Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Funny thing is ME and a handful of others said this was the case the DAY AFTER Poch's comments, so sorry mate that absolutely BOLLOX.

There was a huge back and forth about those comments, surely you haven't forgotten already?

It's vindication day YET AGAIN for those that actual understand what the path of this club is on, who get what it is that we are building. But every year there are those who think that it's about doing what the other clubs do.

Have a longer read.......

I read the whole article about ten minutes ago.

Sorry, but while I have a huge amount of respect for Levy and Donna Cullen, there's more than a whiff of 'putting the best face on the current situation' about it.

"If you have a blank chequebook, it's a whole lot easier," she continued. "But I have to say that after all the years I've been in football, money doesn't guarantee you success. We've had seasons when we've brought in eight players and it's not been right.

"If you look at our squad, we've still got young players. You've seen Luke Amos play in the last week. The potential is still there, and therefore why would you necessarily need to look so much further?"

I love it when we promote youth, but that isn't a viable solution to all of our playing staff needs.

Likewise, I understand that 'bringing in eight players' is not necessarily a good idea. I've been advocating quality over quantity. Unfortunately we have brought in neither yet.

To me, 'being brave' could also relate to giving a chance to Academy products like Oliver Skipp & Luke Amos... now that IS bravery!!!

The obsession that we have to spend our way to the top of the league is odd... by that logic, Liverpool and West Ham will be fighting out the League between them, 'cos so far, they've spent the most!

...and besides, IF one or more of our Academy products turns into a gem, then surely they ARE the new signing?

After all... SOMEONE'S academy has to produce our NEXT crop of players... why can't it be ours?

I'm not going to use the b word but I'd like to think that maybe Poch and Levy have the same approach to the window. And I hope it's this.

Let's not waste money on the N' something's that could be decent squad players. Maybe they're looking at the situation they've both created, that is, putting us a couple of years ahead of schedule in terms of finishing positions and fan expectations.

As a fan, I'd like signings, but I also enjoy our approach. So, possibly the B word is along the lines of let's identify our top 1-2 targets in the positions we want. If we can't then let's use the younger players that are showing good signs rather than continue another period of unloading the dross that is hard to shift?

I can fully understand people's reasons for wanting to spend a lot more but it won't guarantee anything except a better chance and even then squad chemistry etc can be thrown in.

What I'm personally waiting for is the ridiculous money well to fall out. I'm 33. I'm hoping that within 10-15 years this money mess of football will have panned out by which time we will financially own one of the finest football establishments in the world.

Those that relied on billionaire owners and global investors will soon see them cover their own arses and get out. Hopefully, Enic don't sell us out to someone looking at us as a means of corporate money fleecing etc

Sorry for the ramble everyone. Please continue your respective online brawls

Propaganda from the right-hand woman. Not surprised though, she's just doing what she's paid to do.
What are you now expecting Poch to say? Do you think he will come out and call her a lying cunt? Trust me his next press conference is just hours away, do you think he will resign. Have more fictitious "showdown talks" :dembelelol:

Last edited:
Hopefully all the main actors will be made available for the ultimate deadline day.

Admin Admin make it happen.
I actually support this fully.

Get some Godzilla: King of the Monsters shit going next Thursday.

89c.gif

I read the whole article about ten minutes ago.

Sorry, but while I have a huge amount of respect for Levy and Donna Cullen, there's more than a whiff of 'putting the best face on the current situation' about it.

"If you have a blank chequebook, it's a whole lot easier," she continued. "But I have to say that after all the years I've been in football, money doesn't guarantee you success. We've had seasons when we've brought in eight players and it's not been right.

"If you look at our squad, we've still got young players. You've seen Luke Amos play in the last week. The potential is still there, and therefore why would you necessarily need to look so much further?"

I love it when we promote youth, but that isn't a viable solution to all of our playing staff needs.

Likewise, I understand that 'bringing in eight players' is not necessarily a good idea. I've been advocating quality over quantity. Unfortunately we have brought in neither yet.
And?

This is what others have been saying from the moment Poch made his comments after the last game. So many read it as something that it wasn't.

I still think we will buy players and it's still likely players will leave. Basically a very normal window for us. Which is what some of us said from the get go.

Forgive me for rubbing it in, but that's exactly what I'm going to be doing, seeing as there was such utter drivel said at the end of last season and throughout the summer. It's moments like these that I enjoy. Where's John Thomas John Thomas when you need to rub his face in it yet again?

And?

This is what others have been saying from the moment Poch made his comments after the last game. So many read it as something that it wasn't.

I still think we will buy players and it's still likely players will leave. Basically a very normal window for us. Which is what some of us said from the get go.

Forgive me for rubbing it in, but that's exactly what I'm going to be doing, seeing as there was such utter drivel said at the end of last season and throughout the summer. It's moments like these that I enjoy. Where's John Thomas John Thomas when you need to rub his face in it yet again?
I really think 'rubbing it in' is premature on your part.

You're taking an interview (a week before deadline day, no less) from Donna Cullen as gospel. With apparently no spin.

It fits your agenda, great, but not being at least slightly cynical about her quotes is naive.

We didn’t sign a single player yet. No one in here is asking to sign 5 players for 50 million each. It’s silly to think that we can’t improve our squad without going bankrupt. We want to finish at the very least in the top 4 and go to the champions league quarter finals. We need some improvements. Our midfield is not on the level of the rest of the team.
If we have as much as a single pound of net spend we will go bankrupt

What are you now expecting Poch to say? Do you think he will come out and call here a lying cunt? Trust me his next press conference is just hours away, do you think he will resign. Have more fictitious "showdown talks" :dembelelol:
Poch is probably the classiest manager around. He won't come out and publicly air the dirty laundry unlike Shoerinho.

I strongly believe he's very disappointed by the club's inactivity in the market so far.

And?

Sorry but why does that mean your stance on his comments was right?
If we have a completely normal window that could still mean poch wanted to do things differently this time.

Here's my genuine discussion and opinion. It's exactly the same as last summer. Then as now it's been twisted and mis-represented beyond belief.

We should...

• Identify players that will strengthen and improve our first team
• Negotiate a fair price and close the deal swiftly
• Bring in the player(s) as quickly as possible, allowing them to begin to adapt to the new team and, where applicable, new country/language

I don't think our strategy of leaving things late, as seen over countless past seasons, does us any favours.

Other than that I don't have any beef with Daniel Levy. In fact we're on first name terms...

OUz3v9v.jpg

:levylol:

1. Lol

2. Thx

3. I think the majority of us (in both perceived 'camps') share you hopes and ideals.

I'm just at odds with your response to it not transpiring to your liking(*)... Why is any rationale to any un-met criteria provided dismissed with derision?

...These things always have to trickle back to a question of how tight-fisted Levy is.

You posted a link to Levy's comments about budgets from 2015 (think it was you anyway)...

Since then, we've still spent, broke fee records and contracts ceilings whilst massively improving as a team (and squad).

I can't see much cause to doubt his word quite frankly.

...Why are the patient ridiculed as "apologists" (direct quote)?

(*I admit member's attitudes blurr into 'camps' as a window drags on, but this was at the very least the case y'day.)

If we fail to do any business at all this window then regardless of how aggrieved i feel personally, i accept that some will be fucked off about it.

We haven't reached that empass yet tho'.

Davinson perhaps, but Alderweireld is a LOT better than Dier, at least as a CB.

I agree that Toby leaving isn't the end of the world, but we don't have to pretend Dier is anywhere close to him, Toby has been perhaps the best CB in the league recently (something most would have admitted last year..) and Dier has never come close to that as a CB.

I hate Dier I’m midfield, but I think he’s not as far from TA as a CB as you do. I think they are both very similar types of CB, both big, robust, not great at moving with the ball but comfortable on it under no pressure, both developed as players in similar ways. TA was rated about the same as Dier is now at the same age, which is why he couldn’t get a game as a cb at AM and ended up on loan to a mid table PL club.

And we have Sanchez, who is even better, quicker, and enables us to press and play that high line.

Back
Top Bottom