Why I am here?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are Tottenham. How did we get here? Lets hear your stories of how you became a yid.

I am 45. My family are all Liverpool and Woolwich about 50/50. Except my favourite aunt who has now passed sadly. She liked Spurs and I loved her. This was when I was about 4 maybe 5. She bought me my first kit.

tottenham-hotspur-away-football-shirt-1977-1980-s_4178_1.jpg

About 1980. I was in from there. 7 years old. My first memories are 1981 FA cup replay and 1984 UEFA cup final. It was along time ago so forgive me. This is going to sound racist but it isn't really. My only memory of the 1981 cup replay is my aunt saying "You can only see his teeth" In reference to poor picture quality and Garth Crooks being in the shade at wembley. It's my first memory so i can't help it.

Second was the penalty shoot out against Anderlecht in 84. No memory of the game but i can still see Tony Parks celebrating the win.

I had a great polaroid of my my unc and my bro (both reds) after the 84 (Liverpool away) win as we left the ground. They were so gutted. Sadly i lost it. It would be my profile pic if i still had it.

Would be great to hear your stories.

All these cunt offs. You are passionate so lets hear why!

Last edited:
I was indoctrinated like most others by the old man.
Incidentally, my earliest football memory was Sniffer Clarke scoring against Woolwich in the 72 final.

Posters that have been around for a while are probably bored by my story. But as you asked, dad was a Chelsea fan, watched the 67 cup final with him and he must have done something to upset me, so I supported the other side. Luckily for me Spurs won. Following season, I just watched out for the results in the paper. But then my next door neighbour took me and his daughter to WHL for the first time, and I was hooked from the minute I walked into the ground. Can't explain why, but all I know is that if I loved my exes is much as I love Spurs, they wouldn't be exes!

Posters that have been around for a while are probably bored by my story. But as you asked, dad was a Chelsea fan, watched the 67 cup final with him and he must have done something to upset me, so I supported the other side. Luckily for me Spurs won. Following season, I just watched out for the results in the paper. But then my next door neighbour took me and his daughter to WHL for the first time, and I was hooked from the minute I walked into the ground. Can't explain why, but all I know is that if I loved my exes is much as I love Spurs, they wouldn't be exes!
The smallest things matter. We never supported our team for glory. Well we had some? I should have been a red considering my family but am so fucking glad I am Tottenham.

I really like your Spurs history. I hope some more will share.

Not even sure, started young. Non of my family are spurs but we live fairly local (Buckhurst hill) so I guess that’s why. Most people when I was younger were either gooners or pikeys here, thank god im a yid

I arrived in London in March 2011. In Australia we dont have a strong following of the premier league as much as the Aussie Rules where I'm from. I was keen to follow a team in London but didnt know whether to follow Tottenham, Chelsea, Woolwich, Fulham or the newly promoted Crystal Palace. My housemate was a Spurs fan and got me started watching a few games. I really like how Bale and Parker played back then. My first game was the October north London derby at home where we won 2-1. The atmosphere at WHL and the pubs afterwards celebrating with fellow fans was a memory I wont forget. I'm hooked for life! Since then I've seen us many times including beating Real Madrid at Wembley where grown men were hugging each other and crying in pure joy. Now the outcome of how my week can be dictated by the outcome of the team's performance. I've met a number of other lily whites overseas including where I live now in LA. Being a Spurs fan is definitely a rollercoaster of highs and lows but that's what the game is all about and I wouldn't trade it for any other team.

Turning 17 I began following Spurs on my own. Trips up to London. Scared, I used to walk into WHL for about £10. Those were the days. Saw Lineker once and Gascoigne at a pre season friendly before he joined Lazio.

The rest of my journey through those days were terrible.

Walking up those steps was magical. I look forward to NWHL. I cannot afford a season ticket atm, but am hopeful of a low attendance in the future so I may attend.

The year was around 2001-2002. Most of the other guys on my youth team were either United, Liverpool or Woolwich fans. I wanted to root for a different team (or might have been that in some form of childish fit I "wasn't allowed" to since there were so many fans of previously mentioned teams already, or some form of dumb rule amongst our group of friends). So I picked Spurs honestly not even knowing much about them at the age of 11. Erik Edman joining us in 2004 probably helped solidify my alliance a fair bit since it gave me a Swedish player to connect with like how all my gooner friends had Ljungberg. The bomb at Anfield helped as well.

Fast forward to now and here I am.

Last edited:
The old man brought me up on this great club and I have passed the love of it on to my sons, and even managed to hook a nephew too.;) And if I'm around long enough, any future grandchildren also.
:tobyarm:

I was taken over there as a kid (about 9 or 10 years old) by my mum and dad and their mates. That would have been 1977 or 1978.
Man, did I love Spurs, I was Spurs mad. I loved Spurs, I still do. I still find it really painful when Spurs fans criticise Spurs players, especially at matches. Why go and criticise your own players ?
We had season tickets in the West stand. We stood in the north corner. Oddly, whenever we played Man City there was always a female Man City fan who used to ring a bell non stop. Does anyone else remember that ?

When they knocked down the West stand they moved us season ticket holders to the middle of the middle tier of the shelf. After that I never wanted to stand anywhere else again.

Things that stick in my mind from supporting Spurs:
The crush at Hillsborough, the game where Hibbitt dived, it was genuinely terrifying.
Ardiles doing that flick trick.
John Pratt scoring from a corner.
Matt Le Tissier terrorising us.

I was taken over there as a kid (about 9 or 10 years old) by my mum and dad and their mates. That would have been 1977 or 1978.
Man, did I love Spurs, I was Spurs mad. I loved Spurs, I still do. I still find it really painful when Spurs fans criticise Spurs players, especially at matches. Why go and criticise your own players ?
We had season tickets in the West stand. We stood in the north corner. Oddly, whenever we played Man City there was always a female Man City fan who used to ring a bell non stop. Does anyone else remember that ?

When they knocked down the West stand they moved us season ticket holders to the middle of the middle tier of the shelf. After that I never wanted to stand anywhere else again.

Things that stick in my mind from supporting Spurs:
The crush at Hillsborough, the game where Hibbitt dived, it was genuinely terrifying.
Ardiles doing that flick trick.
John Pratt scoring from a corner.
Matt Le Tissier terrorising us.
Yes I remember the bell ringing Man City fan, didn't know it was a she until now.
Remember all that other stuff too, apart from the John Pratt corner.
Certain things will stick in my mind until my dying day, and far too many to list here. But just a few for now.....
Glenn's goals against Watford away and Oxford at home.
Stevie's goals against Milan and Woolwich :) and his sending off against Watford :( (always hated Kenny Jackett after that).
Garth Crooks coming straight towards me in the north bank after he scored against Wolves in the semi final in 1981.
First time at Wembley against Man City, what a great feeling, never thinking that I would be sick of the sight of the place nearly 30 years later.
Going abroad for the first time in 1982 to watch us against Ajax, travelling independently with The Magic Bus Company, using coaches and ferries to get over to Amsterdam, staying in a hostel in the red light district for two nights, for the princely sum of £24 for the whole package.
Going to stop now as I'll be writing a book!

Back
Top Bottom