Zero Debt

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you happy with the transfer strategy of ENIC?

• Yes

Votes: 48 53.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I don't know and I don't care. This is a stupid poll.

Votes: 13 14.6%

• Total voters
Seriously? You can't think of one other reason?
:dembele:

Not something to do with a new broadcast revenue deal, perhaps?
Pessimistic old git mate. He's sat there waiting for the financials so he can pick them apart and have another moan.

Moan moan fuckin moan.

I'm gonna order him a City shirt if he carries on.

Year end accs
1.Player book value 122.3mill (2013 73.2mill)
2. Average wage cost 2014 264k (2013 261k)
3. Europa League prizemoney & gate 9.2mill (2013 10.4mill)
4. Capital Cup prizemoney & gate 3.2mill (2013 0.9mill)
Thank you greavsie, good pickup £3.2mill relates to Donestic Cup (inclusive of CC & FA cups). Trying to sleep over here in Oz.
Otherwise you stated values Net Assets incorrectly. can't get explanation now will do later.
Otherwise briefly:
1. Player values are treated as intangible assets
2. Player assets capitalised based on their contract value and or purchase value.
3. This carrying amount is reduced over the life of the contract. Eg say lamela brought for 30mill and has 5yr contract - amortisation is 6mill per yr.
4. Assume after 3yrs is sold - his carrying val is 12mill. Then say he is sold for 15mill, then THFC records a profit of 3mill.
I can explain in depth more if required.

Thank you greavsie, good pickup £3.2mill relates to Donestic Cup (inclusive of CC & FA cups). Trying to sleep over here in Oz.
Otherwise you stated values Net Assets incorrectly. can't get explanation now will do later.
Otherwise briefly:
1. Player values are treated as intangible assets
2. Player assets capitalised based on their contract value and or purchase value.
3. This carrying amount is reduced over the life of the contract. Eg say lamela brought for 30mill and has 5yr contract - amortisation is 6mill per yr.
4. Assume after 3yrs is sold - his carrying val is 12mill. Then say he is sold for 15mill, then THFC records a profit of 3mill.
I can explain in depth more if required.

Hi Shawry, thanks for that useful info. But I don't think I did make a mistake re Net Assets. I'm quoting straight from the accounts. Unfortunately they don't seem to allow for Copy and Paste.

But if you go to the fourth line up from the bottom of page 2 looking at the heading 'Net Assets' it's stated there. £183,686,000 compared to £78,425,000 the previous year.

I'm pretty sure you know more about accounts than I do, so if I've got that wrong, please explain why/how :)

PS thanks again for all your valuable input on this. I think you pulled off something of a coup in Spursdom, because you picked up on these figures a long way before any of the other forums I frequent (and of course this one). So big kudos for this, and once again very poor from Spurs/ENIC not to tell us about this.

EDIT

They finally caught up with this one on SC, at 5.30 pm today. I wonder if was from here or some other source. I bet it wasn't from the OS 'latest news' and it's lack of info thereof.

EDIT 2

I can however copy and paste from SC, and a very good analysis over there from Spurs Idol

http://www.spurscommunity.co.uk/index.php?threads/financial-results.118068/page-7

backs up my point re net assets

' swelled net assets to £183.7m (up from £78.4m)'

Which of course is effectively the same as what I was saying re net assets :thumbup:

Spurs Idol makes an interesting point with regard to this rise in value ' the increase being necessary to attract bank finance to build the NDP.'

That seems like a very good insight into why we have had such a staggering rise in our net asset value.

Last edited:
One stand out figure in the accounts for me is our net assets have risen to a staggering £183m, that's up an incredible £105m from the previous year. Indeed for years our net assets have fluctuated between £70-81m, and now this incredible rise.

Some £50m is related to increase in player value I think, but the rest, mmm, I don't know.
From looking at SC, it appears that the massive increase in net asset values comes from the profit we made (£65m) and the £40m raised from Macon, which I believe effectively/mainly wiped out our net debt.

Last edited:
Well the detail accounts for the year ended 30th June, 2014 posted on OS.
Just a few highlights.

1. 40 mill of capital raised to Macon Inc pref shares as a related company (Levy and who ?) Guess the 40 mill assisted in paying down debt.
2. Profit before tax 80mill (2013 3.7mill) of which football trading 56.9mill (2013 0.96mill)
3. Profit after tax 65.3mill (2013 1.5mill)
4. Football trading (predominately football players) gain on sale of players 104mill (2013 26.3mill) Amortisation of players 39.8mill (2013 26.8mill) plus Write down of player value 10.2mill (2013 nil).
5. Player contract writedown of 10.2mill specifically relates to 3 players (not mentioned by name) to a carrying value of 44.9mill – smells like balance of Paulinho, Soldado, Lamela for not achieving contract milestones.
6. Wages increased by 4.5% to 100.4mill and employee numbers increased 3.3% to 380.
7. Directors payments 3.6mill of which though unnamed presumably Daniel Levy 2.166mill.
8. Redundancy and onerous employment contracts 4.66mill (2103 0.61mill) – i presume most of this would relate to AVB, Sherwood and friend settlements.
Good morning (aussie time),
I refer you to my original post, point 1 and 2.
Yes this relates to the effect on net assets. My comment thru the night was in reflection of your comment net assets previously around 100 mill. I knew the values to be as you said 70 mill to 180 odd mill as i was not going to look up the accounts again at 3am.
The increase in the Net Assets from 2013 to 2014 was from two items 1. The net profit and 2. £40mill of pref shares.
Yes the reason though as implied in point 1. Orginal post is to make balance sheet more attractive to acquire debt for stadium build.
I made other observations about net assets on twitter but will leave that one there.
I am more interested in what rights the £40mill pref shares attract - eg divs when stadium built ? , what voting powers etc. who is MACON INC (aside from saying common ownership -,Levy, Lewis).
The other observation not picked up was point 5 which talks about a write down on player carrying value £10.2mill.
Thank you for showing interest in this very important area, i always like to see the official accounts as opposed to the media abridged accs. I have placed a similar post on Spurs Oddsey so will see if gets noticed.

From looking at SC, it appears that the massive increase in net asset values comes from the profit we made (£65m) and the £40m raised from Macon, which I believe effectively/mainly wiped out our net debt.
Hi Greavsie, see prior post plus below
Was trying to work how to send you a direct message. Couldn't find out how to do that but noticed your profile page. Well done, now know why you Greavsie - born in '51 you would have seen the great man himself and the glory team. My favs have been John White, Cliffy. And yeah all others super players. You have seen some grt players/teams.
You would love to chat with one of our more passionate members of Ozspurs - Peter who username Mackayfan. Peter would be same vintage as you and raves about those days as a boy going to WHL.

I am more interested in what rights the £40mill pref shares attract - eg divs when stadium built ? , what voting powers etc. who is MACON INC (aside from saying common ownership -,Levy, Lewis).

It's just Enic - it was covered in last years statement

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/financial-results-shareholder-and-stadium-update-020414/

Fundraising

In addition to acquiring the non-core properties and financing the Phase 1 build, ENIC has supported the Club by way of an interest free, unsecured loan of £40m. This loan will be converted, subject to shareholder approval, into non-voting preference share capital. A circular will be dispatched to shareholders in due course.

£40m is the maximum investment an owner can make in any season before breaking FFP iirc.

Hi Shawry, thanks for the two posts and your many valuable insights. I'm sure I'd love to talk to some of you on OzSpurs including MackayLad.

For me, the now sadly deceased Dave Mackay, was Spurs greatest-ever player.

I've often regretted the fact that my family didn't take the opportunity of the '£10 bargain emigration offers' in the early 60s, as it seems to me OZ is one of the greatest places to live in the world. Though I would have missed going to the Lane of course.

Back to the accounts, I couldn't agree more about the importance of the actual full accounts rather than 'abridged versions'. Hence my irritation, not to say anger at the club for not flagging these up in the news section of the OS. When I think of the flim flam that gets posted there compared to what is one of the most important documents a club can post in a year .... :mad:

Hi Shawry, thanks for the two posts and your many valuable insights. I'm sure I'd love to talk to some of you on OzSpurs including MackayLad.

For me, the now sadly deceased Dave Mackay, was Spurs greatest-ever player.

I've often regretted the fact that my family didn't take the opportunity of the '£10 bargain emigration offers' in the early 60s, as it seems to me OZ is one of the greatest places to live in the world. Though I would have missed going to the Lane of course.

Back to the accounts, I couldn't agree more about the importance of the actual ful accounts rather than 'abridged versions'. Hence my irritation, not to say anger at the club for not flagging these up in the news section of the OS. When I think of the flim flam that gets posted there compared to what is one of the most important documents a club can post in a year .... :mad:
Mate, you don't like the club, you don't like the manager, you don't like the fans - half the players, you don't like people on message boards, you want the Lane demolished. This is the reason you are getting nothing out of it. You've fallen out of love.

Mate, you don't like the club, you don't like the manager, you don't like the fans - half the players, you don't like people on message boards, you want the Lane demolished. This is the reason you are getting nothing out of it. You've fallen out of love.
I can see your POV on this Joe.

But just for the record, I still, in a way, love Spurs the club, but I most definitely do NOT love ENIC. Sometimes for shorthand I'll say 'club' when really I mean ENIC.

Of course what constitutes the 'club' is a difficult philosophical point. To use a modern business term, the club has many stakeholders, some parts I like, some parts I don't etc.

For example, the reason I joined here is because of the fantastic 1882 movement, which I think is brilliant. So clearly I like some of the fans.

Re the Lane being demolished, pretty much everyone wants that surely, as the way forward is a new stadium.

I can see your POV on this Joe.

But just for the record, I still, in a way, love Spurs the club, but I most definitely do NOT love ENIC. Sometimes for shorthand I'll say 'club' when really I mean ENIC.

Of course what constitutes the 'club' is a difficult philosophical point. To use a modern business term, the club has many stakeholders, some parts I like, some parts I don't etc.

For example, the reason I joined here is because of the fantastic 1882 movement, which I think is brilliant. So clearly I like some of the fans.

Re the Lane being demolished, pretty much everyone wants that surely, as the way forward is a new stadium.
I love the Lane, it's a proper football stadium.

I actually think it's a reluctant acceptance that this is the way it's going.
I think most fans understand that we need to move to keep of with the other top clubs, but if given a choice of

A) stay at White Hart Lane and compete at the level we are now, with a few possible gems coming out of the Academy every now and then
and
B) move to the new WHL and have more money to spend

I think the result of that would shock you Greaves357_bestever Greaves357_bestever

It wouldn't be B.

Cheers Blanchflower, like Shawry you've been a mine of useful info on this topic :thumbup:
Yeah thanks to both you two showing interest in the accs. Me I marvel at Levy how he manufactures when results are published generally after he has January trfs and also sticky moments - whether it be Harry Redknapp issues and more recently Archway issues.
My meaning is ensuring others can't take of THFC financials when they not in marketplace.
Obvisiously now being a private company instead of public company means Levy may only need to conform to EPL reporting requirements.

Back
Top Bottom