Winter 2013/14 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Lukaku seems fucked for Everton, granted they have a perm-injured Traore as back-up but theres a reason Monaco let him go. Newcastle have lost by far their most influential player in Cabaye. Liverpool and Woolwich haven't strengthened. Man U have bought Mata but not strengthened their where they are woeful, no improvement brought in for (Ferdinand, Smalling, Evra, Cleverly). It's been a reasonable window for us all in all. Holtby gets games, Defoe is still third choice until March, and we've got five BIG players to come back in the next couple of weeks. Think when the dust is settled that could of been a lot worse for us.:harryhmm:
:)avbpray:Danny Rose and Adebayor can't pick up an injury though, ever at all)

Why is it called the 'Discussion Thread' yet all January people have complained about people discussing the transfer window in it?

It's not the "Transfer Window News Thread" or "Only post in here if we've signed someone thread"

(uses excuse to utilise custom made brad-atar)
bbtk.png

He actually is on FM. For some reason his name is Eugene Konoplyanka in the game. No idea why but it's the same player. Man U bought him in my save during the first season. He never played and they ruined him but looked like a solid player when first bought.

Yeah I manage ukraine in my game but wondered if this was the same player (played for Dnipro so I guess so). He isn't that good (in FM), not the best player in Ukraine even.

Well all those football gurus and savants who turned their nose up at Shane Long .....

He looked a damn sight better than Bobby Soldier, and at what, a tenth of the price ....

I don't think anyone's arguing anymore that the club failed to properly analyze specific needs and the attributes of the specific players they brought in to address some of those needs. And I don't think anyone would argue with Long's workmanlike ability he showed throughout that game. You must admit however, that the outcry in the summer of an acquisition of Shane Long over Soldado would have been incredible. I just hope that the club has learned their lesson, and realized that we couldn't give a fuck less about any sort of a PR stunt. We want the players in that are suited to what we need, and with the wins no one will care if they aren't the player that bedazzled everyone in Serie A or La Liga.

Regarding Shane Long- talked to Karl (who's Irish and owns the NYSpurs boozer) at the pub Saturday- an evidently he knows some of the coaches he played for as a youth- his comments were- "the man isn't as physically gifted as some other players, but the boy is a winner." Certain attributes are easily identified, but others can often fly under the radar.

Regarding Shane Long- talked to Karl (who's Irish and owns the NYSpurs boozer) at the pub Saturday- an evidently he knows some of the coaches he played for as a youth- his comments were- "the man isn't as physically gifted as some other players, but the boy is a winner." Certain attributes are easily identified, but others can often fly under the radar.

His work rate certainly impressed me. Whether or not he actually had any contact with the club over the window or saw the tabloids and used it for a bit of motivation we'll never know, but he certainly busted against us regardless. If we choose to after a few homegrowns in the summer window I certainly wouldn't be opposed to us having a look.

His work rate certainly impressed me. Whether or not he actually had any contact with the club over the window or saw the tabloids and used it for a bit of motivation we'll never know, but he certainly busted against us regardless. If we choose to after a few homegrowns in the summer window I certainly wouldn't be opposed to us having a look.
My concern is somehow we habitually seem to overlook these players. I would argue that Bellamy was another missed opportunity a few years back (see Gamsts decline after Bellamy left as evidence). I admit- I know nothing of what goes on behind closed doors, but I do know players that look like they're out to win everything that comes their way.

@ cahspur cahspur @ BrooklynYid BrooklynYid
boys lets stop the wankfest over long...
his first forray in to the premier league was a massive failure and his second with WBA was hit and miss to say the lest...yes his quick and yes his workrate is at time fantastic but he reminds me of shiiter version of defoe...would i have bought him for 1-2 million...probably but im pretty sure hull bought him for a decent amount more..

@ cahspur cahspur @ BrooklynYid BrooklynYid
boys lets stop the wankfest over long...
his first forray in to the premier league was a massive failure and his second with WBA was hit and miss to say the lest...yes his quick and yes his workrate is at time fantastic but he reminds me of shiiter version of defoe...would i have bought him for 1-2 million...probably but im pretty sure hull bought him for a decent amount more..

To my eyes his play is nothing at at all like Defoe's. He floats to the wings (just away from the box) more, passes more, is more patient with his shots, and drops in to harrass the midfield more. No one's saying he should be our next #1 striking target, just merely noting the difference in contribution to their respective teams from Soldado and Long in the context of our interest in both.

To my eyes his play is nothing at at all like Defoe's. He floats to the wings (just away from the box) more, passes more, is more patient with his shots, and drops in to harrass the midfield more. No one's saying he should be our next #1 striking target, just merely noting the difference in contribution to their respective teams from Soldado and Long in the context of our interest in both.

dofoes goal record in the prem shits all over longs...sure in that game he looked different to defoe but i watched him in the championship last year quite abit and trust me his an out and out goal scorer/poacher type....who may i add played really well.. most prem teams wouldnt touch him though in the summer window,abit like vydra because they thought he couldnt make the step up...now i have no doubt he can but dont feel his good enough for us...at 1-2 million pounds yes but for 6 id rather keep defoe...
ive also watched soldado at valencia for 3 seasons and besides longs speed, soldado offers more of everything...when you compare performance to price long may come out on top but soldado will fire soon (fingers crossed)

Last edited:
My unwritten, but telepathically sent, point is- don't tell me there are no decent strikers available in January. Someone like Long would do a job for us this year. Hopefully it's an irrelevant debate and Soldado and Ade stay fit, but I'm concerned.

Back
Top Bottom