World Class

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Personally I would define world class as a player that can walk into any football team on planet earth (or at least two per position), so no we don't IMO. So for example:

GK: Neuer, De Gea
Full Backs: Alba, Lahm, Marcelo, Alaba
Centre Backs: Ramos, Pique, Boateng, Hummels
Centre Mids: Modric, Iniesta, Busquets, Pogba (despite his shaky start)
Wingers: Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Bale
Strikers: Suarez, Aguero
I cant for the world understand why nobody has seen what you did in defence (higlighted it) , WORLD CLASS ? Were you drunk when you wrote that lol

I would also kill Pogba from that list, way too early to be considered world class as he isnt even (yet) the best player on the pitch for France or Man U most of the time, but he can become WC in the future. Boateng however ...

I cant for the world understand why nobody has seen what you did in defence (higlighted it) , WORLD CLASS ? Were you drunk when you wrote that lol

I would also kill Pogba from that list, way too early to be considered world class as he isnt even (yet) the best player on the pitch for France or Man U most of the time, but he can become WC in the future. Boateng however ...
I always thought Boateng being world class was one of the least controversial opinions out there.

Last edited:
Ahhhh the "world class" player debate. Don't you just love it.

We'll follow it up with some Mac Vs PC action shall we??

A ridiculous term that has become the staple for fans attempting to justify a team's credentials. ("Yeah granted, but how many generally world class players have they got?")

My own two pence is that if you wish to use it as a (completely unquantifiable) term for classifying an elite level of player. Then there are probably only 10 maybe 15 players max in the world that fall into that bracket.

AS a term it has no bearing on form or the team that the player is operating within.

So as an extreme example - Messi is a "world class" player who plays with a number of other "world class" players around him and also has off games from time to time (as he does for Argentina fairly regularly).

Equally a player like Vardy, or Kane could be labelled "World Class" in the right team with the right manager and the right tactics for a period of time.

I always thought Boateng being world class was one of the least controversial opinions out there.
He's had a few high profile fantastic games but overall his positioning, interceptions, passing, first touch and concentration levels are not world class at all, not in the league of Nesta, Cannavaro, Hummels, Toby, Baresi, De Boer, Koeman, King and so on.

I honestly believe that a few months with Poch even Ronaldo would look average
Ronaldo is probably the only world class player who wouldn't thrive in Pochettino's system. All of Ronaldo's other managers have adapted their systems to fit the fact that Ronaldo simply doesn't defend. I can't imagine Pochettino allowing that.

Depends which one.

It'd be a success if the Brazilian got his waist down to that description

It's worth noting, however, that Cristiano has regressed significantly in the last 12 months anyway, so he is kinda average by his standards these days

Ok mate. Nice shit car
NmE5N2FjNjgzNzg3MGI2MjhjZDA4OWI3MzE3MjIxMTdxwWy3Mkn4xmOAlrOgVJaeaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMWJkMWVhZWRlZjdkZWFjMjJjZmRlMDA1ZTllODBmZGExYWFkMGIyM2E5YjRkMDQ5MDRhYTRjM2QyODIxNDMzYy5qcGd8fHx8fHw3MDB4NTI1fGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

My son had one of them cars?

Oh DOOOOOO stop it! we get it...
you dislike every manager we've had since (I can only assume) Terry Venables or 'Arry Redknapp... (and I reckon you had a sneaky soft spot for Timmy too... as he was Bri'ish fru'n'fru)
'cos you're one of THOSE fans ain't'cha...?

y'know, the ones that don't like all that 'foreign muck', and probably voted 'Leave' during Brexit...

Am I right... AM I RIGHT???

Ahhhh the "world class" player debate. Don't you just love it.
A ridiculous term that has become the staple for fans attempting to justify a team's credentials.
My own two pence is that if you wish to use it as a (completely unquantifiable) term for classifying an elite level of player. Then there are probably only 10 maybe 15 players max in the world that fall into that bracket.

AS a term it has no bearing on form or the team that the player is operating within.
So as an extreme example - Messi is a "world class" player who plays with a number of other "world class" players around him and also has off games from time to time (as he does for Argentina fairly regularly).

Equally a player like Vardy, or Kane could be labelled "World Class" in the right team with the right manager and the right tactics for a period of time.
Agree...
Along with 'Genius'... World Class has become THE most overused phrase for some of the most bang average players!

For me... WORLD CLASS would be compiling a list (for any given season) of THE WORLD'S best players who would make it into a WORLS CLASS team/squad.

By pure definition, you're only talking about 11-15 or so players... 18-22 at best... That's quite an elite group... and one that you don't just get into by Nutmegging an opponent in the lead up to a throw-in!

World class (and Genius) status has to be earned... CONSISTENTLY over a number of seasons... believe it or not, as many as maybe 5/6/7 or more YEARS... imagine having to wait THAT long for results 'Modern Football/FIFA'16' fans!

Most players being fast tracked into World Class status after one or two seasons is as ridiculous as some fans who tear up their season tickets if we're 1-0 down after 10 minutes in the opening game of the season... (I have no specific match example in mind... but you get the gist.)

Last edited:
Ronaldo is probably the only world class player who wouldn't thrive in Pochettino's system. All of Ronaldo's other managers have adapted their systems to fit the fact that Ronaldo simply doesn't defend. I can't imagine Pochettino allowing that.

There are players any manager would indulge. I am not Ronaldo's biggest fan, but any manager would indulge him (at his peak). Maybe this will change as he regresses to being a very good footballer, but there is no manager on the planet who would pass on Ronaldo at his peak. Even Guardiola would have found a way to get him in the same team with Messi. So even Pochettino would indulge him. Heck, Pochettino would indulge Kane if Kane wasn't defending (or pressing adequately) provided that Kane was providing him with a goal every 1.5 games.

Goalscorers are always indulged.

Back
Top Bottom