Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We just won the icc cup

Innit.... Motherfuckers demand trophies.... :gallas:

tottenham-trophy-vincent-janssen-956946.jpg

Do you understand the rules at all? you can't spend money on players that you don't earn, that's not just economics it's FFP and EPL rules ... we currently have an income of 300m that compares with Utd 730m, City 560m, Woolwich 500m, Chelsea 478m and Dippers 431m .... you can't just magic a billion out of thin air ....

It's like you wanting a fleet of Ferraris on a shelf-stackers salary .... never going to happen

Our transfer budget most seasons is invariable zero - we balance the in's with out's - just the same as we've done this window ....

What we have done (and hopefully will continue to do) is increase our wages bill to allow us to keep the good players we already have ....

Only time will tell if that strategy is a good one, but at least it's a realistic one ....

To be fair, John was only responding to a ridiculous scenario posed by a newcomer poster.

I think they should make a very concise and conservative statement about the window.
It'd be a very poor decision to blatantly ignore some of their most passionate supporters.
Media relations people are pros at this stuff and it should be easy to do:

Dear THFC ST: The Club is truly sorry to hear of your displeasure at the results of our activities in this past transfer window. We made our best efforts to find players that could improve the side at a reasonable cost, but in the end, the difficulties in doing so were too great to overcome. We have utmost confidence in the quality of the squad presently assembled and believe we have the quality needed to compete for top honors in the Premier league this season. With investments made to complete our new stadium, as well as to re-sign our beloved manager and World Cup Golden Boot winning Striker, we believe that ultimately we were successful in securing the future of the club despite the lack of transfer activity. As a show of good faith, please find this affixed coupon for 5% off any purchase from our Cheese Room. Love, THFC/ENIC

I think the club should just focus on the season now. If we get off to a flier all will be forgotten by the time we go home. If we'd sold key players and not replaced them fair enough, but with Pochettino saying what he's saying about not buying unless the quality is realistically there to do so, I think that speaks for itself and a statement isn't really needed. When we signed Lucas I recall Pochettino saying he was a signing for this season and that we weren't actively looking to do any deals in January unless something came up worth looking at, I think we tried to do deals but the pool was small and the cost not worth the investment for the greater good. I guess we'll see how and when the season progresses if it was the right call

I think that's a fair angle of enquiry, but.... I'll add to that a rhetorical 'is Poch too picky?'.

Dele was a bargain.... Foyth looking good. Tripper 3m Dier 4m...... Eriksen 14m and nice priceless.

We get 'em..... Harry cost nish! :kanegoal:

Loans are a funny one... No option to buy you're just developing players for bigger clubs and back to square 1 when they leave. Most times not worth our effort.

I think if we got have got a loan to buy we have been more interested in Kovacic.

Chavs are just keeping him happy for when Modric leaves next summer. Much like Ronaldo/Bale, there's a changing of the guard at the Bernabau.
I'd speculate that Poch really wants players that are the finished article at this point of our development. I think that's why he bought Aurier instead of giving the chance to KWP.

I regard a key first team player, if astutely signed to cost £40m tops and for a prospect to cost similar to what Foyth cost if it's done correctly. I think the only exception we'll see to that is if a truly remarkable deal comes up where we push the boat out at say c£25m for a prospect or a record signing at around £50m.

The markets truly become a crazy place that makes it hard for us to compete when you look at all the numbers. We just have to hope that the majority of the teams with a money pimp or a stadium that was given to them for free have lumped their dosh on a settled spine now and the windows will slowly ease up for English clubs. At the moment it seems all a well run club needs to do is show interest in a player and their club/ agent contacts all other rivals domestically to drum up interest and blow them out of the water. It would explain why we like to do our business late when all other clocks have stockpiled their quotas for the season.

Keep our nuts down for 4-5 years, keep this ticking along with the outside chance of a cup or title and then we'll have a little more weight to throw around when it comes to not having to play a certain game with deals in and out. I'd be happy with 1st team signing and a hot kid like a Foyth etc each season to keep this steady. Why spend money that you really don't know will be wisely spent when you have things to pay for at the same time

I agree wholeheartedly in sentiment. I think you're budget 'demands' are reasonable enough, I just fear that £60-£70m you allude to means drastically less and less over the coming years. That stadium income boost can't come quick enough because until then (regardless of how righteous the disappointment felt by a majority this particular window) further frustrating windows will follow.

Someone mentioned earlier, it's easy to do what Fulham, Everton & West Ham did... Our requirements bear virtually no resemblance.

I'd speculate that Poch really wants players that are the finished article at this point of our development. I think that's why he bought Aurier instead of giving the chance to KWP.

I think we bought Aurier to be #1; a like for like replacement for Walker if you prefer... Turns out Tripper made the position his own. Tripps isn't young tho remember.... If things were different (cliche!) we could be starting this season with Aurier/KWP and have seen Tripps sold to Everton for a relatively profitable 10m with few tears.

Good idea let’s hope Levy makes up for his fuck up during the winter transfer window all will become glaringly clear by then
I wouldn't hold my breath. The winter transfer window is a terrible time to bring in quality. Moura was the exception to that rule.

The talk:

The walk:

Njie signed for 10m after 15 Ligue 1 games - Pricthard jettisoned despite tearing up the championship (voted in team of the season) and then not getting a minute of game time.

Nkoudou signed for 12m after a handful of Ligue 1 games whilst Edwards given 10 minutes two seasons ago and never seen again

Sissoko signed for 30m whilst Onomah gets 33 minutes in two years, none of those minutes as the CM. And we also had Winks.

Aurier signed for 25m after KWP spends two years with the first team, gets MOTM on his debut (and subsequently exceeds Aurier's season total assists in his second ever league start at RB).

I think we bought Aurier to be #1; a like for like replacement for Walker if you prefer... Turns out Tripper made the position his own. Tripps isn't young tho remember.... If things were different (cliche!) we could be starting this season with Aurier/KWP and have seen Tripps sold to Everton for a relatively profitable 10m with few tears.
Tripps is 27, he's got time. You’re right though, I do remember that people were saying that Tripps would be sold.

Can't remember where, but there was a pretty nice piece of financial analysis going around showing that Spurs were spending the least of their income in the league on player wages- and not by an insignificant margin.
If I recall correctly, we are spending 41% of our income on wages while most other clubs are spending at around the 60% mark.

This means we could be spending 50% more on wages and be in line with the average club in the league.

-Same TV revenue as other clubs
-Better CL revenue than all but 3 other clubs

I know we have the stadium and all, but still, we are clearly a rich and profitable club with a rich cash flow. We've got a shit ton of spending power, if we wanted to use it.

ENIC is a business though and they want to grow the value of the asset (THFC) while taking on as little debt as possible (devalues asset).

It's the clash between our fantasy of a club that wants compete above all else versus the reality of a club that wants to compete as much as it can, while always remaining very profitable, while wanting to grow at a rapid pace. Therein lies the rub.

I'm aquainted with such analysis, but most credible sources or opinion appear to stop short of a concise we 'ought' to be spending X on fees on the basis of our wealth/turnover etc.

The talk:

The walk:

Njie signed for 10m after 15 Ligue 1 games - Pricthard jettisoned despite tearing up the championship (voted in team of the season) and then not getting a minute of game time.

Nkoudou signed for 12m after a handful of Ligue 1 games whilst Edwards given 10 minutes two seasons ago and never seen again

Sissoko signed for 30m whilst Onomah gets 33 minutes in two years, none of those minutes as the CM. And we also had Winks.

Aurier signed for 25m after KWP spends two years with the first team, gets MOTM on his debut (and subsequently exceeds Aurier's season total assists in his second ever league start at RB).

Pritchards problem was that he got injured. He got minutes that season we signed Njie. But then got an injury that kept him out for about 6 months. When he returned we had suddenly found ourselves in a title chase.

Such a shame though, but his performances for Huddersfield probably prove it was the right choice.

Youth football and ability doesn't always equate to First team level. Not everyone can come through and start for Spurs. But we can give them a platform to play at a high level like we have for Livermore, Caulker, Pritchard, Townsend etc

I think they should make a very concise and conservative statement about the window.

I think Poch made that statement earlier today.

My take would be that the THST letter is a political necessity resulting from the window hysteria rather than any declaration of their own stance on things.

Any argument ends once the club states "in the interests of the sustainable growth of the club, we won't spend unless we believe in the potential value of any purchase" anyway.

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly in sentiment. I think you're budget 'demands' are reasonable enough, I just fear that £60-£70m you allude to means drastically less and less over the coming years. That stadium income boost can't come quick enough because until then (regardless of how righteous the disappointment felt by a majority this particular window) further frustrating windows will follow.

Someone mentioned earlier, it's easy to do what Fulham, Everton & West Ham did... Our requirements bear virtually no resemblance.

100% agree. Sadly people have their blinkers on and don't see the whole thing. The stadium sets us up regardless of who's in charge or who plays for the club over the next 5,10,20 years people have to realise we're playing a bit of a different game in the market and it requires shrewdness, finesse and a bit of luck. Personally I think Grealish would have been perfect for Spurs. I can see him becoming an absolute star and playing in a team that has players like Dele, Lucas Moura, Harry Kane, Sonny etc would have so much character and identity. I sincerely hope we go back in for the kid as when he gets a bit more filled out and a little more experience cutting his teeth against the best I think he'd fly for us. Here's hoping we keep going for that kind of quality whilst running to a tight budget

Back
Top Bottom