Tottenham vs City - EFL Cup Final - Ref Fucks Up

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

blaming the ref.... we’ve hit dipper level delusions.

blame anyone but Daniel tucking Levy.

I genuinely believe we will see a thread blaming the club mascot for our woes before we ever see a large portion of fans criticise Daniel levy.

Morning after thoughts

Thought we looked organised and best I've seen toby/dier for a long time. Man city are an exceptionally coached outfit. No shame in losing. Thought around 75 min mark we were going to nick it. We got into some great positions 3-4 ,times. Final ball. Subs werent great. City's press had gone and there were gaps so would kept moura at 10 and brought Ndombele on. Were not 4-5 years behind city. Were 4-5 quality players in starting 11 away and a manager who can get us playing with an identity.

The worst thing about yesterday is that it would have been a surprise if we won.

That at no point at all did I think if we have a top day we will outplay them.

We can't dominate anyone and it really felt like David and Goliath.

The sheer inevitability of the outcome and that it would follow another poor decision from our players is nearly as painful as how far we have fallen.

Leeds would have given City an infinitely harder game.

Last edited:
Were not 4-5 years behind city. Were 4-5 quality players in starting 11 away and a manager who can get us playing with an identity.
Dream on sunshine ,
We will always be 5 years behind City as our owners don't give a toss.
It would take us a decade to sign 5 quality players , we don't do that . We never sign the finished article .
We never deserved anything . Totally outplayed , 1 shot on target , passive set up , poor team selection. It was a complete useless balls up as ever.

they played like a Jose team,
If Jose had still been here this would be in melt down
but its only Ryan's 2nd game, he is only young, he is only in charge till the end of season

why then sack jose last week it could have been done today ?
why didn't we have an experianced man ready to jump in to hot sit till end of season ?
Levy's fingers on it again

Morning after thoughts

Thought we looked organised and best I've seen toby/dier for a long time. Man city are an exceptionally coached outfit. No shame in losing. Thought around 75 min mark we were going to nick it. We got into some great positions 3-4 ,times. Final ball. Subs werent great. City's press had gone and there were gaps so would kept moura at 10 and brought Ndombele on. Were not 4-5 years behind city. Were 4-5 quality players in starting 11 away and a manager who can get us playing with an identity.
More attacking substitution for sure or better choice.

You make some fair points but we hang on at times more than we were organised in my opinion.

The worst thing about yesterday is that it would have been a surprise if we won.

That at no point at all did I think if we have a top day we will outplay them.

We can't dominate anyone and it really felt like David and Goliath.

The sheer inevitability of the outcome and that it would follow another poor decision from our players is nearly as painful to how far we have fallen.

Leeds would have given City an infinitely harder game.
No, no it's the ref's fault.

Agreed. Leeds are a better-coached team than us. Players know what their and each other's roles are. They have bought into and believe in the system they play in, their system has them performing and competing greater than the sum of their individual parts. They are also having fun.

Agree but second half I couldnt see City scoring. I thought they were superb first half but second half they looked gassed. Cup finals you need to produce quality in the moments you have. The hojberg fuck up and sons decision making were crucial moments. Son was terrible. Not sure what he has to do to get dragged. Would have bergwin 20 mins. City will get the plaudits but second half they were bang average and open. We always talk abou our short comings defensively but when have our top attacking players produced in a big game. The CL final was tight. Attacking wise fuck all. Countless semi finals. Fuck all from Kane and Son.

they played like a Jose team,
If Jose had still been here this would be in melt down
but its only Ryan's 2nd game, he is only young, he is only in charge till the end of season

why then sack jose last week it could have been done today ?
why didn't we have an experianced man ready to jump in to hot sit till end of season ?
Levy's fingers on it again
Have you watched us recently? Read the news coming out of the training ground?

We were totally outplayed by them only 2 months ago 3-0.

I don't agree with Levy's decision to hire the dinosaur. He fucked up by not firing him at the beginning of lockdown 1 last season. He's fucked up again for not firing him sooner than last week (we've probably lost out on Nagglesmann as a direct result).

But he got it spot on pulling the trigger before the Final, he did nothing to deserve this honour of leading out Spurs at Wembley, he did nothing to deserve this. Jose's taken this club backwards, aided and abetted by Levy.

I thought our mascots were fucking woeful and have been all season. They set the tone for the game and failed to get the players in the right frame of mind. Molly (9) said her mind was elsewhere as she had run out of yellow crayons and she just lost her concentration. What sort excuse was that!
Not good enough. Sack them all.

Last edited:
I still think - even with this team - we can do better and a properly coached and motivated team could have won that yesterday, heck, we only lost by just one goal.
Sonny was hopeless and lost, whenever he got the ball he couldn’t figure out where to run, was slow in making decisions and missed his pass.
Kane would pick the ball up in midfield, pass it across to Sonny and then stop running and hang back .. no Harry, we need you in the penalty box, that’s your hunting ground. Get running up there.
Hojberg ran all over the place, didn’t seem to know where he should place himself but that may be him trying to do them job of others.
Bale should have been on from the start, he had the big match winning experience, we needed him on that pitch for the full game.
On the good side, Hugo and Toby were massive!

Have you watched us recently? Read the news coming out of the training ground?

We were totally outplayed by them only 2 months ago 3-0.

I don't agree with Levy's decision to hire the dinosaur. He fucked up by not firing him at the beginning of lockdown 1 last season. He's fucked up again for not firing him sooner than last week (we've probably lost out on Nagglesmann as a direct result).

But he got it spot on pulling the trigger before the Final, he did nothing to deserve this honour of leading out Spurs at Wembley, he did nothing to deserve this. Jose's taken this club backwards, aided and abetted by Levy.
Levy only sacked Jose on Monday to distract folks from the Super League farce that the only reason, he could have sacked Jose today or 2 weeks ago,
but to sack him with no idea of who would come in till the end of the season is a joke

like the joke of a Super League, how did these owners think yes we can play in our countries league then on wednesdays night play in our own private league, surely any inteligent man would ask "why will your country allow you to play in their league"

Levy only sacked Jose on Monday to distract folks from the Super League farce that the only reason, he could have sacked Jose today or 2 weeks ago,
but to sack him with no idea of who would come in till the end of the season is a joke

like the joke of a Super League, how did these owners think yes we can play in our countries league then on wednesdays night play in our own private league, surely any inteligent man would ask "why will your country allow you to play in their league"
Like I said he should never have been appointed, then sacked during 1st lockdown last season.

But since his sacking, the entire mood has lifted at the club, both fans and players breathing a huge sigh of relief. The win against Southampton too would have also given a small injection of positivity and confidence (we outshot a team for what feels like an eternity, there was a change of approach to that game, backed up by what the players have been saying), not enough to bridge the gulf of course as that's going to take some time to fix.

But 100% fans and the players had more of a vested interest in this game than had we gone into it with a dead man walking.

I can see a problem in team selection when you are coaching your pals.

I'm not writing of Mason yet. Just hope he learns how to handle team selection better than against City.

I still think - even with this team - we can do better and a properly coached and motivated team could have won that yesterday, heck, we only lost by just one goal.
Sonny was hopeless and lost, whenever he got the ball he couldn’t figure out where to run, was slow in making decisions and missed his pass.
Kane would pick the ball up in midfield, pass it across to Sonny and then stop running and hang back .. no Harry, we need you in the penalty box, that’s your hunting ground. Get running up there.
Hojberg ran all over the place, didn’t seem to know where he should place himself but that may be him trying to do them job of others.
Bale should have been on from the start, he had the big match winning experience, we needed him on that pitch for the full game.
On the good side, Hugo and Toby were massive!
Agree with most of that but no way Bale should have started. It was obvious we wouldn't see much of the ball for long spells and without the ball, Bale is a lamppost, completely ineffectual, in fact, he detracts from the team. He's also not a counter-attack player anymore, so IMO utterly pointless playing him. Flip the coin for the opposite reflection and just look at what Lucas did, no way Bale would have produced that.

I think he was right to bring him on at the time he did. City's press had dropped, the scoreline suggested we were still in the game. He has shown quality on the ball and this is where you roll the dice with him, also for the time he has on the pitch he should be fit enough to work off the ball with some intensity without cooking himself.

I'm guessing Lucas came off because he was cooked. He was tasked as the upfront player to chase and hustle and try to nick the ball high, then feed to Kane or Son. But feel this tactic has been kinda sussed, if you want to stop Spurs attack then you stop the supply (they also wrapped up both Son and Kane well anyway and I'm not sure if either won the 1v1's).

For the most part, our entire defence was very good, both fullbacks were doubled up on, so struggled especially in the first half but made recovery tackles and it did mean City were reduced to crosses, which CB's and Lloris all dealt with, albeit last ditched blocks etc. But City did mix up their attacks and attacked from all areas of the pitch.

Yeah bit questionable attire, is he wearing a suit with a sports sweater and tennis shoes?

Just get Daniel to buy you a nice second hand suit Ryan
It can't be an old designer suit that's proven to look good for all occasions, it has to be a young one that needs a lot of adjustment to look good for 1 in 5 occasions and have resale value.

We were playing against the best team and coach in world football. It was a cup final they brought their a-game.

Coached to foul and kill off any sort of momentum. I'm only surprised that Mourinho never got our players to do the same

I can see a problem in team selection when you are coaching your pals.

I'm not writing of Mason yet. Just hope he learns how to handle team selection better than against City.
Can't be picking Winks over TND. We had no link between defence and attack the whole game.
Wouldn't be surprised if Levy is egging him on to play deadwood to put them in the shop window.
Not sure what pathetic performances will do for value though dear Daniel

To hang on for 82 minutes in possibly the most one-sided professional football match in history, I think it's clear the players gave everything they got. Hugo, Toby, Dier were downright heroic.

Football isn't just about being brave and aggressive and all that. Players need to be coached properly. There is a reason Pep is the best manager in the World.
This guy gets it. Yes dumping Winks Sanchez Sissoko helps. But you need a coach who works on progressive football every day on the training pitch.

For you guys lucky enough to get a ticket how was the overall match day experience?

Was the checking of COVID tests / names on match tickets thorough by the stewards outside the stadium or was that all just a box ticking exercise?

Back
Top Bottom