White Hart Lane 1899-2017

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

There's a new cement making facility about 50 yards away from White Hart Lane Station.
Cement trucks going in and out and most probably driving the short distance to the new stadium.
They've got it all figured out.

Lovely stuff...
One thing that dawned on me though... why did Man City wear their Black & Burgundy away kit, when Stoke's away kit is pretty much Man City's home kit?
41CbjZc4NSL._AC_SL230_.jpg
mancity_home_small17.jpg

It didn't seem to clash when we played Stoke?

Went to see the film 'Memory Lane' at the Bruce Castle Museum today, and went past the stadium beforehand. Not that you can see a great deal from the High Road, but walking down the end of Park Lane we could see that the roof was off the East Stand and they were demolishing the brick work. The Park Lane end is more or less still in one piece, assume that will be the last bit of the ground to go.
Back to the film, although I didn't really learn anything new ('coz I know my history!), it was still a fantastic bit of film, obviously put together by die-hard, dyed-in-the-wool supporters, and I was wiping away a few tears by the end. Loved Mickey Hazard's contribution - he really gets it. Also l totally agreed with Julie Welch's declaration that Spurs were her first true love - I've always maintained that if I had loved my exes as much as I loved Spurs, they wouldn't be exes!

I reckon the East stand will be gone in two days. Now the weather is more settled they can get on with it now.
They're also working on the old North Stand 'gantry' now if I can call it that. They are cutting off the steel
framework piece by piece.

A Spurs supporter's view from the stands
_111100817_martinandersenastonvillatottenhamhotspur-122ndnov.2014martinandersen.jpg

Lifelong Tottenham Hotspur supporter Martin Andersen has been photographing the fans at home and away, and across Europe, from 2013 right up to the last game played at their White Hart Lane stadium, in 2017.

He took pictures at more than 100 games, capturing the highs and lows, the excitement and tension.

Andersen grew up in Denmark but, having seen the 1978 World Cup, in Argentina, on television, he picked Spurs as his team, following their signing of the Argentine stars Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa.

And a move to the UK in the early 1990s meant he could go and watch them from the terraces rather than just cheering them on in front of the television.

_111102646_martinandersentottenhamhotspurwesthamunited-2222ndfeb.2015martinandersen.jpg

"I've seen players and managers come and go and it can be frustrating, even heartbreaking, when they leave for another team," he says.

"Sometimes it can feel like there's little loyalty in football.

"One day you are Spurs, the next day you can go play for a rival.

"The focus is always on the players and the manager.

"I was interested in making a project about the fans.

"The fans never switch alliances - they are here forever and I felt that needed to be documented and celebrated.

_111102648_martinandersenqueensparkrangerstottenhamhotspur-127thmarch2015martinandersen.jpg

"There's something about going to all those games, travelling home and away, which forms bonds between people and, over the past five years, I have met so many fantastic characters and heard many Tottenham stories.

"There is something fascinating about meeting and talking to lifelong fans, those who have been there since the glory days - there's a real link to the history of the club in their memories.

"It's important to memorialise that."

_111102666_oi5a1623_as_2.jpg

Of course, when Andersen started the project, he had no idea his beloved Spurs would be leaving the Lane, but it proved to be a neat place to end his series.

"When the final whistle went and the pitch got invaded, I had a lump in my throat," he says.

"Like so many others, I've had so many great experiences in that stadium - with my father, my family, really good friends and thousands of other Spurs fans.

"My father sadly passed away last summer.

"Over the years, we had so many great memories together at White Hart Lane.

"When we were in the hospital and the doctor told him that he was terminally ill, he didn't say a word to any of us until we had left and sat in the car.

"He then suddenly turned to us and said, "I won't get to see the new Tottenham stadium now."

_111102642_martinandersentottenhamhotspuranzhimakhachkala-4112thdec.2013martinandersen.jpg

_111102640_martinandersenborussiadortmundmartinandersentottenhamhotspur-3010thmarch2016martinandersen.jpg

_111104184_martinandersenwesthamunitedtottenhamhotspur-0116thaug.2014martinandersen.jpg

_111102668_oi5a2370_as_2.jpg

_111102644_martinandersentottenhamhotspurhull-2016thmay2015martinandersen.jpg

_111102660_martinandersentottenhamhotspurarsenal-217thfeb.2015martinandersen.jpg

_111102664_martinandersenastonvillatottenhamhotspur-122ndnov.2014martinandersen553_as_2.jpg

_111104182_martinandersentottenhamhotspurnewcastleunited-1226thoct.2014martinandersen.jpg

_111104186_1.jpg

Can't Smile Without You by Martin Andersen is at Pocko Gallery, east London, from 6 March to 3 April 2020, and SoShiro, central London, from 9 to 22 March. There is also a book available, published by AMS.

All photographs courtesy © Martin Andersen

A Spurs supporter's view from the stands
_111100817_martinandersenastonvillatottenhamhotspur-122ndnov.2014martinandersen.jpg

Lifelong Tottenham Hotspur supporter Martin Andersen has been photographing the fans at home and away, and across Europe, from 2013 right up to the last game played at their White Hart Lane stadium, in 2017.

He took pictures at more than 100 games, capturing the highs and lows, the excitement and tension.

Andersen grew up in Denmark but, having seen the 1978 World Cup, in Argentina, on television, he picked Spurs as his team, following their signing of the Argentine stars Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa.

And a move to the UK in the early 1990s meant he could go and watch them from the terraces rather than just cheering them on in front of the television.

_111102646_martinandersentottenhamhotspurwesthamunited-2222ndfeb.2015martinandersen.jpg

"I've seen players and managers come and go and it can be frustrating, even heartbreaking, when they leave for another team," he says.

"Sometimes it can feel like there's little loyalty in football.

"One day you are Spurs, the next day you can go play for a rival.

"The focus is always on the players and the manager.

"I was interested in making a project about the fans.

"The fans never switch alliances - they are here forever and I felt that needed to be documented and celebrated.

_111102648_martinandersenqueensparkrangerstottenhamhotspur-127thmarch2015martinandersen.jpg

"There's something about going to all those games, travelling home and away, which forms bonds between people and, over the past five years, I have met so many fantastic characters and heard many Tottenham stories.

"There is something fascinating about meeting and talking to lifelong fans, those who have been there since the glory days - there's a real link to the history of the club in their memories.

"It's important to memorialise that."

_111102666_oi5a1623_as_2.jpg

Of course, when Andersen started the project, he had no idea his beloved Spurs would be leaving the Lane, but it proved to be a neat place to end his series.

"When the final whistle went and the pitch got invaded, I had a lump in my throat," he says.

"Like so many others, I've had so many great experiences in that stadium - with my father, my family, really good friends and thousands of other Spurs fans.

"My father sadly passed away last summer.

"Over the years, we had so many great memories together at White Hart Lane.

"When we were in the hospital and the doctor told him that he was terminally ill, he didn't say a word to any of us until we had left and sat in the car.

"He then suddenly turned to us and said, "I won't get to see the new Tottenham stadium now."

_111102642_martinandersentottenhamhotspuranzhimakhachkala-4112thdec.2013martinandersen.jpg

_111102640_martinandersenborussiadortmundmartinandersentottenhamhotspur-3010thmarch2016martinandersen.jpg

_111104184_martinandersenwesthamunitedtottenhamhotspur-0116thaug.2014martinandersen.jpg

_111102668_oi5a2370_as_2.jpg

_111102644_martinandersentottenhamhotspurhull-2016thmay2015martinandersen.jpg

_111102660_martinandersentottenhamhotspurarsenal-217thfeb.2015martinandersen.jpg

_111102664_martinandersenastonvillatottenhamhotspur-122ndnov.2014martinandersen553_as_2.jpg

_111104182_martinandersentottenhamhotspurnewcastleunited-1226thoct.2014martinandersen.jpg

_111104186_1.jpg

Can't Smile Without You by Martin Andersen is at Pocko Gallery, east London, from 6 March to 3 April 2020, and SoShiro, central London, from 9 to 22 March. There is also a book available, published by AMS.

All photographs courtesy © Martin Andersen
Will probably have me in tears. I miss that place so much. The intensity. The aggro. The sight lines.

Back
Top Bottom