Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

To my eyes his play is nothing at at all like Defoe's. He floats to the wings (just away from the box) more, passes more, is more patient with his shots, and drops in to harrass the midfield more. No one's saying he should be our next #1 striking target, just merely noting the difference in contribution to their respective teams from Soldado and Long in the context of our interest in both.

Links up with Danny Rose through balls neatly as well.

dofoes goal record in the prem shits all over longs...sure in that game he looked different to defoe but i watched him in the championship last year quite abit and trust me his an out and out goal scorer/poacher type....who may i add played really well.. most prem teams wouldnt touch him though in the summer window,abit like vydra because they thought he couldnt make the step up...now i have no doubt he can but dont feel his good enough for us...at 1-2 million pounds yes but for 6 id rather keep defoe...
ive also watched soldado at valencia for 3 seasons and besides longs speed, soldado offers more of everything...when you compare performance to price long may come out on top but soldado will fire soon (fingers crossed)

I apologize, I didn't make my point clear. I'm not saying he's better than Defoe, at all, I just don't think his style is even remotely similar and so I don't believe he's fairly labeled a "shitty Defoe." I agree with you on Soldado. Who wasn't excited by the prospect of La Liga's third highest scorer coming to Spurs? I think we're all just rueing the strangeness of it all, not lambasting the club for choosing Soldado over Long.

I apologize, I didn't make my point clear. I'm not saying he's better than Defoe, at all, I just don't think his style is even remotely similar and so I don't believe he's fairly labeled a "shitty Defoe." I agree with you on Soldado. Who wasn't excited by the prospect of La Liga's third highest scorer coming to Spurs? I think we're all just rueing the strangeness of it all, not lambasting the club for choosing Soldado over Long.

Personally looking forward I don't think we needed a fill in type striker this transfer period as coulthirst has come back, Kane is still around...would have much rathered a new cb or lb...think we need to make a move for benteke in the next period and pray he doesn't fire too much at the World Cup...

Personally looking forward I don't think we needed a fill in type striker this transfer period as coulthirst has come back, Kane is still around...would have much rathered a new cb or lb...think we need to make a move for benteke in the next period and pray he doesn't fire too much at the World Cup...
Ain't the window closed? :paulinhobored:
:troll:

think we need to make a move for benteke in the next period and pray he doesn't fire too much at the World Cup...

Agreed. That fella's style and ambitions are tailor-made for us. But unfortunately I don't see us moving for him unless we get in a top manager like van Gaal and he highlights Benteke as a specific top target.

I don't think anyone's arguing anymore that the club failed to properly analyze specific needs and the attributes of the specific players they brought in to address some of those needs. And I don't think anyone would argue with Long's workmanlike ability he showed throughout that game. You must admit however, that the outcry in the summer of an acquisition of Shane Long over Soldado would have been incredible. I just hope that the club has learned their lesson, and realized that we couldn't give a fuck less about any sort of a PR stunt. We want the players in that are suited to what we need, and with the wins no one will care if they aren't the player that bedazzled everyone in Serie A or La Liga.
HI CS, I was talking about this window and the snobbery shown to Long. Not the first time it's happened with Spurs fans. I didn't want us to sign Long in the summer, I wanted a top class striker, unfortunately we didn't get one, so far. I wanted Long or someone similar in as back up this window.

HI CS, I was talking about this window and the snobbery shown to Long. Not the first time it's happened with Spurs fans. I didn't want us to sign Long in the summer, I wanted a top class striker, unfortunately we didn't get one, so far. I wanted Long or someone similar in as back up this window.

Oh I'm with ya, would have been fun to have seen what he could've done with Ade up top. I think they could've worked pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom