You're the Manager: v Woolwich (A)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Simple thread: Just answer the following

How would you have lined up before the game and why?
What would you have done at half time?

Keep answers short(ish) and if you want to question someone else try and do it in your answers

Before the game:
Lennon or VdV for Kranjcar
Bale to play on the left

At Half Time:
VdV for Kranjcar,
Keep Bale Left
Keep Saha on

That would have left Lennon and Sandro with the possibility of coming on for Saha. We could then bring on Sandro in a swap for Saha, or bring on Lennon and move VdV in to a position behind Ade - VdV chases the ball a lot, so would maybe make them have played a deeper defensive line.

Re: You're the Manager: v a***nal (A)

Would have gone 4-3-3

Same back four. Parker livermore and modric in a triangle.

Bale on left, VDV on right Ade up front.

Lennon on at ht or 60 as required. Sandro not fit enough so I would have kept on the bench.

If we were a goal down with 10 to go then Saha or JD on for Livermore.

Lennon on the right would have been my choice, but we're not party to information on how fit he was.

At half time my pal and I were screaming out for Lennon to replace Kranjcar but again, it's really easy to sit at a computer and make these decisions without all the info.

And yes, Bale needs to be told to keep left. If he's not getting the ball or being doubled up on, then try swapping wings with Lennon (or whoever starts right), the free role should be saved as an absolute last option.

The thing about Bale coming inside all the time. is this maybe because Adebayor keeps drifting out to the left?

You're the Manager: v a***nal (A)

Reptile_16 said:
Sibs are we making these choices with 20:20 hindsight, or just based upon what we knew prior to the match?

Prior to match and based on 2:2 at halftime

Sean said:
The thing about Bale coming inside all the time. is this maybe because Adebayor keeps drifting out to the left?

Adebayor played down the right channel against Newcastle and Bale stuck to the left......our best performance since Xmas

I'll try to keep it short.

Before the game:
The biggest question-mark for me prior to the game was the fitness issue, affecting BAE, Sandro and vdV. Ledley was an obvious risk but a calculated one, and I have to assume that the back-room staff advised H that Benny was ok to go or he would not have started. No changes in personnel for me then. BUT, none of this Bale drifting inside bollocks. While I accept that there is a tactical slant when Adebayor comes outside, we shouldn't set up to have Bale coming inside when he's at his best out wide running at full-backs.

At Half Time:
Two things that struck me as the first half drew on were that we were leaving large areas in front of the back four for their midfield to exploit (which of course they did) and there was a lot of aerial pressure, which Kaboul/King did not deal with well on the day. The biggest consideration for me then was whether to take off Saha or Adebayor, given that each of them bagged a goal before the break. In the interests of protecting the scoreline however, I would have brought Sandro on for Saha (I think Adebayor offers more in the lone role), gone to 4-4-1-1 and instructed Bale to stay out wide with Sandro/Parker not so much 'holding' as occupying that central space. Modric to be allowed licence to move forward.

With 20:20 Hindsight Though
King and BAE were total liabilities as it turned out and possibly should never have featured at the expense of Dawson and Rose (if there was even 1% doubt about Benny's fitness I mean). In that event I would also have started Lennon instead of Kranjcar (sp) in a simple 4-4-2 with Bale again not permitted to fanny about in the middle.

If all were match fit I would have started:-

[formation=4-4-1-1 GK=Friedel D=BAE King Kaboul Walker DM= M=Bale Modric Parker Lennon AM=VDV S=Adebayor]Bale and Lennon can switch, but they must give us some width. Parker stays the deepest on the central midfield 3.[/formation]

at half time I would have mad the changes to create the team above,

i really felt there were a number of spurs players who just didnt stay in position not just bale.
kranjcar was playing inside alot also. but if i was in charge...

only change to the starting line up would have been lennon for kranjcar, and no free roaming bale bollocks.
left and left only.

halftime i wouldnt have made a change. i felt harry was too hasty with his changes.
60 mins however possibly vdv for saha all dependant on the rest of the team and play i guess.

The funny thing is... all this deliberation as to what formation we'd have STARTED with, and yet here we all are assuming it would've been 2-2 at HT... SURELY if everyone's opinion had worked, then it WOULDN'T have been 2-2 at HT, or else what's the point, we're still at the same score in the game as Harry was with HIS selection!

Thing is, either starting with Lennon instead of Kranjcar (for example) WORKS and we're not at 2-2... or it doesn't work, in which case we're back to where we started...

I think Harry should've been braver at 2-0 and MAYBE make the change then, rather than waiting until it was too late (at 2-2) and - in pretty much his own words - we looked like we were beaten!

When it went 2-0 the lads should have just shut up shop until half time at the very least and made it an ugly game. We were venturing forward at the same rate and not getting back either. The defending was pathetically bad for the first two goals and that set the tone. A solid 10/15 minutes there and half time at 2-0? I think we would have cruised that 2nd half whoever was on the pitch.

Edit: Cocked up the format...

Before the game:
VdV starting over Saha

Half-time:
Lennon coming on for Kranjcar

same as Harry tbh only telling Bale to hug the touchline and using Lennon and VdV as impact subs....but then i'm not a football manager so we probably would have lost by even more and I would have made it home, in a pine box

paulhasissues said:
Would have gone 4-3-3

Same back four. Parker livermore and modric in a triangle.

Bale on left, VDV on right Ade up front.

Lennon on at ht or 60 as required. Sandro not fit enough so I would have kept on the bench.

If we were a goal down with 10 to go then Saha or JD on for Livermore.
This.

Thing is, we're going to HAVE to change things for Sunday due to Parker's absence... so do we pack the midfield (albeit at home) to accommodate Modric, Sandro and/or Livermore and play Ade/Saha on their own, or will they get isolated?

Personally, I think I must be the only person who doesn't actually mind the 4-4-2... players somehow seem more comfortable with this simpler formation, BUT the roaming/free role that Bale, Modric & VdV seem to share between them also seems to be confusing the others who must surely realise they have to cover the gaps made by Bale suddenly deciding to play down the middle... isn't that either Benny's job to push up and fill the gap (dangerous I realise as he leave the LB position exposed) or for one of the CM to switch places...?

I guess it's not a simple as that, and against Man Utd I'd imagine we'll get found out (again) if we try to be too cute and clever (again!!) Keep things simple I reckon... sure, when we're 5-0 up against Newcastle you can switch around and play tippy-tappy... but ffs, we've got to GET ourselves in that position first!!

I wouldn't have started Kranjcar but I actually thought he was one of few players sharp into tackles and keeping a good defensive shape.

I'd have gone 4-3-3.

Back
Top Bottom