Young Spurs Fans?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Im 25, and have only been able to afford regular home & away attendance for the last 2 -3 years.

Comletely agree with everything Bainzey says.

Although I would gues the majority in Block J for Maribor were around my age, give or take a few years.

Im 25, and have only been able to afford regular home & away attendance for the last 2 -3 years.

Comletely agree with everything Bainzey says.

Although I would gues the majority in Block J for Maribor were around my age, give or take a few years.

Thanks Ron,

Yeah, I mean it's difficult for us to afford it, I live on a bit under £100 a week, travel and ticket included for liverpool has cost me £100 already. I have phone contracts, house bills and food to buy, like any other person, yet I can't generate an income due to my studies.

I hope this #1882 event next Thursday proves me wrong, but I know a few spurs fans outside of football and i've been to 1 or 2 games with them, they can rarely afford it. One of my mates goes with me to every single game I go to, so that's lucky, but then again his pockets are far deeper than mine. If there were more young people, we could present it to the club as an alternative. I mean, the youth fans are the clubs future fans. Assuming it wants to expand like it says, surely it need to keep fans that will more than likely be having kids in the next 10 years, keen and loyal to the club.

Just my opinion on the matter...

A student discount does seem sensible. Almost everywhere has student discount nowadays. Problem is, from the clubs point of the view, why offer discounted tickets to youths when they could just sell at full price to an older fan.

A student discount does seem sensible. Almost everywhere has student discount nowadays. Problem is, from the clubs point of the view, why offer discounted tickets to youths when they could just sell at full price to an older fan.

Extremely valid point, one which I though about and attempted to justify previously, but I didn't make it clear I think.

Basically, if they make discounts for other age ranges which are (in society) less able to be financially well-off, then why shouldn't they for those who are under 25 and in full time education? Considering I struggle to pay my bills and live, yet I still buy tickets, it shows that if I did have the finances I would go more frequently and more than likely buy more of the lucrative spurs shop goodies.

I think if we claim to be a club that is looking for long term success then we need to take into account the fact that as we expand our stadium size, we need to build up our fan base to pay off the debt that comes with a new stadium and to fill our stadium. Myself, like many others, do not want to see '(place awful high street chain or nouveau riche ponzi scheme brand name here) Arena' or whatever they decide to call the stadium, half filled, no atmosphere and a problem with attracting new fans.

It's simple, football is an addiction, if you get the young people hooked by giving them perks, they will give back to the club in other forms as they form a relationship with the club.

I for one have invited friends who don't particularly support one club or are foreign and don't have a club in the UK, to Spurs games and they have in turn become fans, purchased shirts, tickets etc.

We haven't had any big success in my lifetime, granted, but success doesn't always buy fans. If you look back to your first Spurs game you attended, you remember how it felt and how since, you have been again and again and again to fuel the adrenaline rush and the sense euphoria and elation that it gives you.

I hope that DL:levystare: realises this!!

Because if the average age of your fan is 60+ then you face a time in the not so distant future where they all begin to die at once.........that's not particularly good news if you are just about to increase your capacity by a third

sadly, football may unwittingly have already sown the seeds of its own demise. like the banks, longer-term sustainability sacrificed for short-term greed.

many of those 17-year-olds chanters in the shelf in the 80s, are now middle-aged moaners in the paxton. but once the moans turn to croaks, what then?

Because if the average age of your fan is 60+ then you face a time in the not so distant future where they all begin to die at once.........that's not particularly good news if you are just about to increase your capacity by a third

Extremely valid point, one which I though about and attempted to justify previously, but I didn't make it clear I think.

Basically, if they make discounts for other age ranges which are (in society) less able to be financially well-off, then why shouldn't they for those who are under 25 and in full time education? Considering I struggle to pay my bills and live, yet I still buy tickets, it shows that if I did have the finances I would go more frequently and more than likely buy more of the lucrative spurs shop goodies.

I think if we claim to be a club that is looking for long term success then we need to take into account the fact that as we expand our stadium size, we need to build up our fan base to pay off the debt that comes with a new stadium and to fill our stadium. Myself, like many others, do not want to see '(place awful high street chain or nouveau riche ponzi scheme brand name here) Arena' or whatever they decide to call the stadium, half filled, no atmosphere and a problem with attracting new fans.

It's simple, football is an addiction, if you get the young people hooked by giving them perks, they will give back to the club in other forms as they form a relationship with the club.

I for one have invited friends who don't particularly support one club or are foreign and don't have a club in the UK, to Spurs games and they have in turn become fans, purchased shirts, tickets etc.

We haven't had any big success in my lifetime, granted, but success doesn't always buy fans. If you look back to your first Spurs game you attended, you remember how it felt and how since, you have been again and again and again to fuel the adrenaline rush and the sense euphoria and elation that it gives you.

I hope that DL:levystare: realises this!!

I agree with your point!

When the club does eventually build this new ground I hope empty seats aren't viewed as a problem but as an opportunity..........if no one wants to pay £20 to watch us play Maribor in the Uefa cup don't let seats go empty, give them away for free to local schools.

What's the worst thing that can happen, one or two of them decide they actually quite enjoy it and end up spending the admission x 1,000 over the course of their lives.

When the club does eventually build this new ground I hope empty seats aren't viewed as a problem but as an opportunity..........if no one wants to pay £20 to watch us play Maribor in the Uefa cup don't let seats go empty, give them away for free to local schools.

What's the worst thing that can happen, one or two of them decide they actually quite enjoy it and end up spending the admission x 1,000 over the course of their lives.

I agree. What stumps me about Championship and lower league football is clubs not lowering ticket prices when there are masses of empty seats. The (arguably worst football ground in the country) Ricoh Arena comes to mind. Ridiculously depressing seeing grounds like that empty and fans flocking to their nearest pub to watch Woolwich, Man Utd or Liverpool, all over a hundred miles away.

If we end up getting empty seats in the Aurasmarena or whatever it's going to be called, the club should learn the lesson and slash the ticket prices, or even give them away for free to younglings as you said. The football isn't going to improve with no atmosphere.

I agree. What stumps me about Championship and lower league football is clubs not lowering ticket prices when there are masses of empty seats. The (arguably worst football ground in the country) Ricoh Arena comes to mind. Ridiculously depressing seeing grounds like that empty and fans flocking to their nearest pub to watch Woolwich, Man Utd or Liverpool, all over a hundred miles away.

If we end up getting empty seats in the Aurasmarena or whatever it's going to be called, the club should learn the lesson and slash the ticket prices, or even give them away for free to younglings as you said. The football isn't going to improve with no atmosphere.

The thing is it's in every clubs interests to play in front of full crowds, the PL makes far more from foreign TV deals than it does from gate receipts.......to get people in China to watch matches you have to convince them that what they are watching is something special - what's special about watching Wigan play Fulham in front of 3/4 empty stadium. If the game isn't important enough for people who lives across the road from the ground to bother going then how can you sell that as a prestige event to the foreign TV audience?.....

The thing is it's in every clubs interests to play in front of full crowds, the PL makes far more from foreign TV deals than it does from gate receipts.......to get people in China to watch matches you have to convince them that what they are watching is something special - what's special about watching Wigan play Fulham in front of 3/4 empty stadium. If the game isn't important enough for people who lives across the road from the ground to bother going then how can you sell that as a prestige event to the foreign TV audience?.....

Extremely valid point - We need to attract these foreign markets more at Tottenham.

Another great point although I believe we could, most of the time, fill the new stadium if ticket prices are lowered across the board and incentives for 'couch' fans.

Keep the faith boys. Not long to wait for the new stadium. Why does this matter? It means that with the right pressure applied to Tottenham you can lobby the club for an area, maybe this happens to be "safe seating", who knows. Or the prices they charge for the "kop end" (need to find our own name for that). The main point here is Tottenham will not fill a 60k seater stadium for non-category A games. To avoid it resembling the Emerates they will need to fill it and therefore reduce ticket prices.

Keep on doing what you are doing you are building a great movement in terms of the podcast and 1882. You are building great links with the club. Today you are singing for the shirt but if you think about it if you keep up your vocal passions you are also singing for your cheap seat!!!

sadly, football may unwittingly have already sewn the seeds of its own demise. like the banks, longer-term sustainability sacrificed for short-term greed.

many of those 17-year-olds chanters in the shelf in the 80s, are now middle-aged moaners in the paxton. but once the moans turn to croaks, what then?

Agree, though as a proud member of the first group.. I'm not quite there on the second group!

I certainly ain't moaning yet pal, and as for croaking... I'm putting my 40 years experience to good use vocally! See you all in THE PARK LANE END on the 6th of December!!!!!!

Agree, though as a proud member of the first group.. I'm not quite there on the second group!

I certainly ain't moaning yet pal, and as for croaking... I'm putting my 40 years experience to good use vocally! See you all in THE PARK LANE END on the 6th of December!!!!!!

Just seen this thread and read through. Realised after all the in-depth analysis, my expert professional and technical opinion is missing.

I'm 18, and I regularly attend matches at White Hart Lane.

Thanks

Cole

Pretty huge bump on this thread.

Im very interested in this because im in that demographic of a young fan. And I can only disagree that we struggle to attract the younger generation, only because of my personal experience.
I knock about with 10-15 other lads my age (18-25) and we go nearly everywhere away.

We range from full time workers to piss poor uni students but we always seem to make it whether its Basel or Blackpool.

It came out on this forum not too long ago that Woolwich were offering 1000 tickets to fans of a certain age. Time for that to happen at Spurs?

Another point of view from me, is that I fell in love with Tottenham because of its atmosphere, tradition, history...I loved that match day feeling. Now, the paxton is a family stand. But is the younger fan going to "Fall in love" with Spurs sitting in there? Im not too sure.

The above video is what you would remember all your life, how you become a spurs fan. That boy would of loved that. (I remember us chanting to that kid even now, 2 years after...)

Back
Top Bottom