Man Utd Vs Tottenham, Sunday 4th Oct - 4.30pm.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch would have won major silverware if we was backer proper when we need it - at Utd he can finally achieve that

I used to think this. But IMO, Poch has 2 major problems, 1 is squad rotation. He can't do it properly. 2 is having more than 11 usable players. He kept whinging about how hard it was to upgrade on what he had. He didn't have to upgrade the best 11 we had, he had to have extra depth in the squad.

I feel there was money there but he wasn't up to making the most of it.
In 2 windows, Mourinho has brought in 8 players and let much of the youth and fringe players go. He managed in 2 windows to effectively rebuild the squad and did it with very few big money signings.

If Poch goes to a big money club and has the same problems, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised.

Maybe he should just be a first team coach and not be in charge of squad management. Catch 22 with him. He wants it his way but he doesn't know how to do it.

Last edited:
You can give Ole 1 Billion worth of players and it still won't make any difference and who said he hasn't been backed when he already spend almost 300m in 2 years ? Guy is so bad tactically , every manager in the prem must have found him out already right now, if he got sacked now not even a championship club would be interested in
My comment wasn't really about defending Ole, just to show the rotten infrastructure inside the whole club.
Ole is out of his depth, but it isn't really his fault. I bet most of the footballing decision is taken by Woodward & Co, and Ole is sat to organise it and make it gel. Which no manager could do. The fact that they've hired Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho as his predecessors and they all failed shows me that it isn't the managers chair that is the main problem at the club.
It's interesting to see what his tenure at the club has done to him as a human being. The Ole I knew from Norway isn't around anymore and while he has aged 15 years during his 2 years he looks terrified and stressed out.
What I mean about getting backed is that the club build upon his work. He was in charge when they got 3rd place after all. Identifying key targets in the right positions would have given the club confidence and harmony throughout the squad. Instead they came up with a brittle-legged Cavani and a midfielder which really wasn't seen upon as needed, hence his playing time. Failure.

Oh grow up.
Maradona paraded that mindset when he came clean about the "hand of god" shit in the WC. He boasted that in Latin America the ethos of pulling one over on the ref was a way of life. Argentina in 66 , Beckham triggering the sniper on the roof in France when Simeone went down under an assault that wouldnt have dropped a toddler.
Falling back on the shitbags defence of racism is as weak as lauding Lamela collapsing to the ground as if hed been bricked, when he had dished out more to Martial than he got in return.

Is this what we want from our football team? Really? Go in hard, play the game and take the punishment when you go too far, but to go down like a whiney kid at kindergarten as if punched by Mike Tyson is weak and makes us look shit.

If the ref hasn't sent Martial off then pogba and shaw would have gone.

We were always going to have won that, and a bit of shithousery doesnt go amiss, but that flesh crawling piece of cheating was embarrassing.
We hate it when other teams cheat against us but love it or turn a blindeye when we cheat. That's most football fans for you.

My comment wasn't really about defending Ole, just to show the rotten infrastructure inside the whole club.
Ole is out of his depth, but it isn't really his fault. I bet most of the footballing decision is taken by Woodward & Co, and Ole is sat to organise it and make it gel. Which no manager could do. The fact that they've hired Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho as his predecessors and they all failed shows me that it isn't the managers chair that is the main problem at the club.
It's interesting to see what his tenure at the club has done to him as a human being. The Ole I knew from Norway isn't around anymore and while he has aged 15 years during his 2 years he looks terrified and stressed out.
What I mean about getting backed is that the club build upon his work. He was in charge when they got 3rd place after all. Identifying key targets in the right positions would have given the club confidence and harmony throughout the squad. Instead they came up with a brittle-legged Cavani and a midfielder which really wasn't seen upon as needed, hence his playing time. Failure.
Agreed. We can't say United are a shit team but also expect their manager to make them in to a top team. He is out of his depth but they seem like a poorly run club. Hope they stick with him. Ole probably suits them as he is just happy to be there & won't kick up a fuss or challenge them.

and if he had said the same thing about a particular footballing skill from either Africa or Latin America

would that be racism too?

Depends if it's a negative thing?

If for example he said a players game sense is poor, and said it's because they are African then yes

I vaguely remember something happening similar about Yaya Toure.

I personally am not a huge fan of cancel culture or the PC brigade and I'm sure Souness didn't mean anything by it. Just pointing out the hypocrisy of it all same with the Son racism seeing so little coverage compared to the fake claims by Rudiger

Whilst you can argue that the board haven't backed Ole (they spent 214m last year) that's really not the point.

A manger's job be it at a relegation club or a title winning club is to get the best from the squad he's got - to make the sum of the parts better than the parts themselves. Poch lost his job when he could no longer do that despite five years of relative success, same goes for Emery. Klopp is fated because he gets more out of the squad than the players are actually worth, as we hope does Mourinho.

Ole has over a billion pounds worth of players and yet they play like a side worth 50 pence ... that's nothing to do with the board that's all down to good management, or in Ole's case clueless incompetence.

Utd must know they've screwed up, my guess is they will look at Poch but that could also be a mistake, a huge club with huge money needs a manager who can deal with that ... steal Guardiola from City that might work.

All those penalties after lock down have actually done them no favours - they weren't actually winning games in the same way everyone else was

If they'd finished outside of CL places maybe they would have changed manager......they can't really do it now, after 4 PL games and Poch or anyone would be stupid to take it on......you need a full pre-season and transfer window to sort out a club like that

Any chance that Shaw's red card offense could be looked at post match and given a retroactive ban?

I don’t think so as the referee saw it and punished it with a yellow and anything retroactive can only happen if the ref was unsighted not just gutless and incompetent like Taylor

What a performance.

Hard to feel like we are not putting together something very special. Fair play to Levy for backing Jose, he is obviously delighted with the squad and feels like we can do something big this season.

I'd like to give a shoutout to three of our unsung heroes from yesterday:

- Hojbjerg: Absolutely bossed it. Showed us all the level he is capable of with the aggression and leadership but also quality on the ball. A performance fit for the often quoted Guardiola-Busquets comparison.

-Sissoko: I'm not his biggest fan but he was brilliant yesterday. When we are facing tougher opposition and expect to have less of the ball he is a great nuisance to have in there. I'm really excited about the platform him and PEH gave to our attackers to go and play. His physicality brings you comfort and his ability to cover a right back helps out a lot. He is proving that he still has his uses despite what that dope Igula Igula says.

-Aurier: Building on the solid performance against Chelsea he probably put in his best in a Spurs shirt yesterday. I think he is a better one on one defender than Doherty and again I feel more secure with him in their against the likes of Rashford, Salah and Sterling. Doherty should be used when we need that extra attacking edge to break down stubborn teams but I think he will leave us exposed against higher quality teams if he doesn't change his game a bit.

After that destruction at Old Trafford and Liverpool's mauling the league really is wide open.

I think the players will be ultra confident now and feel like there's no reason they can't challenge.

For the first time in a long time I bet Kane is looking around that dressing room thinking "We finally have the squad to win something here". Exciting times.

👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Hard to say.

From what I see, from Man U supporting friends point of view, their issue runs deeper, than backing = spending money.

They always spend money alright. However, they don't look at thing from football perspective.

For example, Cavani signing. He was available since January for pre contract. If they want him, they would give themselves a deadline and sign him sooner so he has had more time to condition and get match fit. It feels as if they have a list of target, and just go one at a time, until the final days and get whoever available. Many of which is greedy opportunist who nobody wants.

For Cavani, if you came for him as late as early September, then you would better just give up. That looks like the case with other clubs buying forward this past window. Juventus gave Luis Suarez a pass after his Italian naturalization process got complicated. They don't want to drag things out to final days, risking the deal fall through and get worst leftover in last minute, even nobody. Luis Suarez clearly was a great option, and very high in their target list. It's similar with selling. Timing is important. Generally Man U overpays then selling at loss.

The power that be at Man U, doesn't have a proper recruitment team. They just play FM in real life. They don't care about chemistry, compatibility of players. Just because a player has talent, doesn't mean he can do well for the team, as he's lazy, and doesn't work for the manager and the team. That's the case with Man U. Manager can't give those players the boot if he needs, while at the same time not having access to "his" players. It creates a terrible environment where players preferring taking care of their own agenda before the club. They know when result goes bad it's the manager whom would have to walk. The decision maker at the club doesn't know football to understand the root cause of the problem, which is the lack of authority for the manager. Even if you hire the best manager, if you don't give him power, you would never see his ideas on the pitch as players refuse to follow his instructions.

Man U is not on the same level as Real Madrid or Barcelona when it comes to attraction power for top players. Those teams can have quality players to stay relevant, but Man U can't. Yet the money in play at Man U is on same scale which creates similar politic issue but even more messy.

Man U job is currently a poison chalice. Poch would be stupid if he jumps into that while the power that be still going on like this. They need to reach rock bottom before they can realize and turn around. Liverpool did experience something similar with their previous owner.

it's not just about spending money , it's spending money on the right player that the manager wanted and also the authority to get rid of whoever manager didn't want, he doesnt' have that at united, if only they let him do that , united would have been in much better place now. "BuT, But He wanted to get rid of pogba, martial and shaw" . so what ? do you understand football better than him ? No so just let him do it. United are literally buying bruno , telles and Cavani, 3 players who played in pogba martial and shaw position as if mourinho was always right all along

Last edited:
A lot of artful ways of showing a scoreline repeatedly...Plus Lloris telling off Dier for not following Rashford's run despite him being offside...

Last edited:
They have been doing behind the scenes on match day for a few seasons now...but now we get to hear the players during the game...

Not often enough for me to notice.

I'm not sure they've done one all season?

Would have been great to see one after the League Cup win against Chelsea.

Back
Top Bottom