Would you still sign Berahino?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you pay for Saido (if anything)?

• Total voters
Definitely. So many of the PL games come down to an outright scrap in the middle of the pitch, that's why Dembele and Dier have become virtually indispensable.

Wanyama would offer cover for both of them and also for the centre backs, as Dier would be able to be moved back.
I think we have enough centre mids as it is, personally. Bentaleb and Mason already have a fight on their hands to get back in the starting XI, as well as Carroll now pushing for a spot.

I don't see Southampton doing business with us personally. Even less likely than West Brom!!

Only one side of the story has played out, at Spurs we NEVER talk about transfers, which I like, but this stance can be manipulated by the press as it is in this case. The only noise is coming from Pulis and Peace, not a peep from the player.

Imagine how that must feel when you are stuck in a club that even their own fans openly admit play shit defensive Pulis ruby football and knowing that a grand old team famed for the beautiful game, with a rich tradition of glory, that plays every year in Europe, has a history of nurturing some of the Worlds best forwards, a club that right now is being hyped as a potential title contender and has a Manager who is responsible for playing, developing English footballers who go on to get their England call ups is after you. This manager has said that "it's like falling in love" when finding the right profiled striker, imagine how he feels knowing that our club, our manger wants you. But instead you are stuck in hell in the fucking midlands, full of people speaking with blocked noises, with the only ambition in life is to beat The Villa and stay in the league.

I think he is a talented player, he has formed a lethal partnership with Kane in England U21's, knows a lot of the team already, he is English, knows the league and shown when given the chance he has made a name for himself. Poch has made huge efforts to speak of Character is as important as skill/ability and our player search includes character assessment, if Poch wants him that's good enough for me. As for the price of a player does anyone really know anymore???

Definitely. So many of the PL games come down to an outright scrap in the middle of the pitch, that's why Dembele and Dier have become virtually indispensable.

Wanyama would offer cover for both of them and also for the centre backs, as Dier would be able to be moved back.

Have we forgotten about Benteleb and to some extent, Mason? If I recall correctly too, Carroll was half way decent in that holding midfielder position too.

I think we have enough centre mids as it is, personally. Bentaleb and Mason already have a fight on their hands to get back in the starting XI, as well as Carroll now pushing for a spot.

I don't see Southampton doing business with us personally. Even less likely than West Brom!!

Carroll should really only be considered as cover for the no. 10 / Eriksen role imo.

Bentaleb and Mason both seem to struggle to make an impact from the bench, neither seems to be in favour. Bentaleb in particular.

If Poch wants him, then Poch should get his wish. Personally I'm not sure about his temperament or guts for the cause. Whether that be west brom or Spurs. But I wouldn't hesitate in backing Poch's judgment. As for the fee? He's nowhere near a £25 million player. £8 million plus Townsend if the rumours are true that WBA are interested in him sounds about fair.

Agree, but we were obviously encouraged to try to make it happen by someone in the summer, so....
Ooo. If this is correct, then he turned down a new contract in September, and his current deal (which I'm sure has a much lower wage than we'd be offering) only has 18 months left on it.

Victor Wanyama - player profile - Transfermarkt

Probably the last chance for Southamton to get anywhere near full price for him.
If Woolwich were smart, they'd be on it like a tramp on chips.

But this is Woolwich in January, after all.

He was refused a move, simple as that. Imagine being stuck in a job you weren't enjoying when you could have potentially moved to a better looking job in the summer, earned a lot more money and had a lot more success? and was then told you simply ain't moving and are going to stay somewhere you don't want to be?

As far as I am aware, he hasn't come out and refused to play? Correct me if I am wrong though. He has still made himself available, going by his twitter and other social media he is still working very hard and keeping himself fit so if we do end up signing him he won't be out of shape of unfit and he should be ready to slot right in.

I don't think he's a bad egg. I think it's all a myth the whole "bad attitude" thing - sure what he said on twitter was perhaps unprofessional but I don't think he has a bad attitude. It's not got to the stage where Pulis has headbutted him whilst naked in the showers.

I think he'd be a welcome signing. He is quick, a very good finisher, can play up top on his own and can also play outwide. Also knows players at the club from playing in the U21s so would be a welcome fit in my opinion.
Schneiderlin did the same didn't he, yet everyone still wanted him. Wanayama even did the same.

Why have they kept him if they don't play him? They signed more forwards in the window and didn't let him go. Yet they don't pick him?
Who knows how he is. I'm sure Harry Kane knows a bit about him don't you?
Pulls is a cunt. Making remarks like he's lucky to be in the squad and then playing them down when asked.
Implying he's not a team person in the same breath.
Why not get rid if he's that much of a bad influence or is it just Pulis is a wanker and is purposefully digging him out?
Myself, whoever we get we get. I ain't bothered. In Poch/Mitch/ MacKenzie I trust

Last edited:
Nampalys Mendy, who Ranieri wanted, as DM, CM and couldn't get was deemed a better option than Kante.
They only bought Kante as Ranieri couldn't get him.

Seems to me that poor Berahino (and his agent) is locked in a loosing PR Battle With Peace/Pulis.

The nature of things is that an owner/manager gets to talk publicly about players and that the reverse can only be done underhand through the media and requires some skill to pull off successfully.

Peace managed to paint Levy as the bad guy during the summer with his moaning press releases and showed how much he likes to play the PR-game.

Besides: The manager has a zillion ways of punishing a player, the player has virtually no weapons at his disposal in such a quarrel.

I don't see why we as Spurs-supporters should fall for the WB spin on the Berahino-saga.

The boy would like to join Spurs - we should appreciate that.

A young striker who needs an arm round him, the right guidance and a chance to prove himself? Sign him.

Pochettino has turned some of the players we had given up on into some brilliant players. This time 2 years a go none of us would of dreamt of starting Kane but Poch knew he could make him into something special (granted Sherwood did as well) He'd do the same with Berahino. Poch doesn't take any shit. If you're not a team player or are causing problems then you're gone.. Adebayor, Townsend, Fazio for example.

Berahino needs to be at a club where he is wanted, fans love him and he can let his football do the talking. Spurs are the perfect club for him as he'll get the chance to play under the manager who has got 11 players into the England squad, he's tutored the best current England striker into a goal machine, he's turned a league one midfielder into a worldwide known player and he can do the same for him.

Not all that's happened at WBA is Berahinos fault. If you were held against your own will and were let down by people you thought you could trust then you'd be annoyed.

Personally I think he'd give us that little bit extra to maybe get us into the top 2/3, maybe even a proper title challenge.

Yes but anything more than £15M is crazy, especially considering there are several other (current) prem strikers knocking plenty of goals in who should be available for not much more.

I personally am not sure about him, he may be awesome, but it is far from certain so I'd prefer a different option if it was me spending the cash. But I totally trust Poch and if he wants him then by all means.

No player with a technique even remotely good wants to play for a Pulis side and who can blame them. It's pure thuggery on the pitch and how they don't get called out on it more is beyond me.

I would take him for less than £15m. He's definitely a top talent, has a lot to his game, but there's still deficiencies there. I don't like his twitter outburst, but I can understand why he's pissed at being denied a move away from such a sad team.

We need a striker desperately to have a chance of fulfilling the potential of taking some massive opportunities we have this season.

I think £25m for him was/is nuts but now that may have been tempered by what's happened since August. Also, if Townsend swap + cash is an option then the net cost will be reasonable, likely £6-8m.

Given he was deemed to be a specifically targeted player that we wanted 4months ago then what's so different now? Our selection process is supposed to be so particular that he should still be ticking those boxes. Alderweireld has been excellent, Son has promise but N'Jie hasn't shown anything yet and is now injured so he's not even in the mix for 2015/16 really. In other words, 'real' Poch signings are not really fully acid tested yet but, we can't argue with where we are at the moment, the defence and the goal difference.

Squad depth will be our biggest enemy so address it in January and give ourselves a chance of something special.

For a reasonable fee, included Townsend both parties are happy, £10 million plus Townsend would be ok.

Hard to know everything about what happened at West Brom but I do know prior to this Berahino was a brilliant forward, not just in terms of scoring but also linking, holding the ball up and going past defenders. I can easily see talent wise why we are interested and why Poch seems determined to land him.

Berahino is very much at an impasse with him and West Brom relations breaking down. I hope if we do get Berahino he knuckles down quickly, he has the talent to be a great player and if anyone is going to make it happen it's probably Poch.

At the very minimum we will have a proper cover striker who can also play wide forward on the bench. My first choice signing would still be Embolo but not sure that's realistic.

Back
Top Bottom