Why Marcus Edwards will come good…

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We'll only really know when things play out after the summer but I'm sure it's about the player trusting Poch, his way. I think he would have liked initially Bentalebs attitude, he's a feisty character and tough competitor but sounds as though he took this too far, pushed or maybe even demanded too much from Poch. It's hard to get the balance right. I just think both KWP and Winks have given themselves to Poch, if he says jump they say how high.

The Spurs factor I think is the 2% (or whatever it is, that tiny X-factor) that makes you get to a ball a 10th of a second before the oppo, that enables you to press in the last 10mins of a game when all you want to do is sit down. Probably this doesn't come out in training???

The problem I have with your statement is that Poch's original idea 4 years ago was that everyone would come through his coaching, and no loans,

And if that works, I'm all for it.

Roll forward 4 years and only Winks has come through under Poch (possibly Skipp too but we'll only know when he's a year or two older, and KWP 4 years after his debut has only played a dozen times, so still all to be proved)

Now I think Poch is a bit of a pragmatist and, seeing the limited throughput and what other PL clubs achieve, he said a year or so ago words to the effect that loans weren't all bad.

Whatever way he moves I thin k he has to move away from his original statement - and one way to refine it would be to make better use of pre-season to bring youngsters through. He did more in pore-season 2018 than ever before (maybe due to WC taking away a lot of players) but Spurs still won the pre-season tournament, which I think might have got him thinking 'the kids are alright'. So I'm looking forward to see what happens in pre-season 2019, who goes to it and who plays next season (and with Copa America overlapping taking away CB's Sanchez and Foyth, AM's Lamela and Moura) he has to ise some youth.,

Reason he has to change and bring through some youth is the squad :

Club trained - Kane, Winks, Rose, one vacancy
Other FA Affiliated clubs trained - Dele, Trippier, 2 vacancies

So added to the 17 overseas trained players in the squad (currently 19
for UEFA purposes) that gives us 22 players (including 3 GK's) in the squad, which is only just ok,

And I understand that excludes Skipp and KWP, but either way he either has to bring through more club trained players (as discussed above) or buy them back (probably only Bentaleb and Veljkovic fit that category) or buy home grown players trained by other clubs......high price and not too much choice.....and arguably no better than coming through the Spurs academy if they had experience.......

So Poch's decision how he fills that gap, but its a must to get to a squad size where a few injuries do not undermine the season.

The problem I have with your statement is that Poch's original idea 4 years ago was that everyone would come through his coaching, and no loans,

And if that works, I'm all for it.

Roll forward 4 years and only Winks has come through under Poch (possibly Skipp too but we'll only know when he's a year or two older, and KWP 4 years after his debut has only played a dozen times, so still all to be proved)

Now I think Poch is a bit of a pragmatist and, seeing the limited throughput and what other PL clubs achieve, he said a year or so ago words to the effect that loans weren't all bad.

Whatever way he moves I thin k he has to move away from his original statement - and one way to refine it would be to make better use of pre-season to bring youngsters through. He did more in pore-season 2018 than ever before (maybe due to WC taking away a lot of players) but Spurs still won the pre-season tournament, which I think might have got him thinking 'the kids are alright'. So I'm looking forward to see what happens in pre-season 2019, who goes to it and who plays next season (and with Copa America overlapping taking away CB's Sanchez and Foyth, AM's Lamela and Moura) he has to ise some youth.,

Reason he has to change and bring through some youth is the squad :

Club trained - Kane, Winks, Rose, one vacancy
Other FA Affiliated clubs trained - Dele, Trippier, 2 vacancies

So added to the 17 overseas trained players in the squad (currently 19
for UEFA purposes) that gives us 22 players (including 3 GK's) in the squad, which is only just ok,

And I understand that excludes Skipp and KWP, but either way he either has to bring through more club trained players (as discussed above) or buy them back (probably only Bentaleb and Veljkovic fit that category) or buy home grown players trained by other clubs......high price and not too much choice.....and arguably no better than coming through the Spurs academy if they had experience.......

So Poch's decision how he fills that gap, but its a must to get to a squad size where a few injuries do not undermine the season.
I agree with all of this but if we sell or even try and fail to sell CCV, Onomah, Edwards etc then it’s clear that he is still working off his original plan of loans are given to those who he doesn’t rate (this could be their mentality and/or ability).

Right now none of those out on loan look like they are knocking on the door of first team football at Spurs.

I think what really pissed Pochettino off was Bentaleb going on international duty for Algeria wasn't it? When he wasn't deemed fit enough by ourselves.

This summer is a big one for some promising youngsters. As Edwards has a year left on his contract. Roles' contract is up. Onomah will have had two unsuccessful loans under his belt - so hopefully Pochettino was right about that clean slate and gives some of these chances to succeed.

Onomah, from what I HAVE seen of him, is better than both Marsh and Amos (same age as Amos too), yet like you say, I think Amos and Marsh probably have a better attitude and trust in the manager than Onomah. Skipp too.
All will be revealed in the summer. There is also Olgilve who following a bad injury has been out on loan for what two seasons now(?). If we are looking to raise funds there’s a fair few players that could well be sold.

Back
Top Bottom