Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur 2/12/18

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

And yet military people become ex-military people and return to live in the community and still use isms to refer to or talk about particular cultural groups they have come in contact with during their tours. It happens.
I know. That's why I said it.

You've literally just repeated what I've said, but using different words.

I know. That's why I said it.

You've literally just repeated what I've said, but using different words.
Yeah, seen it heard it ,it;'s the military
Up until 80s(may still go on) best foreign recruit at Sandhurst officers academy was known as "best wog" .It goes back to the original (one version,anyway)meaning of the word in Egypt for people working for the British government and forces,"Working On Government Service" .Though when many of the foreign recruits came from Africa and the West Indies, its not going to go down well outside of military circles. I know it doesn't always sit well with civilians, but military slang,insults and sense of humour really are a law unto themselves

Last edited:
Agree with this mate and good post to acknowledge this.

What perhaps is a tad disappointing is that despite an investigation, that would have corroborated the throwers story (witness statements, CCTV footage etc) it is still being described by some as a racist act by those who claimed it was the moment the story broke. I haven't seen any of those who came on here to point the finger of guilt hold their hands up and say sorry I got it wrong. Or acknowledge even that they were indeed just a bit too hasty to point the finger based on a photograph.

There really isn't anything else to discuss. It wasn't an act of racism. I find it odd that anyone still does given the investigation and the very reasonable posts by those that said it MIGHT not be.
CCTV can't prove that he didn't have a racist thought when he threw the banana skin, neither can the people around him, neither can anybody on here. I'm happy to stand by everything I've said so far.

But you can from a photo posted on the internet.
It's not just a photo, we know that he definitely threw a banana skin and most of us know what the connotations are. That at the very least leaves open the possibility that it was racial even if it was for a split second.

Sorry mate your wrong there

Ok but was there for a few weeks recently and that’s what the locals told me

Including a couple of days in Nicosia and they were quite definite about it

Also met a few Turkish Cypriots who confirmed this

Interestingly it seemed to be the Turkish Cypriots who were more in favour of reunification and aren’t happy with the ‘settlers’ coming in from Turkey getting grants etc

It's not just a photo, we know that he definitely threw a banana skin and most of us know what the connotations are. That at the very least leaves open the possibility that it was racial even if it was for a split second.
It was just a photo. You reacted to a photo and nothing else.

DtljSSPXQAAPLyP.jpg

Not getting involved in this but I honestly don’t think it was racial

If I had been standing there after a few pints and those cunts got in my face like they did after their penalty I would have been tempted to throw something at them whatever was to hand and it wouldn’t have been at any one particular player as they’re all cunts in my mind so race wouldn’t have entered into it

Not that I’m condoning throwing anything on the pitch

More to the point was Dier getting booked for doing the same thing!!
Really pissed me off
:wansum:

Again he threw the banana skin that's what I'm reacting to. The fact that he threw it is not in dispute, photo or no photo.
Yep well done, you are correct that's exactly what he threw and he's being done for it because you can't throw objects onto the pitch. But that's not what you've been banging on about for page after page.

Not getting involved in this but I honestly don’t think it was racial

If I had been standing there after a few pints and those cunts got in my face like they did after their penalty I would have been tempted to throw something at them whatever was to hand and it wouldn’t have been at any one particular player as they’re all cunts in my mind so race wouldn’t have entered into it

Not that I’m condoning throwing anything on the pitch

More to the point was Dier getting booked for doing the same thing!!
Really pissed me off
:wansum:
Would you have thrown a banana skin though?

Yep well done, you are correct that's exactly what he threw and he's being done for it because you can't throw objects onto the pitch. But that's not what you've been banging on about for page after page.
No because of what he threw. Had it been a different object, there wouldn't be this discussion.

Would you have thrown a banana skin though?

I can think of better things true but it would have been a heat of the moment thing and whatever was at hand would have done

I wouldn’t have stood there with the said banana skin in my hand pondering as to whether it would have been considered racist afterwards or not

Seeing something bounce of Bellerin or Mustafi’s head would have sufficed

Horrible cunts

Ok but was there for a few weeks recently and that’s what the locals told me

Including a couple of days in Nicosia and they were quite definite about it

Also met a few Turkish Cypriots who confirmed this

Interestingly it seemed to be the Turkish Cypriots who were more in favour of reunification and aren’t happy with the ‘settlers’ coming in from Turkey getting grants etc

Yeah it's a bit confusing. Most Greek Cypriots I know also want unification but Cyprus was invaded by the Turks in 1974 and split the island with a shitty green line which runs through Nicosia. This isn't so long ago so still raw as many (including my family) were kicked out their houses in the north which now have Turkish or British living there. But this is all politics & I think us younger ones just want to get on and live as one. Anyway that's why we all ended up growing up in Haringey supporting Tottenham lol

Back
Top Bottom