Summer 2018 transfer window

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There has to be a good middle ground between how we and Liverpool operate in the transfer market, though.

Remember when we had Baldini at the club? Not all of the 'magnificent 7' were all so magnificent but it's clear the guy knew how to approach the selling clubs well and get the deals done. Even though we had the Bale money, we weren't spending crazy amounts on any of those players individually.

Paul Mitchell likely left out of frustration over the way Levy conducts player recruitment - and if Steve Hitchen walks in the next year or so then I don't think that'll be a great mystery either.
Copped a lot of undeserved flak did Baldini, I think. I'm not even sure he was the person identifying these players and it was clear some were AVBs targets. But yeah, Baldini was superb at getting the transfers done, probably had good relationships with some of these club's representatives that opened the door to get what we needed done. Perhaps Levy should hire him during negotiation stages.

Would that be a brave thing to do?
Yeah, sure, why not.

The most irritating thing about this fixation on Poch using the word “brave” is that he uses it all the fucking time. His book is full of mentions of being brave in a million different scenarios, it’s a buzzword of his. This ridiculous cyclical thread of trying to interpret this one-of-many uses of the word is getting seriously boring.

But why did Mitchell get frustrated? His job was to identify players not to actually choose who we sign.
If the players you identify get overlooked (in lieu of cheaper alternatives perhaps?) or deals for them break down over hardballing then I could see why someone would get pissed off.

Interestingly, he resigned shortly before we signed Sissoko. I don't think that's entirely coincidental.

That's the impression you've painted. Feel free to set me straight with an explanation

Yeh i clocked all that. I acknowledged it as an attempted humour, but it was lame opportunism; the lyrical gag didn't even fit.

Regardless, the point here isn't a critique on your comedic prowess - your a funny guy. It's that dispite your making comments like "genuine question", you're not up for the subsequent genuine discussion.

If I'm wrong about that and you wanna prove me wrong then the 'loose ends' from yesterday are still hanging.....
Here's my genuine discussion and opinion. It's exactly the same as last summer. Then as now it's been twisted and mis-represented beyond belief.

We should...

• Identify players that will strengthen and improve our first team
• Negotiate a fair price and close the deal swiftly
• Bring in the player(s) as quickly as possible, allowing them to begin to adapt to the new team and, where applicable, new country/language

I don't think our strategy of leaving things late, as seen over countless past seasons, does us any favours.

Other than that I don't have any beef with Daniel Levy. In fact we're on first name terms...

OUz3v9v.jpg

:levylol:

There really isn't , there's just pages of people refusing to believe that maybe just maybe poch wanted signings done earlier in the window and for whatever reason they haven't come. It's okay to admit we're behind and at a disadvantage right now compared to other teams, that doesn't mean you think levy is a cunt or mean that you are a liverpool lover or that we are going to have a shit season. But people trying to turn pochs words into meaning he just wants to promote more academy players is ridiculous in my opinion.

Well, another part of this whole 'bravery' thing is keeping our best players by rewarding them with big pay increases. Poch himself has come out and highlighted the importance and benefits of tying down the likes of Kane, Son and Lamela to new contracts. I'm sure they're working to do the same with Dele, Eriksen, Jan & more.

We have a great first XI, the second best in the league imo despite Liverpool's spending spree. We do need some reinforcements though and I can understand why so many are frustrated by our inactivity. I am too!

Copped a lot of undeserved flak did Baldini, I think. I'm not even sure he was the person identifying these players and it was clear some were AVBs targets. But yeah, Baldini was superb at getting the transfers done, probably had good relationships with some of these club's representatives that opened the door to get what we needed done. Perhaps Levy should hire him during negotiation stages.
That's exactly what I want, to be honest. Someone with contacts to get the deal in place and Levy to sign the cheques (so long as he's happy with the deal).

Christ, it's not like Levy doesn't have enough on his plate with the stadium, etc.

But why did Mitchell get frustrated? His job was to identify players not to actually choose who we sign.
If you were advising the people you work with of what you feel is the best solution - doing your job - and it was falling on deaf ears, perhaps you'd get frustrated. These guys often go on reputation, if it was noted that Mitchell was not responsible for any good signings how quickly do you think he'd lose his rep? Secondly, I think we were frustrated with him too, N'Jie and N'Koudou were supposedly his picks. Perhaps he was suggesting Southampton level talented and he couldn't operate at a club where the demands and standards were higher?!

Even now though, you're claiming that anything but your perception is implausible.

That's what i'm debunking here.

I'm not claiming definitive understanding of what "brave" meant nor whether he was making "demands" rather than merely stating ideals.

You are tho.
And I asked for any alternatives and you couldn't give any, there's only 1 alternative I've seen given on here and that was what I was debunking...

I’ve been thinking about Fekir as an option as well - clearly available and would be another player in the Eriksen slot that we don’t have.

I can’t see CCV is gonna make our level so if Toby goes there’s got to be a replacement of sufficient quality

But we already have Dier, Sanchez and Foyth ? Dier and Sanchez are already ahead of the curve in terms of their age/ability than Alderweireld was at the same age development stage of his career. He couldn't get a game as a CB at Atletico.

Absolutely tragic scenes for those who thought anything different to Poch's comments at the end of last season.................

Lol come on what is she going to say, "poch is stressed and furious that levy hasn't made any signings " (im not saying he is furious with levy) but of course these are going to be comments made by someone close to levy.

Levy's right-hand woman comes out with spin when the club has made zero signings ten days before the window shuts.

Colour me surprised.

giphy.gif
Funny thing is ME and a handful of others said this was the case the DAY AFTER Poch's comments, so sorry mate that absolute BOLLOX.

There was a huge back and forth about those comments, surely you haven't forgotten already?

It's vindication day YET AGAIN for those that actual understand what the path of this club is on, who get what it is that we are building. But every year there are those who think that it's about doing what the other clubs do.

Have a longer read.......

Last edited:
Lol come on what is she going to say, "poch is stressed and furious that levy hasn't made any signings " (im not saying he is furious with levy) but of course these are going to be comments made by someone close to levy.
She is saying what a few on here said directly after Poch's end of season press conference. How it was interpreted.

I mean these a whole thread of people interpretations, just those that got it right and those that got it wrong.

But we already have Dier, Sanchez and Foyth ? Dier and Sanchez are already ahead of the curve in terms of their age/ability than Alderweireld was at the same age development stage of his career. He couldn't get a game as a CB at Atletico.

Davinson perhaps, but Alderweireld is a LOT better than Dier, at least as a CB.

I agree that Toby leaving isn't the end of the world, but we don't have to pretend Dier is anywhere close to him, Toby has been perhaps the best CB in the league recently (something most would have admitted last year..) and Dier has never come close to that as a CB.

Back
Top Bottom