Jose Mourinho

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not in the first three months there wasn’t with Poch. I remember thinking it was like watching a Gross team. Run around a lot but not know what to do with the ball. Anyway I share your fears in your last paragraph but he’s been fire fighting in so many different areas of the team and I think there’s a hangover of panic from us being pretty shit for over a year and things don’t look like changing in the short term.

We have to give him time, and I reckon it will get worse before it will get better because I just don’t see how we score goals and we aren’t great at stopping them either but we’ve no other choice. Patience is key.
There genuinely was a pattern to him instilling a pressing style, compressing teams with a high line defense. Fans were squabbling about why was he attempting to play a high-line with Fazio for example!!

With Poch his ideas on how he wants his team to play were clear from day one. Some of his team performances in his first season were breathtaking.

5-3 vs chavs
2-1 vs woolwich
3-2 loss vs dippers 2 days after NLD
2-1 vs Everton

I just don't see those kind of big games performances under the dinosaur.

You didn’t see them in his last 12 months either

Sammy, I hope my response here is not considered as breaking my promise when I asked you to answer a question because it is unrelated to this response. I just wanted to say that Jose has earned nothing here. A manager's time and success elsewhere 'earns' him nothing in his subsequent jobs.

Now, you may have more hope or expectation that they will get it right because of track record and thus be afforded more time. That I can understand. But he's 'earned' nothing here as of yet. And this would go for any manager in his position.
For me proving to be a winner earns you a right to become a winner.
Had we signed Moyes and it was like this, I’d want him out as I’d have zero belief he could change anything and be successful

That’s the difference.

The only fake counter argument is that Jose is past it because he won 5 trophies between 2015-2018 then took a year and half off.

Laughable crackpot theory from people who can’t let go of the eternal nearly man era

Apparently winning stuff three years ago makes you a dinosaur, but failing three years ago makes you progressive.

Last edited:
Laughable crackpot theory from people who can’t let go of the eternal nearly man era
Just because people think Mourinho is past it, doesn’t mean they were in love with Poch. It’s you who won’t let Poch go, because you know your argument is weak without the Poch comparison. Your hard on for Mourinho is embarrassing given your comments about him before he was our manager. Why does it annoy you that some people think his football is shit?

For me proving to be a winner earns you a right to become a winner.
Had we signed Moyes and it was like this, I’d want him out as I’d have zero belief he could change anything and be successful
Ok, but even Guardiola admitted, which you and anyone else that says 'winners' should recognize, tha were he not at City he wouldn't be winning. Resources are key my man. Jose has never won without the most expensive(ish) team in the league; Porto, Chelsea, Inter, RM, Chelsea, ManU...and now big-spending, big-wheeling, big-dick swinging Spurs right?

Until you compare oranges to oranges I'm not sure you can uncritically bestow that appellation on a coach. Jose has always won a trophy in his first season with a team right? Will this winner win a cup with us this season? We're still in two of them.

There genuinely was a pattern to him instilling a pressing style, compressing teams with a high line defense. Fans were squabbling about why was he attempting to play a high-line with Fazio for example!!
Yeah the press was brilliant.
Shame he abandoned it for a diamond that didn’t work because his players were all too fucked from his training methods to actually continue to play the one effect style of play he had successfully developed.

Ok that does ring a bell/knightmare! Shame we only adopted it for 2 years before weirdly giving up on it.

The actual turning point was the Stoke defeat. Kane and the new boys v adebayor, Kaboul and Lennon etc had the mass confrontation. Poch sided with Kane and Levy for once backed his manager. Levy had learnt after siding with adebayor over avb so wasn’t going to make the same mistake again. Thankfully.

What is it about Nagelsmann that makes you think he isn't ready? Has his relative inexperience been shown up a lot in his time in the BuLi?

And who is the Marco Rose guy? Sounds interesting. Is he Italian or S American? I've not seen his name thrown around these parts? Were we interested? What's his preferred style of play?

I don’t know why but I’ve just got this feeling he will be our manager within the next 18 months.

Ok, but even Guardiola admitted, which you and anyone else that says 'winners' should recognize, tha were he not at City he wouldn't be winning. Resources are key my man. Jose has never won without the most expensive(ish) team in the league; Porto, Chelsea, Inter, RM, Chelsea, ManU...and now big-spending, big-wheeling, big-dick swinging Spurs right?

Until you compare oranges to oranges I'm not sure you can uncritically bestow that appellation on a coach. Jose has always won a trophy in his first season with a team right? Will this winner win a cup with us this season? We're still in two of them.

Has Jose taken over in November in 14th place with an injured and unmotivated squad in all those seasons he won something?

Or did he start from the beginning with pre seasons and signings.

You want to compare oranges to oranges, well then judge him after a summer window and pre season and full season like he had at other clubs.

I’m confused. Did we play any decent football under Poch? I thought we scored the most goals and conceded the fewest one season whilst comfortably smashing our PL points record and achieving our highest place since 1961. Also 4 consecutive top 4 finishes? Oh well, it’s nice to have this place to put you right.

Has Jose taken over in November in 14th place with an injured and unmotivated squad in all those seasons he won something?
Was Jose abducted and waterboarded until he took this job, his first time taking over midseason when previously he accepted midseason but took over in the summer? Why do you think he did that? Yup, he thought he could win. He thought he was on to something. So no reason to give him leeway here when clearly he didn't think he needed it.

Focus on my point now Sammy, Jose haas only won with the most expensive squad in the respective league...and quite often in all of football. both Klopp and Guardiola (Pep within the last week) admit that their resources give them an advantage. So until a coach has that 'advantage' why would you exclude them from potential 'winner' status?

There's a quote that goes around about good coaches in the US and I will paraphrase: a good coach can take his and beat yours and take yours and beat his. That's a good coach Sammy worthy of being called a winner and not a guy driving an F1 car against ford fiestas. In NFL the greatest coach of all time has consistently won with the lesser team on paper...every year the New England Patriots get there or thereabouts with less FFS. And he could take over any team as presently constituted and they would be favored to win the next year. That is a great coach Sammy. That's a coaches coach Sammy. Having the biggest wallet doesn't make you a great coach.

You want to compare oranges to oranges, well then judge him after a summer window and pre season and full season.
Why is that needed? Even Mou didn't think he needed that time hence his change in pattern and jumping in midseason (and no doubt back-door channeling to get the job hence the very quick appointment). You are just trying to push off an unsure endpoint. If we were playing gangbusters you'd say wait until the end of this season. but you have no faith in silverware this season so you push off the endpoint to next.

Also for me poch is irrelevant here. My argument isnt that were under achieving or not playing well because I can see the argument that we havent done so for a year.

It's the most negative tactics I've ever seen a spurs manager come out with against really close rivals in terms of ability that's disgusted me. Plus the fact his already gobbing off about a squad he was over the moon with when he came in. He may have a point but its clear where this is going because his always thrown his toys out when things dont go his way.

No way is he taking any of the blame if we dont get top four or five and do ok in the cups.

He will deflect and deflect at the detriment of anyone else, especially the club.

By far the most negative tactics I’ve seen came from Santini

José can only set up with what’s available

Was Jose abducted and waterboarded until he took this job, his first time taking over midseason when previously he accepted midseason but took over in the summer? Why do you think he did that? Yup, he thought he could win. He thought he was on to something. So no reason to give him leeway here when clearly he didn't think he needed it.

Focus on my point now Sammy, Jose haas only won with the most expensive squad in the respective league...and quite often in all of football. both Klopp and Guardiola (Pep within the last week) admit that their resources give them an advantage. So until a coach has that 'advantage' why would you exclude them from potential 'winner' status?

There's a quote that goes around about good coaches in the US and I will paraphrase: a good coach can take his and beat yours and take yours and beat his. That's a good coach Sammy worthy of being called a winner and not a guy driving an F1 car against ford fiestas. In NFL the greatest coach of all time has consistently won with the lesser team on paper...every year the New England Patriots get there or thereabouts with less FFS. And he could take over any team as presently constituted and they would be favored to win the next year. That is a great coach Sammy. That's a coaches coach Sammy. Having the biggest wallet doesn't make you a great coach.

Why is that needed? Even Mou didn't think he needed that time hence his change in pattern and jumping in midseason (and no doubt back-door channeling to get the job hence the very quick appointment). You are just trying to push of an unsure endpoint. If we were playing gangbusters you'd say wait until the end of this season. but you have no faith in silverware this season so you push off the endpoint to next.
It doesn’t matter why he took the job.
If you want to compare like for like, then do that.

If you don’t, then don’t tell me to.

Yeah the press was brilliant.
Shame he abandoned it for a diamond that didn’t work because his players were all too fucked from his training methods to actually continue to play the one effect style of play he had successfully developed.
giphy.gif

Exactly, people lauding a style of play we didn’t see for three years as the team went backwards and our tactics started failing.

I think the term is “found out”.

Some on here expect instant success from Jose while forgetting that under Poch when he arrived it was shite for quite a while until his second season when the turning point for me was when we mullered City
I got behind him after that

Some on here expect instant success from Jose while forgetting that under Poch when he arrived it was shite for quite a while until his second season when the turning point for me was when we mullered City
I got behind him after that
They aren’t forgetting at all, they are trying to make it feel like his first season was the Leicester one and hopes everyone forgets.

And isn’t it interesting how that “great” season ended.

They aren’t forgetting at all, they are trying to make it feel like his first season was the Leicester one and hopes everyone forgets.

And isn’t it interesting how that “great” season ended.

Not the humiliation at St James park against 10 men where we gave up like Poch did in his last season???

And we finished 3rd in a two horse race as the Scum never tire of telling us

One of the most disgusting performances ever

It doesn’t matter why he took the job.
If you want to compare like for like, then do that.

If you don’t, then don’t tell me to.
Ok then Sammy, Klopp took over a shitty Pool side around the same time as Mou and got them to a cup final. Should we expect similar in the oranges to fucking oranges comparison? Suck it, Sammy.

edit: shouldn't take you this long sammyspurs sammyspurs . Trust me on this, if you are taking this long to come up with some bullshit to reply with I will know it's bullshit and will tear it apart. If it takes you this long to respond it's usually best to concede the point rather than come up with some bulllshit that completely exposes your bullshit premise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom