Yid no more

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gotta say, the most obvious argument for NOT singing the Wenger song is he's most probably NOT a paedophile!
It's offensive whichever way you look at it... Unless he is of course, in which case the fucking dirty nonce deserves all he gets!!!!!!

I agree and don't sing any of those Wenger songs myself any more. Used to think it was funny when those songs first came about and I was 13 years old. But I was just using it as an example here.

I agree and don't sing any of those Wenger songs myself any more. Used to think it was funny when those songs first came about and I was 13 years old. But I was just using it as an example here.

Fair enough... Coulda been worse, you might have cited the reason for not singing Wenger songs was in case there where any Spurs supporting paedophiles who wished to remain anonymous!

Whilst I'm not going to stop singing yid, this is the best argument I've seen against it. I put down my reasons for liking the term earlier in this thread. If a majority of Jewish Spurs thought the same as you, I would stop singing it. Perhaps that's not good enough and even a minority feeling this way puts me morally in the wrong for singing yid. (I am also aware that there has been no study into the opinions of Jewish Spurs so it is based on my own experience that your view is a minority one, rather than scientific fact.)
A mathematical minority does not equal a non-entity, surely? If the minority is still sizable then that is enough I would think.
Then again to stop on the behalf of a minority of Jewish Spurs being offended would open the door for not singing "sign on" to Liverpool fans in order to avoid offending unemployed Spurs fans, or to stop singing anything about Wenger being a pedophile because there are undoubtedly people who have been abused in a football crowd and it may make them feel uncomfortable, and so on.
Neither or those are racial. The Paedo think is clearly not based in reality, and I don't see how a dole cue jibe is a racial slur.

Although you could perhaps counter that your level of discomfort is higher than these people, it is an impossible thing to measure.
The fact that it is racially based is possible to measure, no? What if, ten years from now, "nigger" becomes more socially acceptable? Would it cease to be a racial slur if a majority young blacks agreed that they didn't mind it?

Fair enough... Coulda been worse, you might have cited the reason for not singing Wenger songs was in case there where any Spurs supporting paedophiles who wished to remain anonymous!
Meh, I don't care if something hurts Wenger's feelings or not. Calling him that, however, trivialises child abuse imo since everyone "knows" we don't actually "mean" it. I'm not going to pretend I've never done it, but I've tried to avoid it.

The other reason I don't like it is purely aesthetic: it's not witty or inventive at all. That's why I love the Woolwich filter so much—it's hilariously inventive. If it turned every incident of "Аrsenal" into "ArseANАL" or something like that, it wouldn't be anywhere near as amusing.

Meh, I don't care if something hurts Wenger's feelings or not. Calling him that, however, trivialises child abuse imo since everyone "knows" we don't actually "mean" it.
That's why I love the Woolwich filter so much—it's hilariously inventive. If it turned every incident of "Аrsenal" into "ArseANАL" or something like that, it wouldn't be anywhere near as amusing.

Oh no... That's what I call them!!!!
I'm no better than a bad, '70s, Working Men's Club comic!!!!
Oh the shame.....

A mathematical minority does not equal a non-entity, surely? If the minority is still sizable then that is enough I would think.
Neither or those are racial. The Paedo think is clearly not based in reality, and I don't see how a dole cue jibe is a racial slur.

The fact that it is racially based is possible to measure, no? What if, ten years from now, "nigger" becomes more socially acceptable? Would it cease to be a racial slur if a majority young blacks agreed that they didn't mind it?

1. You're right, a sizable minority, depending how sizable, probably warrants us stopping the chant. I'll admit that I don't want to do that, partly for the reasons you wrote about, though I do also have other reasons (see my earlier post). I would welcome a study into the opinions of Jewish Spurs fans, done by the club, so we can see for sure how many people feel this way.
2. Neither of those things are racial. But why fetishize race & sexuality over other things that cause offence or discomfort? Perhaps this is easy for me to say as a white English atheist heterosexual. This is not to diminish racism or homophobia, but the case of Spurs fans singing yid is IMO not a case of racism, it's a more complex issue.
3. I'd say that if a majority of blacks decided they didn't mind nigger and it wasn't being used against them in a racist way then yes it would cease being a racial slur.

og-meme-generator-shake-your-dicks-this-pissing-contest-is-over-e62bcd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom