Levy / ENIC

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lo Celso was our best player last season, he has just had very bad injury luck this season which is a concern. Berwijn and Lucas would do fine for Leicester or West Ham. We have a manager who has no plan of attack, I can accept our average defence and conceding goals but we should be scoring goals galore with what we have.
Still don’t agree. Doubt any of these get close. GLC has the talent, but is made of sugar glass. Lucas hardly set the world on fire under the wonderful and flawless Poch, so doubt it’s Jose curtailing his 30 goals a season. Stevie B might do better in a more attacking side, but almost all his appearances for us suggests he’s just not got “it”.

Does even Tanguy get into the United side? Chelsea? Liverpool? Nope. Reggie might get a game for United, but Luke Shaw is suddenly the best left sided defender on the planet since that nasty man stopped calling him chubby, so that’s unlikely too.

Still don’t agree. Doubt any of these get close. GLC has the talent, but is made of sugar glass. Lucas hardly set the world on fire under the wonderful and flawless Poch, so doubt it’s Jose curtailing his 30 goals a season. Stevie B might do better in a more attacking side, but almost all his appearances for us suggests he’s just not got “it”.

Does even Tanguy get into the United side? Chelsea? Liverpool? Nope. Reggie might get a game for United, but Luke Shaw is suddenly the best left sided defender on the planet since that nasty man stopped calling him chubby, so that’s unlikely too.

Mate if we had Pep or Nagglesman or even Rogers we’d be scoring far more goals. Jose has put a straight jacket on our attacking players.

It could be argued that the moment they had their stadium built the team no longer mattered as much. Does the NFL or a Concert depend on Spurs being any good ? Nope. The football fans will always turn up, even if we regress for a decade. They can turn up the nostalgia act nonsense and get people in to sell them beer and hope.

Probably now going to end up with a decade of threats if going broke if ENIC buy Elite level players, an inability to use the stadium probably puts an end to us as competitive under ENIC. Players will continue to be recruited on the basis of asset value, not what they offer on the field. Worst case we “do a Leeds” the very thing we have been hit over the heads with not doing for best part of twenty years. Hopefully I am being pessimistic.
I'm not so sure about this.

Given the ticket prices, added to COVID and the shit football. I don't think it'll be a sell out at most games.

Even before we went into Lockdown the stadium for the CL matches last season was empty in the upper tier.

The club would have to rethink their ticketing if they want to ensure fans attend.
Initially I don't think full capacity will be allowed due to COVID. So they will get away with higher prices but 4/5 years from now if we still competing for top 6 the fans won't be attending as much.

Given the ticket prices, added to COVID and the shit football. I don't think it'll be a sell out at most games.

Even before we went into Lockdown the stadium for the CL matches last season was empty in the upper tier.

The club would have to rethink their ticketing if they want to ensure fans attend.
Initially I don't think full capacity will be allowed due to COVID. So they will get away with higher prices but 4/5 years from now if we still competing for top 6 the fans won't be attending as much.
Probably fans won’t be attending so much, but they will be replaced with day trippers and corporate spectators. None of whom will have much interest in Spurs, but interest in the experience of live premier league football. Times change. Football changes. None of this necessarily needs Spurs to be any higher than mainstays of premier league.

Since the stadium opened Levy spent over £200m on players and paid up Poch's contract and signed Mourinho on £15m a year.
So that can't be argued.
I can argue this. Transfers are paid as via an initial payment then balance over an agreed length of time, which could be as long as the entire contract length if performance payments are linked in.

If ENIC have shelled out half of the claimed £200m I would be shocked. So across two years now they have paid out the equalivant of 97 % of Eden Hazards value each year on players. And demand top 4. Laughable & I won’t applaud too loudly.

What they paid off Poch with is irrelevant as if they had not needed to sack the guy.....cause and effect. Self inflicted wounds.

As for Paying Jose £15m a year (aside from “more fool them”) that’s £18m max to date. And now what ? We can’t afford to sack the guy ?

ENIC’s prudence is as busted as Gordon Browns.

No point in charging top prices for being mid table

You're right, of course. Virtually the whole forum creaming themselves that we were the transfer window champions.

It wasn't a great window, was it. Not really. Not if we're honest with ourselves.

A prime example is Doherty. So many dressing it up as proof that Levy backs his man with the player he wants. Inspired signing, they said.
A clear upgrade on Serge, they told us..

Bullshit. He got him because he was cheap. I said so at the time.

If Jose had still been at United, or even Chelsea, would he have wanted Mat Doherty?
Of course he fucking wouldn't .
My favourite was Hart being labelled as a great signing.

I can argue this. Transfers are paid as via an initial payment then balance over an agreed length of time, which could be as long as the entire contract length if performance payments are linked in.

If ENIC have shelled out half of the claimed £200m I would be shocked. So across two years now they have paid out the equalivant of 97 % of Eden Hazards value each year on players. And demand top 4. Laughable & I won’t applaud too loudly.

What they paid off Poch with is irrelevant as if they had not needed to sack the guy.....cause and effect. Self inflicted wounds.

As for Paying Jose £15m a year (aside from “more fool them”) that’s £18m max to date. And now what ? We can’t afford to sack the guy ?

ENIC’s prudence is as busted as Gordon Browns.
So by your own reckoning we spent money in the year of "no spend".
Excellent.

PEH, good signing. Regulion, buy back clause if he's any good. Vinnie, a loan signing Jose clearly doesn't rate.
Rodon, cheap punt for the future. Bale, another loan signing Jose clearly didn't want?
Doherty. Bargain basement stocking filler.

Not a transfer window that screams ambition, mate
Once again it seems like levy can't get on the same page as the manager. Doesn't seem like jose really wants bale or vinicius.
Jose usually goes for quality players like reggie but also ended up with cheap signings like Doherty & punts like rodon. The manager & levy look totally out of sync as per usual. Once again levy creating problems for us.

You're right, of course. Virtually the whole forum creaming themselves that we were the transfer window champions.

It wasn't a great window, was it. Not really. Not if we're honest with ourselves.

A prime example is Doherty. So many dressing it up as proof that Levy backs his man with the player he wants. Inspired signing, they said.
A clear upgrade on Serge, they told us..

Bullshit. He got him because he was cheap. I said so at the time.

If Jose had still been at United, or even Chelsea, would he have wanted Mat Doherty?
Of course he fucking wouldn't .
Guess who Matt Doherty’s agent is.

Guess who represents Carlos Vinicius.

Q). Are they Spurs players because both were scouted, wanted and number one requirements and best options or where they the clients of the coach’s mate who they happened to know were available and might do a job ?

hmmmm. How difficult is it to answer.

I wonder who Gedson’s agent is ?

So by your own reckoning we spent money in the year of "no spend".
Excellent.
The year of no spend is the period between Moura and Ndombele no ?

what period are you talking about ? Think maybe there is a misunderstanding here. I scanned the posts and can’t see I said “no spend” - sorry if I missed it and did say, to clarify my view is that what is being spent is inadequate and not in line with income nor enough to sustain the top levels.

Last edited:
That maybe your view but still a lot better than any of the last 4-5 years and better than most other prem clubs last window.

We have issues but we have a very strong attacking set of players with a manager who has little interest in attacking while at the same time we have defensive weaknesses and put the pressure there.

Poch would have gotten far more out of Vinnie, Bale, Doherty, Regulion etc as he would actually want to use them to attack.
Not watched wolves a lot but I thought Dohertys strength was attacking not defending? Which would match your post.

The year of no spend is the period between Moura and Ndombele no ?

what period are you talking about ? Think maybe there is a misunderstanding here. I scanned the posts and can’t see I said “no spend” - sorry if I missed it and did say, to clarify my view is that what is being spent is inadequate and not in line with income nor enough to sustain the top levels.
I didn't say you said it, but there are few on here that bring it up repeatedly.

And to clarify my view, maybe I should have said that Levy committed to spend over £200m on players since the stadium was opened.

Not watched wolves a lot but I thought Dohertys strength was attacking not defending? Which would match your post.

They played him as a wing back where he was a very effective attacker. I read some of the Wolves forum to see a take on him and they thought he would not be suited to playing a deep RB defensive role under Jose. Seems they were correct.

I didn't say you said it, but there are few on here that bring it up repeatedly.

And to clarify my view, maybe I should have said that Levy committed to spend over £200m on players since the stadium was opened.
Ok mate. Cheers for clarifying. All just a bit miserable at Spurs for a while now. Hopefully maybe what comes next will be a big improvement.

Since the stadium opened Levy spent over £200m on players and paid up Poch's contract and signed Mourinho on £15m a year.
So that can't be argued.
The failure not to buy anyone across two windows along with allowing dembele and wanyama to leave without adequately replacing either was gross negligence all that also can't be argued.

The failure not to buy anyone across two windows along with allowing dembele and wanyama to leave without adequately replacing either was gross negligence all that also can't be argued.
True

But what can be argued is who is to blame for that. According to all reports money was available to spend and, according to Coutinhos agent, the deal was done but Poch didn't want him.

Back
Top Bottom