'Yid'

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
I should add that I interviewed a Jewish person a month or so ago. He was complaining about stuff and said "I was queuing in the Post Office next a woman with 'Yid Army' tattooed on her arm. What is the world coming to? It's disgusting and offensive."

I explained the Spurs link, which he'd never heard of before. He had been very offended and said, "Well she wasn't Jewish. She was a fat Chav."

THAT struck it home to me. If non-Spurs fans hear or see it and they don't understand its context, then it is not a positive use of the word and we ought to be mindful of that.

How narrow minded of that guy, fat chav's can't be jewish?

Burko said:
Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
I should add that I interviewed a Jewish person a month or so ago. He was complaining about stuff and said "I was queuing in the Post Office next a woman with 'Yid Army' tattooed on her arm. What is the world coming to? It's disgusting and offensive."

I explained the Spurs link, which he'd never heard of before. He had been very offended and said, "Well she wasn't Jewish. She was a fat Chav."

THAT struck it home to me. If non-Spurs fans hear or see it and they don't understand its context, then it is not a positive use of the word and we ought to be mindful of that.

How narrow minded of that guy, fat chav's can't be jewish?
:defoe2:

jermaine defoe.... he's a yido...

1azd3.jpg

Being a non-english fan, for the longest time I failed to realize the original meaning of the word. For years I knew Yid only as a term referring to Tottenham fans, and only recently came to realize its origins. I read quite a lot about it and I think that in a way it's a thing of beauty the way fans re-appropriated the word. I can only imagine the opponent's fans reactions when they did it the first time. On the other hand, out of context it can lead to some very uncomfortable situations, because there are a lot of people who don't give a shit about football and don't know the link between the word and Tottenham fans. It's a very grey area, I guess.

I am proud of my Jewish heritage, i am proud of my spurs heritage and i am proud to call myself a Yid

i was talking to Ivor Baddiel (davids brother and a family friend) a few months ago and i could see his point of view over this. if i went to a chelsea spurs game and had to sit with their 'fans' and had to listen to the abusive shit they came out with I would want to do something about it too. the point i made to him was i thought they where trying to fight the problem from the wrong side. sort out the racist cunts at your own club first and then we can try and sort out the negative aspects of the word being used at spurs.

SpursMeerkat said:
I am proud of my Jewish heritage, i am proud of my spurs heritage and i am proud to call myself a Yid

i was talking to Ivor Baddiel (davids brother and a family friend) a few months ago and i could see his point of view over this. if i went to a chelsea spurs game and had to sit with their 'fans' and had to listen to the abusive shit they came out with I would want to do something about it too. the point i made to him was i thought they where trying to fight the problem from the wrong side. sort out the racist cunts at your own club first and then we can try and sort out the negative aspects of the word being used at spurs.

What did the funnier of the Baddiel brothers have to say about that?
While I said earlier that the Yid songs and chants don't offend me, having the word Yid tattooed does present more of a moral dilemma, in that within the last 70 years Jews were being forcibly tattooed

We only adopted the name Yids because the scum made us adopt it. I remember being at school and Woolwich were the bubble ups or wops (or worse). It meant Greek.

Imagine calling the scum that now?

It is offensive because some Jewish people find it offensive. We don't mean offence by it but we must remember that it was used as a form of abuse at us first.

I am proud of our Jewish heritage.

Glad that bloody flag has gone though.

dwallm said:
having the word Yid tattooed does present more of a moral dilemma, in that within the last 70 years Jews were being forcibly tattooed

agree with that.

Ivor was telling me about when he was at a chelsea spurs game and someone a few rows in front of him started shouting "fuck the yids fuck the yids" and then " fuck the jews" and when he told him to pipe down the guy infront started on him. all this time the stewards did nothing to stop any of it. I can really see his point of view and if i was behind that twat at chelsea i dont know what i would have done but i still think the problem of racism should be tackled at clubs like chelsea and west ham first.

Ramsingh said:
I know some jews, they hate the word Yid with a passion.

I AM a Jew, and i couldn't give a fuck what 'Yid' means... if some fucking Chelsea/ArseAnal Neanderthals wanna throw it at us as some kind of insult, let them... fuck 'em... sticks and stones and all that...
they will be forever scum, and accountable to what/whoever lies beyond this life for their actions and vitriolic racist bile... that's none of my concern...

What I do know, is that Tottenham fans have taken a word, that was once deemed an insult, and chewed it up, spat it out and regurgitated it to a point where it is now a BADGE OF HONOUR!
Fuck any cunt who dare come near us with their racist bile... I hope they NEVER HAVE TO SUFFER THE FEAR AND PAIN of those who had no choice but to die in the gas chambers... but fuck them. 'cos any football fan who chooses to mock an entire generation of HUMAN BEINGS with their terrace hissing... just banter is it? Fuck off and die you anti-semitic scum... the truth will out, and karma will do it's job!

David baddeil is simply in his own world of torment because the team he chooses to support, and the religion he belongs to, are at starkly opposite ends of the 'taste' spectrum!

I'm sure he's very proud to be wearing the very same Chelsea shirt as those who choose to hiss and 'Seig-heil' at the nearest YID they see... shame on them and their fucking disgusting ways... hopefully, Abramovitch, being the good Jew he is, has decided enough is enough, and will now take those racist scum down to the level they deserve... then he'll leave that poxy disgusting cunt of a club, and come and do some good in N17 instead!

On the flip side... I couldn't be more proud of SPURS!

I don't consider myself a Jew but my mother's side of the family is Jewish and I grew up around the traditions, et al. I was always taught that Yid was an offensive word. So when I first started going to WHL it made me a little uncomforatble. But the general consensus amongst Spurs supporting Jews is that it does not offend. So I suppose the argument has to be, is it bad if it offends even one personb, or is teh majority opinion what matters?

Smoked Salmon said:
I don't consider myself a Jew but my mother's side of the family is Jewish and I grew up around the traditions, et al. I was always taught that Yid was an offensive word. So when I first started going to WHL it made me a little uncomforatble. But the general consensus amongst Spurs supporting Jews is that it does not offend. So I suppose the argument has to be, is it bad if it offends even one personb, or is teh majority opinion what matters?

Oh you're Jewish alright!! be proud of your heritage!!

YID ARMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

1882 said:
Smoked Salmon said:

Oh you're Jewish alright!! be proud of your heritage!!

YID ARMYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
I am not ashamed of it, but being as the jewish side always had issue with the fact that it was a marriage to a gentile and the fact that I am, myself, not religious (am am agnostic) I just don't feel all that close to it - save for maybe the foods I grew up eating which I really enjoyed (save for chulent - which is evil).

1882 said:
What I do know, is that Tottenham fans have taken a word, that was once deemed an insult, and chewed it up, spat it out and regurgitated it to a point where it is now a BADGE OF HONOUR!
Fuck any cunt who dare come near us with their racist bile... I hope they NEVER HAVE TO SUFFER THE FEAR AND PAIN of those who had no choice but to die in the gas chambers... but fuck them. 'cos any football fan who chooses to mock an entire generation of HUMAN BEINGS with their terrace hissing... just banter is it? Fuck off and die you anti-semitic scum... the truth will out, and karma will do it's job!

YES! While working as a school counselor in Atlanta, I spoke to my department head about THFC's use of the word Yid. She is a middle-aged Jewish woman from upstate New York and, in fact, the majority of the women on staff at that school are also Jewish. The department head's daughter played American soccer at the university level but she wasn't really acquainted with English football.

I showed her a picture of the Jermain Defoe t-shirt that says YIDDO where the O is replaced with the Star of David. I asked her if she found it offensive. She laughed and asked what it was all about. After I explained the context and sentiment of Spurs use of the word, she thought it was fantastic and encouraged me to buy the shirt.

She found it interesting that the club embraced the Jewish community and used the word as a badge of honor. Her exact sentiments were similar to 1882's - that the Jewish people have endured far too much to let something like that bother them. I also asked if she found it ironic that the player pictured on the shirt was not Jewish and she said not at all - that it was clearly meant to be a compliment and a source of pride.

Smoked Salmon said:
this is the crux of the whole argument really.

In American sports many teams who used words like "Redmen" (in reference to Native Americans) as their mascot actually changed the terms altogether during the 90's and renamed their teams. For instance, St. John's university in NYC used to be the St. John's Redmen and now they are called the St. John's Red Storm.

The NBA's Washington Wizards had iconic red, white and blue uniforms and were called the Washington Bullets. Many found the use of the word 'bullets' in relation to our national capital to be an unnecessarily violent and inappropriate reference. Far too PC in my opinion. If that's the case my old high school in Indianapolis - the Warren Central Warriors should change its name as well.

Interestingly, however, the Washington Redskins of the NFL did NOT change their name and obtained special permission from the leaders of various American Indian Nations to continue using the moniker. I suspect there was some sort of payment that changed hands in that instance because the Redskins are one of the most valuable sports franchises in the world and to change their name would have seriously damaged the brand.

Back
Top Bottom