Zero Debt

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are you happy with the transfer strategy of ENIC?

• Yes

Votes: 48 53.9%
  • No

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I don't know and I don't care. This is a stupid poll.

Votes: 13 14.6%

• Total voters
Us

We
16px-Schutzstaffel_SS.svg.png
Ham

Hence my comment 'West Ham far more so than us of course.'

I mention West Ham, because they have a potential game changer in a new stadium, just as we do.

They would need, as I've already explained, also to get a City/Chelsea style owner. But the OS gets them a much better chance of doing that, IMHO.

Re the poll, it's quite interesting just how big a backing ENIC are getting for their transfer strategy. There's an awful lot of Spurs fans it seems, if this poll is an indicator, with the fiasco of the 'Magnificent 7' summer of Bale, and the inactivity of last winter. Absolutely baffling to me, but each to their own, etc.

Fuck the new stadium off, buy the world's best players win the league and then do a Leeds. YOLO.
Or maybe, show just a little more ambition in the transfer market to give us a fighting chance of reaching the top 4 rather than sacking the manager every time we don't. .

I mention West Ham, because they have a potential game changer in a new stadium, just as we do.

They would need, as I've already explained, also to get a City/Chelsea style owner. But the OS gets them a much better chance of doing that, IMHO.

Re the poll, it's quite interesting just how big a backing ENIC are getting for their transfer strategy. There's an awful lot of Spurs fans it seems, if this poll is an indicator, with the fiasco of the 'Magnificent 7' summer of Bale, and the inactivity of last winter. Absolutely baffling to me, but each to their own, etc.

greaves!.
you forgot one thing.. west hams record crowd in there history is 44.000.. & that was against us!!.. where are all these fans newbo fans coming from !!.. football attendances have peaked for this cycle.. they only way to fill the place will be heavily discounted tickets to put bums on seats.
they cant sell out upton park without kids for a quid offers etc..and a dying fanbase centered around basildon where there possibly still not the most supported team in the town!.
stop comparing them and us there is no comparison... after the initial novelty factor of visiting the "Olympic" stadium and normality kicks in they 'll still be shit ! just in a shiney new half empty rented home!.

they will never own the Olympic stadium and rules in place stipulate they cant profit from naming rights or any merchandising of the stadium itself plus in the unlikely event they ever get into profit a large amount goes back to the taxpayer.. add ffp and it aint as rosey as all told.
etc thus curtailing revenue streams

Last edited:
What a crock of shit - we have much more than 0 debt

Fucking LOL - typical ENIC apologist propaganda
It's been in the news at a couple of places. We had debt somewhere around 30-ish million and with the profit, we have decided to completely close the debt. And I don't believe anyone can fake profits and make claims that debts have been zeroed out without substantial proof.

And while I don't agree with the transfer policy of ENIC so far, I think they do deserve kudos for what they have done with minimal net investment.

We can still get rid of useless deadwood and get in decent players who will improve the team! Hopefully this zero debt makes the board a little bit more risk taking and they get some good players in.

It's been in the news at a couple of places. We had debt somewhere around 30-ish million and with the profit, we have decided to completely close the debt. And I don't believe anyone can fake profits and make claims that debts have been zeroed out without substantial proof.

And while I don't agree with the transfer policy of ENIC so far, I think they do deserve kudos for what they have done with minimal net investment.

We can still get rid of useless deadwood and get in decent players who will improve the team! Hopefully this zero debt makes the board a little bit more risk taking and they get some good players in.

zero debt also rings bells for potential investors/ buyers!.

This is from a few days ago - give or take 60m debt

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/financial-results-270315/

I doubt selling that dump of a stadium and the ground around could amount to a 100 million but I'm not an expert on London real-estate, anyone got trustworthy data on that?

The sale of their current shit hole generated something like £30-40 million ( I posted the correct figure on the Stadium thread )

They are obligated to be "Debt free" before they take their 25 match day a year lease.

I can only assume the revenue from their soon to be Champions League winning run might well clear the majority of the remaining debt.

It's a very Good job they don't operate on a "kids for a quid" policy to sell their existing stadium out otherwise it's going to be hard to flog those seats 60 meters away from the running track......no debt / no assest / no problem

The debt was wiped out by ENIC a while back and all credit :) to them for that. Whether it was a straight 'gift' from them (effectively to themselves as the club is worth way more than what they paid for it) or they traded off the debt in the form of more shares or some such, I know not.

Many/Most people who have commented on ENIC's generous act (and I'm truly not knocking it, cos it was a good thing for the club) felt the main reasoning behind it was to help us get us more favourable financing for the stadium, as organisations tend to look more kindly on loaning money to organisations that are debt-free.

Possibly, I thought of that as well. But who in their right minds would be willing to pay 1 billion pounds that ENIC are demanding!
The 'billion pound brain blower', is certainly way in excess of the club's current value. BUT IF the stadium gets successfully finished by ENIC, then the value of the club will likely be fairly near that. Also, given that Levy likes to sell dear and buy cheap, it's not too far from a possibility that we'll be the first club to go for nine figures ( A palpable strike or what!).

What I fear is that Levy/ENIC will drive such a hard bargain to sell the club, it will frighten off a buyer who otherwise would be good for us.

The sale of their current shit hole generated something like £30-40 million ( I posted the correct figure on the Stadium thread )

They are obligated to be "Debt free" before they take their 25 match day a year lease.

I can only assume the revenue from their soon to be Champions League winning run might well clear the majority of the remaining debt.

It's a very Good job they don't operate on a "kids for a quid" policy to sell their existing stadium out otherwise it's going to be hard to flog those seats 60 meters away from the running track......no debt / no assest / no problem
I would expect the rest of the debt to be cleared by the owners. As the club is worth now a lot more than what they paid for it, they can easily recover any loans/shares they have invested in the club, ifthey sell.

Meanwhile they are currently running at a profit according to the Mail 'infographic' (£15.3m pre-tax last season) so they can presumably start using some of that up to pay off the debt as well. Incidentally the Mail's analysis is inaccurate. West Ham don't need a partial sale to clear their debt, because AFAIK, the owners can clear the debt as I've outlined, just as ENIC have cleared our debt.

Of course the club may sell to help clear the debt, but they don't have to.

The OS is a massive lottery win for the Hammers as a club in terms of money, at the taxpayers' expense of course. Whether it turns out to be good for the fans and the club in general is harder to call.

IF they can use the OS as part of the bait to land a City/Chelsea style owner, then that will be be a game changer, and indeed they will in all likelihood be challenging for CL places. While they stayed at the Boleyn they were no threat to us, the OS potentially changes that, IMHO.

Indeed effectively the OS has already been a 'game changer' for West ham, in that without the carrot of this taxpayer-funded windfall, it may well be that the current owners wouldn't have bought the club, or have pumped the money into the club they have to keep them (albeit with a relegation in between) in the Prem.

No OS and the Hammers may have gone into administration, and there's certainly a good chance they'd now be in the Championship. I've no interest in athletics or the Olympic games, but I curse the day London got the Olympics as it's helped out West Ham so much, and indirectly maybe also harmed us as well already, given our failed Stratford bid. But that's another debate for another thread I think.:)

Last edited:
In reference to the poll are you happy with the transfer strategy I voted no. While I must commend Levy and the board on the stunning success of our youth policy, the appointment of Poch, the development of out training facilities and pressing ahead the new stadium I cannot say that our recent transfers have been upto standard.

We bought 7 players worth around £100 million and only Eriksen was a genuine success while Chadli and Lamela were ok, the others Capoue, Chirches, Paulinho, Soldado have totally failed, for me whoever is too blame (Baldini or Levy etc) that is not the sign of a good transfer policy. Then of course we have Stambouli and Fazio who were good enough to be squad players but it seem little else.

I am all for buying young English talents and am perfectly fine with the like of Dele Alli for £5 million and would not be against more young talents but as we have what seems like a bundle of young English talents ready to step up I see little point in continuing to buy average 25 year olds bench warmers from elsewhere.

I know this is a point I have made previously but it seems like the missing piece of the jigsaw for us as a club. If we buy 3-4 Fazio/Chadli level players during the summer which is our recent transfer model we will end up in the same situation next year all wondering why we didn't break top 4. There is a great danger as well in being an unambitious side with one amazing outfield player in Kane just like we were with Bale and then the whole thing repeats, a wonder player at an 'average side' and over time pressure for a move increases and back to square one.

We now have Mitchell so hopefully we will buy better than with Baldini, we have or should have about £50 million in the summer from sales, we need to now abandon the cheap deals on second rate players and be prepared if Poch wants to pay top buck to bring in the goodies, only then will we bring all the pieces together IMO. If Bale does get sold and wants a return for £75 million and we have already made £50 million surely it cannot be beyond us to bring him back and have Kane and Bale ripping Premier League defences to pieces. I know Bale will probably stay or if he goes probably United will get him, but honestly just one signing in Bale will be better than 4 average signings for us as a club in terms of on the pitch success and making a statement to the World of who we are.

I don't know who is our best target, but whoever Poch and the team feel is best it's time as a club to not short change the manager anymore. If Levy is able to resolve what I feel is our flawed transfer policy then as a club I will say we are now being well run on all counts. Right now Levy and the club get a D from me for transfers, our weakest area.

Back
Top Bottom