White Hart Lane station name change

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Gentleman Spur

Silly Arse
Just as Woolwich have a station named after the club — aptly dubbed Woolwich — so too will Tottenham. After much pressure from the club, Overground station White Hart Lane looks set to be renamed Tottenham Hotspur.

According to The Guardian, Spurs are acting as if the name change is a done deal, whereas TfL says its still subject to a consultation. Is it just us who foresee a lot of prankster Woolwich and Chelsea fans writing all manner of complaints into the consultation to try and throw a spanner in the works?

White Hart Lane Station To Be Renamed Tottenham Hotspur

Just as Woolwich have a station named after the club — aptly dubbed Woolwich — so too will Tottenham. After much pressure from the club, Overground station White Hart Lane looks set to be renamed Tottenham Hotspur.

According to The Guardian, Spurs are acting as if the name change is a done deal, whereas TfL says its still subject to a consultation. Is it just us who foresee a lot of prankster Woolwich and Chelsea fans writing all manner of complaints into the consultation to try and throw a spanner in the works?

White Hart Lane Station To Be Renamed Tottenham Hotspur
Surely if other fans complain it doesn't change then it remains White Hart Lane. A good result! :adethumbup:

Yeah, saw this last night. It's an odd one tbh, as White Hart Lane is already synonymous with the club - so the cynic in me wonders this is about 'debranding' WHL as a new stadium name and sponsor comes in.

Posted this on the stadium thread.

Will 'White Hart Lane' be gone forever from Tottenham?

Stadium will be the XYZ Tottenham Stadium and the nearest station will be renamed. I know the fans will call it WHL but the media won't I don't think.

I think it's quite sad to be honest.

TfL has a policy of not selling the names of designated heritage stations on a long-term basis but agreed after initial meetings with Spurs to explore the idea. A third party valuation of what it would be worth if the station was renamed for a 10-year period was put at £11.7m, in addition to implementation costs of £3m. Tottenham challenged this valuation and said it did not want to pay.

TfL briefed Khan, the transport body’s chairman, who said that the station name change would only be possible on the basis of the commercial terms and, even then, would be subject to a public consultation.

Since then, however, Tottenham has been telling would-be commercial partners that the station name will be changed, according to documents seen by the Guardian.

The U-turn comes after meetings between Tottenham, TfL and London mayoral officials where the club’s executive director, Donna Cullen, pressed its case. She stated that the name change was critical to realising a £250m commercial strategy revolving around selling stadium naming rights to a major partner and that the club did not want the renaming to be treated as a commercial deal.

At one meeting in December 2017 with Leah Kreitzman, the mayoral director for external and international affairs, Cullen suggested the club could fund a new escalator at Tottenham Hale station instead of paying the commercial fee. TfL decided the cost would be a minimum of £3.5m and was of limited value.

London railway station to be renamed Tottenham Hotspur

Has it been announced yet, what the stadium will be dubbed for CL matches? Where corporate names are not allowed, if anyone's missed that.

I feel Levy/The board/whoever is in Levy's ear on this stuff has done a fair few things to get just a bit of the nostalgia with us to the new ground. Hard thing to do, it'll never be the same thing, and no more than you'd expect if they have just a tiny bit of Spurs soul, so not like I feel they've gone above and beyond. Just got what they could, here and there.

Would be undone for me, if they name it Tottenham Stadium or some other generic shit for Europe, which would only be the case to show potential naming rights sponsor that they're trying to kill WHL as the name in fans' heads. I reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllyyyyy bloody hope they go White Hart Lane for Europe :kaneear:

Has it been announced yet, what the stadium will be dubbed for CL matches? Where corporate names are not allowed, if anyone's missed that.

I feel Levy/The board/whoever is in Levy's ear on this stuff has done a fair few things to get just a bit of the nostalgia with us to the new ground. Hard thing to do, it'll never be the same thing, and no more than you'd expect if they have just a tiny bit of Spurs soul, so not like I feel they've gone above and beyond. Just got what they could, here and there.

Would be undone for me, if they name it Tottenham Stadium or some other generic shit for Europe, which would only be the case to show potential naming rights sponsor that they're trying to kill WHL as the name in fans' heads. I reeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllyyyyy bloody hope they go White Hart Lane for Europe :kaneear:
They’ll just call it “Tottenham Hotspur Stadium”, because a) it’s not a corporate name; and b) it’s the actual name of the stadium.

If people complain about the cost of doing a name change they need to take a look at Angel road station, that will change to Meridian water in May I believe.
So new maps and signage will be changing anyway.
Tottenham Hotspur stadium has a classy ring to it!

Will always be "the Lane" to me because as a small boy every other Saturday my dad said goodbye with a "see you later son I'm off down the Lane." So it was and always will be "the Lane" to me. Bit sad to see the White Hart Lane go but that's progress and over time the Lane will disappear totally but will always be in the history of the club.

If people complain about the cost of doing a name change they need to take a look at Angel road station, that will change to Meridian water in May I believe.
So new maps and signage will be changing anyway.
Tottenham Hotspur stadium has a classy ring to it!
Not quite - Angel Road is closing, Meridian Water is a brand new station a bit to the south on the same line opening soon to tie into a housing development.

I have a feeling that the quickest way to get back to central London after games may actually be to walk to Meridian Water or Silver Street to avoid the queues...

For me, this is an example of us over thinking the potential commercial benefits of a rename, especially around stadium sponsorship.

Burying WHL as purely history is not right. I love the unique name. It rekindles the feelings and emotions of the excitement and anticipation from my first visits.

The XXX arena or stadium at White Hart Lane would still be a hugely lucrative asset, and would gain additional goodwill from supporters.

For me, this is an example of us over thinking the potential commercial benefits of a rename, especially around stadium sponsorship.

Burying WHL as purely history is not right. I love the unique name. It rekindles the feelings and emotions of the excitement and anticipation from my first visits.

The XXX arena or stadium at White Hart Lane would still be a hugely lucrative asset, and would gain additional goodwill from supporters.

If you're a multi million sponsor and you're forking out silly money for naming rights, really you'd want control of what that stadium is called completely. The nostalgic romantic in me would love the White Hart Lane name attached to the new place but a blank canvas for any sponsor to choose from automatically increases our potential revenue streams.

Apart from St James Park, I can't think of many new stadiums built that have kept elements of the clubs original grounds name, even if it's been built a little further away from the original grounds to where ours is.

It makes sense for the club to play it safe on this one, even if the heartstrings say otherwise

Not quite - Angel Road is closing, Meridian Water is a brand new station a bit to the south on the same line opening soon to tie into a housing development.

I have a feeling that the quickest way to get back to central London after games may actually be to walk to Meridian Water or Silver Street to avoid the queues...
The point I was making was that the media will use any stick to beat the club with. They will use the station name change to suggest that Spurs aren't paying enough towards the cost of the name change.
My point was Angel road station will close and be replaced by Meridian water station a couple of hundred yards down the track. Tfl will have to change station names anyway on all their maps, Spurs should pay their part in any change, but shouldn't get shafted over it either.
I like the idea that the station could be named after my club, I see that as an honour.
The ground was named after the White Hart pub, so was the road and the station. It will always be the lane to me!
We should have kept the pub in my opinion that was the main reason we settled on that very site!

Never lived in London or been there, but for nostalgia reasons, would prefer the station to stay as "White Hart Lane". In the end of it all, we will always relate Tottenham to The Lane and The Lane to Tottenham.

Will never forget my first time going to a Spurs match and the excitement I remember feeling when the train announcement said, "the next station is: White Hart Lane." Pure goosebumps!
"Tottenham Hotspur" will be pretty damn cool as well, but don't think anything will beat the Lane...

Back
Top Bottom