Who do you THINK will be our next manager

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's the next mug

• Mourinho

Votes: 66 25.1%
  • Ancellotti

Votes: 10 3.8%
  • Klopp

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Pep

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Dyche

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sherwood

• Harry

• Howe

Votes: 30 11.4%
  • Potter

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • Big Fat Sam

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • Jesus

• Wilder

• Allegri

Votes: 26 9.9%
  • Benitez

Votes: 26 9.9%
  • Simeone

• Valverde

• Zidane

• Pulis

• Lopetegui

• ten Haag

Votes: 21 8.0%
  • Levy

Votes: 20 7.6%
  • Espirito Santo

Votes: 13 4.9%
  • Rodgers

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Luis Enrique

• Gallardo

• Total voters
There's a counterpoint to that, which would be that barring a degree of sovereign petro-wealth that is well and truly beyond us (and may no longer even be viable in a post-FFP world), a club ought to be built on the sort of stable base of talent development and transfer market savvy that even the biggest spending clubs sincerely aspire to. The City's and PSG's of the world certainly look at themselves as "projects" in that way.

One could choose to look at this as a desperate, grasping West Ham-type move, lurching at shiny objects without an organizational plan.

I don't know that I completely agree with that perspective, but I don't completely agree with yours either, I think there's shades of gray here.

You can build a club on a stable base of talent development and transfer market savvy and still be incredibly successful.

It's not just about throwing money at things, well sometimes it is but most of the time you still need the talent behind the scenes to identify what players will truly improve you.

What I will say is, our wage bill clearly needs to be increased, top players want top wages, that's just the way of the game these days.

In regards to the ambition of which manager we pick to do this job and turn us into a truly elite club, people have to ask themselves something, who is more likely to be able to achieve that here? An Eddie Howe or Jose Mourinho?

Only one of them is a serial winner.

He is going to pick on some players and publicly make examples of them.

Which, by the way, there is downside here that people aren't really considering.

You're putting an abrasive character into a pretty volatile dressing room here, and it's not like it's February and we're safely away from the relegation zone.

It's gonna be Jose...

...and if it is, will that turn Eriksen's head back our way?

Somehow, it's a weird win-win...
Cos if Jose DOES continue his mechanical relentless habit of winning trophies, then we'll finally win something this decade... and if not, we'll have the dubious tag of being the ONLY team to FINALLY break the Mourinho magic!

Which, by the way, there is downside here that people aren't really considering.

You're putting an abrasive character into a pretty volatile dressing room here, and it's not like it's February and we're safely away from the relegation zone.
correct

This will be a very high risk move by Levy. All or nothing, glory or implosion. Amazon will get their money's worth anyway

Marcelino (Garcia Toral). He's a better manager than 95% of those on that list. I don't know about Gallardo as I don't watch Argie footie but absent Pep & Klopp (who I don't rate tactically beyond his 1 tactic) and few others whose footie is awful but get results he would be the one.

In regards to the ambition of which manager we pick to do this job and turn us into a truly elite club, people have to ask themselves something, who is more likely to be able to achieve that here? An Eddie Howe or Jose Mourinho?

Only one of them is a serial winner.

Mourinho is a serial winner, and perhaps one who is past his best. What Howe has done at Bournemouth has been awfully impressive, and he may have a very bright future at the kind of big club we want to be. It's not always so simple.

correct

This will be a very high risk move by Levy. All or nothing, glory or implosion. Amazon will get their money's worth anyway
I'd totally forgotten about Amazon...
Fuck, this isn't a footballing decision, it's a plot point cliff hanger!

It'll DEFINITELY be Jose now...
Amazon script writers have been up all night putting together the next episode!

We're not a football club ANY more, we're a fucking PPV TV show now...
Imagine what Burkinshaw woulda made of THAT?
...talking of which, I wonder what Burky is doing these days????
Worth a punt?!!

Managers I'd take in a heartbeat: Allegri, Ancelotti, Rafa (for his work saving Newcastle's hide with literally ZERO backing from Ashley)

Managers I wouldn't be angry with: Mourinho (people don't realize the garbage side Mourinho was stuck with compared to ours, and he managed to win two trophies with them)

Manager I'm skeptical of: Nagelsmann (seems like a sideways step)

Managers I do not have an ounce of faith in taking the club forward: Howe, Southgate

I'm honestly stressing right now

Oh come on, Poch managed in La Liga, he came over to England and did a good job a Southampton. Tell us what Rose has done
Won the Austrian league in his first season at Salzburg, got to the EL semifinals by beating the likes of Dortmund and Lazio and now his new team Gladbach are leaders in Bundesliga by 4 points.

Not to say that his teams play high pressing football and he’s very good tactically (helped by his Assistant Manager). He’s good at developing young players too because he’s started as a Youth team manager.

Of course he still needs to prove his worth but I can see him get poached by big clubs in the near future.

Mourinho is a serial winner, and perhaps one who is past his best. What Howe has done at Bournemouth has been awfully impressive, and he may have a very bright future at the kind of big club we want to be. It's not always so simple.

Past his best? Mate he won the EL with United and finished 2nd with that squad, he isn't past his best at all, serial winner at every level of the game, indisputable.

Howe is not an impressive manager imo, average at best and nowhere near good enough for a club with ambitions of winning trophies and finishing in the top 4.

He might do a lot of things in the future, might being the keyword, we have been down the "might" road too many times.

It's time we bring in a manager that can match the ambitions of the club.

Won the Austrian league in his first season at Salzburg, got to the EL semifinals by beating the likes of Dortmund and Lazio and now his new team Gladbach are leaders in Bundesliga by 4 points.

Not to say that his teams play high pressing football and he’s very good tactically (helped by his Assistant Manager). He’s good at developing young players too because he’s started as a Youth team manager.

Of course he still needs to prove his worth but I can see him get poached by big clubs in the near future.

I stopped reading after Austrian League

Seriously though I've seen a few managers in the Bundesliga appear to be the next big thing after a good first season but then struggle in their second. Rose needs to prove himself much more

Of its Morinho I really hope that this post v year he has evaluated someb stuff and maybe are going for a bit more entertaining fotboll when possible. But Morinho wouldn't do that, would he?

It's gonna be Jose...

...and if it is, will that turn Eriksen's head back our way?

Somehow, it's a weird win-win...
Cos if Jose DOES continue his mechanical relentless habit of winning trophies, then we'll finally win something this decade... and if not, we'll have the dubious tag of being the ONLY team to FINALLY break the Mourinho magic!

what did he win at United? The EL doesn’t count to me

Back
Top Bottom