Who's next?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's next?

• Total voters
I think that conversation might not even take place if we get hammered by Scum....he’ll probably walk on Monday
Deary me

This troll claims to be hardcore Spurs having lived through the shit late 90s / early 00s but now wants our most successful manager in a generation sacked after 2 successful loses. Some of our ‘fans’ are beginning to sound like the Man Yoo entitled bunch - embarrassing the level of knee-jerk twat fan few years of consecutive CL qualification brings

And what words are these exactly?

Looks like we have Sun and Daily Mail bots on the forum now...

From the horse's mouth.

"I cannot find excuses because the transfer window is open," he said. "It doesn't justify that performance today or the result. But we have an unsettled group for different reasons and different personal circumstances.

"Of course, I am going to be happier in 10 days after Woolwich when the transfer window is closed and we know we have the players until it opens again in January."

Asked whether Eriksen's absence from the starting XI had an impact on the game, Pochettino said: "I said before, when you lose a game, always the player that doesn't play is the best. I accept that"

Deary me

This troll claims to be hardcore Spurs having lived through the shit late 90s / early 00s but now wants our most successful manager in a generation sacked after 2 successful loses. Some of our ‘fans’ are beginning to sound like the Man Yoo entitled bunch - embarrassing the level of knee-jerk twat fan few years of consecutive CL qualification brings

I had a season ticket when Hoddle was the manager and can vividly remember walking out of the ground early on the last day of the season after a 4-0 loss to Blackburn, the only decent thing that day was catching the end of West Ham getting relegated in the Bell and Hare with a bunch of other Spurs fans who had left early. So I know of the time when we were crap and can remember it well.

The issue I have with your argument is just because we were rubbish before, what makes you think we will be rubbish again if/when he leaves?
What has he done that is so amazing? he hasn't won any trophies.
We've had an emotional rollercoaster and some amazing times under him, but he has been unable to get us over the line.
It wasn't just Poch that got us to where we are now either, Jol and Redknapp played a big part. and Poch was damn lucky with the players he inherited.

one man isn't the club

Just by the way, the likes of Mourinho or Allegri or Blanc would have absolutely no interest in the Spurs project.

300M upfront to remake the squad is the first item in negotiations for any guys like that.
Mourinho I agree.

Blanc I have no idea because he hasn't managed anyone in years. He'd probably take Bury over right now just to get out there.

Allegri I disagree. I actually think he'd do wonders with this squad. When he first came to Juve they were 3rd in CL GS the year before and then eliminated by Benfica in EL at their own stadium (where the final was played too). Conte thrashed them on his way out saying infamously "You can't dine at a 100€ restaurant with 10€ in your pocket" referring to the strength of their team and excusing himself for failure in CL.

They had a good team with Vidal, Pirlo, Tevez, Pogba, Chiellini, Buffon etc. but a lot of their players were unproven and thought of as overrated essentially buying what Conte was selling.

They kept their team together and only signings they gave Allegri were Morata for 20m, Evra and Coman for free and Pereyra (now plays for Watford) on loan. He went to the final next year, almost winning a treble playing some really great football. Then they changed half the team that summer and then again the next one and he went to another final with completely different players, different formation and tactics. He's incredibly flexible and adaptable and works with what he has.

I see some similarities with how he started at Juve (squad together for a long time, good players but not quite considered to be the top) and what he'd potentially take over at Tottenham. He should be on Levy's speed dial if Poch leaves (and I'm getting tired of his whiny act already).

Managers I'd be interested in seeing at the helm the day Poch does leave (if that happens sooner or later I would prefer left unsaid).

Allegri - See ILC's post above.

Marco Rose - Formerly of RB Salzburg, currently at Gladbach. A exciting manager who is tactically sound and used to winning titles and competing in Europe from his time with RB.

Favre - I enjoy his Dortmund side right but I also realize that he would be a tad unrealistic.

Nagelsmann - See Favre.

Hasenhüttl - I like his football and I think he could do really well with our squad and a few tweaks. But I do not see Saints allowing him to leave just yet.

Rafa Benitez - More tactically sound than people give him credit for. Knows how to win titles, knows how to work on a budget. And like Poch he is a manager that thinks in the long term as well as short term. He's said it himself that he wants a project. A team that he can build over a longer period of time towards success, and not just a quick fix thing. Is also a dead cert to be back in England in the relative near future since his family still lives up in Liverpool.

Atletico have spent enormous sums on players during Simeone's tenure. They've collected enormous sums by selling players too, but there has been continuous reinvestment in top players there, while building a new stadium.

I look at the Atletico project with considerable envy, frankly.

Having said that, Simeone is a psycho, he would never get away with some of the shit he pulls in England.

In all fairness though, the Wanda Metropolitano did cost a rumoured €240m to build and it's nowhere near the same financial outlay we've had to fork out with all things considered etc but I see what you're saying.

The big difference to us compared to Atletico Madrid is they are near on nailed certainties each season for Champions League revenue whereas we compete with 3 other teams for those all important 2 slots.

If they buy a did it has less risk than if we do.

1. They've only become that nailed-on certainty through investment.
2. We out-earn them every single season.

Atletico are clearly the 3rd biggest club in Spain, a country that gets 4 Champions League spots. We are clearly the 6th biggest team in England, a country that also gets 4 Champions League slots though.

Is it harder for us to finish in the top 4 than it is Atletico each season? I'm pretty sure it is but that's just my opinion on the stature of both clubs.

As for investment, we have invested. We now have the 2nd biggest stadium in the country, which will be massive for revenue streams, attracting new fans, the growth of the club etc. What we are doing is living within our means and I do get why some fans get irate about this and it is somewhat justified but it's teams that don't spend within their means that do ultimately end up in trouble. Skysports News yesterday showed the following figures:

Wages as a percentage of revenue 2017-2018

PL big 6 - 52.27%
Rest of PL - 67.41%
Championship - 106%
League One - 94% (highest ever)
League Two - 78% (highest since 2001)

Now when you consider that the rest of the PL spend just shy of 70% of their revenue on wages alone, it doesn't exactly leave much for transfer fees, infrastructure investment etc really does it. Derby County & Aston Villa had to sell their stadiums to fund chasing the dream. I know the old 'doing a Leeds' saying crops up but look at the state of football at the moment. It finds itself in a situation where the average Championship team are in debt purely on wages alone, it's not sustainable, it can't be for much longer.

If we spend mad money, which I think we inevitably will have to, we have to accept the risk that comes with that, which ultimately will mean the sale of a load of assets in order to balance the books. If we chase it knowing that there are 5 clubs in better financial situations than use based on club value then we need to accept that we will probably slip back to being a mid table team with the emergence of other teams owned by sugar daddies like Leicester, Wolves etc.

It's a tough one to call but for sure it's easier for Atletico to invest than it is Spurs due to the geographical, financial and logistical benefits and constraints surrounding both clubs. If we start to depend on that Champions League money each year and don't make it, how do you think we'll cover that deficit? It's a lot more likely that we drop out of the top 4 in our domestic league than it is Atletico due to the completion within the PL & the other big 6 in my opinion pal.

the majority of those names in the poll :pochfacepalm:

Levy will not sack Poch and if Poch wants to go Levy will work hard to keep him. If that doesn't work Poch will be put on gardening leave as Levy will not want him to pop up at another English club like United or Chelsea

Where will all this leave us? In a big fucking stinking mess.

the majority of those names in the poll :pochfacepalm:

Levy will not sack Poch and if Poch wants to go Levy will work hard to keep him. If that doesn't work Poch will be put on gardening leave as Levy will not want him to pop up at another English club like United or Chelsea

Where will all this leave us? In a big fucking stinking mess.
Which names on the list do you take issue with? I think there are some exciting ones that might take us to the next level, and some that would add some hard working durability to our weak as piss culture.

Back
Top Bottom