"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
I still think its all about context as with many other words.

also the club unfortunately are in a no win situation with it. If they say yes go on fans we will back you up on using the word it opens them up to all sorts...someone uses foul and abusive language gets banned they could use the allowance of the Y word as some form of defence, also where would it leave it with the FA etc?

If they ban it they will have spurs fans up in arms and we will sing it anyway

Was just gonna post this. Reading it right now, seems to be written with an American audience in mind, so I'm very interested to read the comments. I can imagine Americans will be vehemently against it's use without really understanding the history behind it.

I'm an American myself and I can guarantee you every "politically correct" over asshole is completely shocked when reading this. People won't understand the history at all and will just instantly condemn it. I'm still shocked you can get arrested for chanting this. You can drop any racial slur over here you want as long as you aren't inciting a fight or riot. But then again American history is bathed in racism.

I'm an American myself and I can guarantee you every "politically correct" over asshole is completely shocked when reading this. People won't understand the history at all and will just instantly condemn it. I'm still shocked you can get arrested for chanting this. You can drop any racial slur over here you want as long as you aren't inciting a fight or riot. But then again American history is bathed in racism.

It's weird...you're absolutely right that you say whatever you want without getting arrested, but can you imagine what would happen if a group of fans unfurled a Nazi flag at ANY sporting event in the US? They would probably be murdered. I don't think I'm exagerating either.

"What Dani Alves did was so amazing," he told BBC Trending. "He didn't stoop to that racist idiot's level and instead he made a joke out of the situation . The racist plan backfired in a major way and now the idiot created a worldwide movement against racism."
Monkey noises and throwing bananas are used the world over as a racist gesture at football matches, with mixed race Dani Alves himself previously victimised.
By turning the banana from a symbol of racism to a symbol of defiance, will the current trend make a difference? Tom Conn, a Spanish football fan, echoed many others on social media when he tweeted that "in one single action, Dani Alves did more to fight racism than any UEFA/FIFA 'Say No to Racism' has ever done".

Hang on... hang on... where have I heard that 'mantra' before??
...and how come when Barcelona's Danni Alves and Neymar turn around a vile, sickening gesture into act of defiance it's lauded as 'amazing', yet when we do pretty much the same thing (eating the banana/embracing the word Yid,.. It's still the same concept, anyway) three of our fans are hauled up before the Courts?? Hmmmm...

Last edited:
Using the word ‘Yid’ at White Hart Lane will no longer be an arrestable offence, the The Metropolitan Police has announced.
The Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Trust (THST) asked the police for their position on the controversial term in a police and safety forum meeting last Monday.
They were told anti-semitic holocaust songs directed at Spurs fans, which are an offence, are different from chants sung by Spurs fans including the Y-word, which are not.

BUT

Constable Steve Payne, Football Intelligence Officer for the Met, said fans would still be arrested for using the Y-word if a complaint was made against them.
The FA issued guidelines for supporters’ behaviour and said the use of the word was “derogatory and offensive” and could amount to a criminal offence, even if it was being sung by supporters of Tottenham, who traditionally drew a large following from the Jewish community.

Clear as mud then.............

BUT

Constable Steve Payne, Football Intelligence Officer for the Met, said fans would still be arrested for using the Y-word if a complaint was made against them.
The FA issued guidelines for supporters’ behaviour and said the use of the word was “derogatory and offensive” and could amount to a criminal offence, even if it was being sung by supporters of Tottenham, who traditionally drew a large following from the Jewish community.

Clear as mud then.............
It is if you know the Public Order Act. The whole concept of it is that the offence arises when the chant is used within the proximity of someone who may be offended.

Basically if you read between the lines the police aren't going to use resources on it, but the provision to charge and prosecute under the act remains. This is a point I made when the recent prosecutions were withdraw. There has been no commentary from the courts and the legislation hasn't change so, conceivably, should the police have a change of heart prosecutions could indeed happen in the future.

I think the police have to be very careful not to condone the use of the word, even if they don't take action over it since the club's recent survey made it clear that a sizeable chunk of Jewish fans and also some non-Jewish fans still find it offensive.

Having their name splashed all over the media.. The ones who were arrested were named and shamed. Not nice for them, especially as it is now not an offence.
Save that, as I said in my post, it quite possibly is.

The decision of the police not to arrest and investigate doesn't mean something ceases to be an offence under the law. This is what I have tried to explain on here many times. People just don't seem to grasp it. The police do not get to decide what is and is not an offence. That is primarily Parliament and thereafter the courts. The police only can decide what to direct their resources to and can only take advice from lawyers and/or the CPS on the strength of cases for prosecution.

Back
Top Bottom