Yorkshire’s Rose is Tottenham’s flower

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Consistent strong performer? Rose? He's been adequate at best.

He is better than he was, but he's still the weakest link in our starting 11 IMO.

I've been reading the same thing regarding Naughton.

If you look close, Kaboul and co have been bombarded from the Flanks. IMO kaboul and Lloris form has papered over their cracks.

It's still open season down our flanks off the ball.

I feel this season there has been an awful lot of backing and praise for Rose. The arrival of Davies has done wonders, and he has been our standout player a couple of times and good on him.
Pre-season, Danny had said the competition would be good for him. I was skeptical, but am happily eating crow now.

Can someone give me an example of the good defensive work from him this season? I still can't see it. I'll give an example: Just because we didn't lose vs the scum does not mean he was great at defending. We let in over 40 crosses past us. That is some next level "Ole!" giving whoever all the time int he world to cross at will.

The TRUE defending has come from our centerbacks and DM's IMO. We are as weak as ever at left back and managers are attacking us there because it's still our weak link.

QPR was the only true great game he has had defensively where he was fearsome and impenetrable IMO.

Disagree - sorry. Positional sense is dreadful, always having to make last ditch tackles, crossing unimpressive, poor support for left sided midfielders. Only game where he wasn't embarrassed was QPR, because there wasn't anyone near him.
Still lots to do to impress for me.

I'm in no way undervaluing the efforts of Vertonghen and Kaboul and definitely not Lloris i just think that given a cohesive team to function in he could prove to be a very good player for us, I think the amount of crosses we've coincided don't accurately show how well the full backs have preformed, I think, like you say they try to bombarded us with so many that some are going to get by.

Ultimately I don't think there are that many world class full backs and definitely not left backs in Europe right now, so to undervalue rose would be criminal.

Cheers for the feedback though lads !

Gibbs meltdown thread, I bet you had a heart attack gibbsy when you read this?

Yeh rose has been a lot better than last season, maybe having competition for the spot helped.

Can someone give me an example of the good defensive work from him this season? I still can't see it. I'll give an example: Just because we didn't lose vs the scum does not mean he was great at defending. We let in over 40 crosses past us. That is some next level "Ole!" giving whoever all the time int he world to cross at will.

The TRUE defending has come from our centerbacks and DM's IMO. We are as weak as ever at left back and managers are attacking us there because it's still our weak link.

QPR was the only true great game he has had defensively where he was fearsome and impenetrable IMO.
How many examples of his good defensive work do you want? You name Woolwich as a game where he didn't play well, yet in that game he had the joint most tackles of every single player on the pitch, was only behind Kaboul and Capoue in terms of interceptions, won the joint most aerial duals in the team and was third only two our 2 center backs with number of clearances. That's brilliant for a full back and he wasn't even on for the full 90 minutes! If he had been who knows, he might have even been top of those stat lists.

Also I question if you've ever even played/watched football if you think it's fair to judge a fullback on the number of crosses the other team puts into the box. Woolwich were playing around the edge of the box and as a result had many options in wide positions. Rose's job is to stop/block crosses from behind the defensive line which he did very well, stopping crosses in front of him is the responsibility of the midfielders and this is the case in 99% teams out there. That stat also seems inflated and I strongly suspect that it includes corners and/or all attempted crosses.

How many examples of his good defensive work do you want? You name Woolwich as a game where he didn't play well, yet in that game he had the joint most tackles of every single player on the pitch, was only behind Kaboul and Capoue in terms of interceptions, won the joint most aerial duals in the team and was third only two our 2 center backs with number of clearances. T

He almost always bosses that stat: Because managers are attacking our weak areas (the flanks). Hence more than 40 crosses being waved into our box.

You HAVE to admit, if it wasn't for Kabouls form in that game and our Keeper, that draw could have been a horror show.

He almost always bosses that stat: Because managers are attacking our weak areas. Hence more than 40 crosses being waved into our box.

You HAVE to admit, if it wasn't for Kabouls form in that game and our Keeper, that draw could have been a horror show.
We were defending on our own box. If any of our defenders had been out of form it would have been a horror show, a defense is a unit and taking one cog out of course breaks it.

Also I question if you've ever even played/watched football if you think it's fair to judge a fullback on the number of crosses the other team puts into the box. Woolwich were playing around the edge of the box and as a result had many options in wide positions. Rose's job is to stop/block crosses from behind the defensive line which he did very well, stopping crosses in front of him is the responsibility of the midfielders and this is the case in 99% teams out there. That stat also seems inflated and I strongly suspect that it includes corners and/or all attempted crosses.

Because Wenger, Livepool etc attack our weak spots. Even idiots like Fat Sam knows where to break on us.

Because Wenger, Livepool etc attack our weak spots. Even idiots like Fat Sam knows where to break on us.
What our center backs? If they were looking to attack our fullbacks they'd of sat back and counter attacked out wide, funnily enough they didn't. Sitting around our box suggests they thought they'd be able to put the ball in so many times that our center backs would make mistakes and they'd get a break or two (they did get a lucky one). Though my guess would be there game plan was modified to fit around ours of sitting deep which they may or may not have expected.

What our center backs? If they were looking to attack our fullbacks they'd of sat back and counter attacked out wide, funnily enough they didn't. Sitting around our box suggests they thought they'd be able to put the ball in so many times that our center backs would make mistakes and they'd get a break or two (they did get a lucky one). Though my guess would be there game plan was modified to fit around ours of sitting deep which they may or may not have expected.

I'm sorry but if you haven't spotted that managers are attacking our flanks, then we might as well just not discuss it. It's been a huge feature of our losses under 3 managers be it on the break or pressed like the scum.

Almost 50 crosses allowed? In one game vs the scum? What has to happen for you to realize that the attacking traffic is being waved through by Rose or Naughton etc standing off or not even being in position?

Managers attack Eriksen, Lennon, Lamela, Naughton or Rose on the wings. For obvious reasons.

Easy access to our box.

Back
Top Bottom