Your Expected Lineup Come September

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because the three behind the striker aren't really wingers. There are three CAMs that hopefully will move around with Fluidity. Our LB and RB act as wingers in Poch's system.

Indeed, but as we've seen with Poch's previous arrangements, including in the friendlies with us, he typically rolls with creative output as well the pace of a genuine winger/wide forward. That way, the rotation constantly keeps the opposition thinking (hopefully overthinking) and disrupts structure. If you have three flat similar players across, it eliminates this advantage.

Indeed, but as we've seen with Poch's previous arrangements, including in the friendlies with us, he typically rolls with creative output as well the pace of a genuine winger/wide forward. That way, the rotation constantly keeps the opposition thinking (hopefully overthinking) and disrupts structure. If you have three flat similar players across, it eliminates this advantage.

Yes you're right that's what we've seen so far, but that could be Poch just trying things out. Lennon and Townsend have been give the opportunity, but have they really done anything to warrant a starting spot? Lennon has looked decent, but you can tell he's still having trouble in a role where positions are interchanging.

Holtby doesn't have the speed of either but more technical ability than both combined. He seems comfortable on the right side. Against most teams we should dominate possession so Lennon and Townsend's speed wouldn't be as useful anyways.

Yes you're right that's what we've seen so far, but that could be Poch just trying things out. Lennon and Townsend have been give the opportunity, but have they really done anything to warrant a starting spot? Lennon has looked decent, but you can tell he's still having trouble in a role where positions are interchanging.

Holtby doesn't have the speed of either but more technical ability than both combined. He seems comfortable on the right side. Against most teams we should dominate possession so Lennon and Townsend's speed wouldn't be as useful anyways.

What we've seen an increased emphasis on forward passing from deep, and a continuation of a disordered front four. These are core essentials to Poch's systems in the past, and from what we've seen I expect them to be continued. I've actually been rather impressed with how Lennon's adapted in, as his performances as an inverted winger in the past have just been shockingly poor. But he seems to be enjoying contributing to the very different and intriguing style Poch's system creates offensively.

Especially given the interest in J Rod, I think it much more likely we see either Lennon in the role to continue Poch's plans or another left winger brought in, rather than Holtby or Eriksen playing wide. Certainly think that would have been tried out by now in the friendlies were it to be under consideration.

.....................Lloris
Walker.....mateo.....jan.....Davis
.....schniederlin.....paulinho
Lamela.....Eriksen.....Chadli
.................Adebayor

Would prefer another left winger to chadli but can't see that happening at this point
Eriksen should be in the middle of the three behind the striker as a number 10 imo

What we've seen an increased emphasis on forward passing from deep, and a continuation of a disordered front four. These are core essentials to Poch's systems in the past, and from what we've seen I expect them to be continued. I've actually been rather impressed with how Lennon's adapted in, as his performances as an inverted winger in the past have just been shockingly poor. But he seems to be enjoying contributing to the very different and intriguing style Poch's system creates offensively.

Especially given the interest in J Rod, I think it much more likely we see either Lennon in the role to continue Poch's plans or another left winger brought in, rather than Holtby or Eriksen playing wide. Certainly think that would have been tried out by now in the friendlies were it to be under consideration.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand Poch's system, the problem is you can't compare Rodriguez to Lennon. The only thing they have in common is speed. Lennon has shown little end product. He's looked decent during preseason, but I don't think he's shown enough to win a starting spot.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. I understand Poch's system, the problem is you can't compare Rodriguez to Lennon. The only thing they have in common is speed. Lennon has shown little end product. He's looked decent during preseason, but I don't think he's shown enough to win a starting spot.

I think you're spot on in your contrasting of the two, in fact I could not agree more. I don't think Lennon is Poch's final intended solution for the position at all, but rather a stopgap. He of course wouldn't be looking to acquire Rodriguez if he were content with Lennon. Believe you me my friend, if it were all up to me, I'd bring in another left winger in a heartbeat. I know you're new here (and would like to reiterate that I think you clearly know your shit and I value your opinion rather highly), but believe me I've been beating on the left winger drum on here for well over a year at this point.

However, Lennon has done well enough to provide that stopgap, which is while I don't like it, I believe we'll end up going ahead with what we have at winger unless Koeman does indeed decide to chase Chadli. But I really don't think Holtby would be content with playing wide, and he seems to be very excited with the way Poch wants to play . He's said he doesn't even prefer playing CAM, let alone as a wide option. So while it seems you may prefer the lineup, and preferences aside it may even work the best, it's still nonetheless one I highly doubt we'll see after all is said and done at the end of the window.

I think you're spot on in your contrasting of the two, in fact I could not agree more. I don't think Lennon is Poch's final intended solution for the position at all, but rather a stopgap. He of course wouldn't be looking to acquire Rodriguez if he were content with Lennon. Believe you me my friend, if it were all up to me, I'd bring in another left winger in a heartbeat. I know you're new here (and would like to reiterate that I think you clearly know your shit and I value your opinion rather highly), but believe me I've been beating on the left winger drum on here for well over a year at this point.

However, Lennon has done well enough to provide that stopgap, which is while I don't like it, I believe we'll end up going ahead with what we have at winger unless Koeman does indeed decide to chase Chadli. But I really don't think Holtby would be content with playing wide, and he seems to be very excited with the way Poch wants to play . He's said he doesn't even prefer playing CAM, let alone as a wide option. So while it seems you may prefer the lineup, and preferences aside it may even work the best, it's still nonetheless one I highly doubt we'll see after all is said and done at the end of the window.

Can't disagree with anything you said. We'll just have to wait in see.

.....................Lloris
Walker.....mateo.....jan.....Davis
.....schniederlin.....paulinho
Lamela.....Eriksen.....Chadli
.................Adebayor

Would prefer another left winger to chadli but can't see that happening at this point
Eriksen should be in the middle of the three behind the striker as a number 10 imo

So it's now looking like Chadli could be replaced with Depay here.

Just taking that potential team and breaking it down a bit:

Lloris
Walker Mussachio Vertonghen Davies

The defence looks good. Not "top drawer" imv but not far off. Potentially a top four defence.

Schneiderlin Paulinho

Well... Needs someone more creative than Paulinho there but pretty good especially if we had Schneiderlin there. I'd prob still go for Dembele alongside a DM but granted either way it isn't the strongest.

Lamela Eriksen Depay
Adebayor

Seemingly decent goals potential there. A front four you could see in the top four, provided Lamela's encouraging preseason form continues, and Depay was rotated effectively you'd think. Except I would have thought that rotation would have been with Chadli tbh but not now it seems

So it's now looking like Chadli could be replaced with Depay here.

Just taking that potential team and breaking it down a bit:

Lloris
Walker Mussachio Vertonghen Davies

The defence looks good. Not "top drawer" imv but not far off. Potentially a top four defence.

Schneiderlin Paulinho

Well... Needs someone more creative than Paulinho there but pretty good especially if we had Schneiderlin there. I'd prob still go for Dembele alongside a DM but granted either way it isn't the strongest.

Lamela Eriksen Depay
Adebayor

Seemingly decent goals potential there. A front four you could see in the top four, provided Lamela's encouraging preseason form continues, and Depay was rotated effectively you'd think. Except I would have thought that rotation would have been with Chadli tbh but not now it seems

Yeah pretty much agree with everything there. I think schniederlin would add slightly more creativity in terms of his passing ability instead of Sandro/capoue. I honestly don't think we'll end up getting Depay (as much as I think we need him or another left winger) so chadli seemed the most suitable. Yeah I just hope lamela can really kick on this year and have an impact in the league.

Lloris
Walker - Musacchio - Vertonghen - Rose
Dembele - Capoue
Lamela - Eriksen - Lennon
Adebayor​

The situation with Musacchio reminds me of Soldado last year so I'm gonna assume it gets wrapped up in the end. I'm thinking Rose might get another chance to impress at the start of the season, new contract and all. Still, 50/50 who will start, him or Davies. I'm a big fan of Dembele when he's fit and in good form, so my hope is that Pochettino will be able to make him shine again. Should Schneiderlin come in it will change things, but I'm not so optimistic about that deal. Our LW is an issue..but I'll go with Lennon for the time being. Could end up with Eriksen though, and Holtby in the middle. Ade up top for his allround qualities.

--------------------Lloris------------------------
Walker----Vert---------Musacchio---Davies
----------Schnie----------Paulinho-------------
---Lamela---------Holtby------------Eriksen--
-------------------Adebayor----------------------
Leaves us with a pretty solid bench: Vorm, Chiriches, Rose, Dembele, Lennon, Townsend, Soldado
Inagine this with Eriksen in the middle and Memphis at LW

X5aqy.gif

Back
Top Bottom