a lef-footed forward on the right. I would have preferred to have Spurs re-sign Madueke for the LWF position but one can't always have what one wants in life...

Really....? This is a bold statement to make!

Reality is that those 3 get a lot of stick around here and the prime reason is that they aren't good enough for where we fans want and expect the club to be, which is challenging for top 4 at the very least.

Sissoko was (and still is, albeit off the bench) a French international; Winks has caps for England (lord knows how..!).

The fact is they could and would do a job for many mid table top division clubs,because that is their level.

The fact we are struggling to shift them simply implies that we are asking for too much money for them / their wages are putting off potential suitors, particularly in a covid depressed environment.

To say no one wants them, however, is a gross simplification and simply not true

No one wants them at the rate Levy will want.
He'll still view Winks as a home grown international worth in excess of £30m
Who would pay it?

No one wants them at the rate Levy will want.
He'll still view Winks as a home grown international worth in excess of £30m
Who would pay it?
Yes--the rate Levy will want, and also the salary they are on. It's not simply a matter of asking: is this player in my academy better or worse than Sissoko (or Dier, or whomever)? It's also a matter of looking at the budget, and asking whether the possible improvement over an academy player is worth the fee + salary involved.

giphy.gif
If this and the Winks stuff are true...I'm genuinely starting to warm to Parasitei...🤔

There'll always be some moaning fuckers. It's an opportunity that's presented itself...you don't just wait until your problem positions are sorted before pouncing on something like that, or you likely lose that opportunity.

If spurs have decided that they can afford this deal alongside absolutely improving the defence, then I am 100% in favour of it.
It's a pig in a poke policy that could turn out to be great ( Dele ) or turn out to be a waste of time and money ( Clarke ). It's a policy we need to be involved in since we're not going to pay for superstars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom