WHICH TOTTENHAM PLAYER DID YOU WANT/HOPED WOULDN’T DO WELL.....BUT DID.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don’t understand why any Spurs fan wouldn’t want a player to succeed, but I’m sure there’s some on here that hoped a player failed so they could say they we’re right about him.

So, who is man (or woman) enough to admit they hoped a former or current player was a bust?

Never. If you're Tottenham, you're Tottenham.

Not sure I can agree with you: when Terry Fenwick broke his leg in the warm of a league cup at Old Trafford... shame the same never happened to Sherwood.

Not overly proud of the above sentiments and I certainly don't laugh or mock anyones misfortunes now (in any form of life), but still...

If a player signs for Spurs, even if you don’t like him and/or rate him, everyone at the very least deserves a chance to show what they can do.

I don’t understand why any Spurs fan wouldn’t want a player to succeed, but I’m sure there’s some on here that hoped a player failed so they could say they we’re right about him.

So, who is man (or woman) enough to admit they hoped a former or current player was a bust?
Blakey, any thoughts ?

Doesn't compute.

If a player signs for Spurs, even if you don’t like him and/or rate him, everyone at the very least deserves a chance to show what they can do.

Bullseye!

Gallas won me over.... Was a personal cult fave by the time he left.:gallashmm:

Don’t think we ever signed a player and I thought, god I hope he turns out shit, a mean why?

That said I have grown to digest a few over the years, and hoped they would just fucking leave.....Adebayor being the last one I think.

I thought this thread was just asking which players were a disappointment after we signed them, when we had such
high expectations.

Last edited:
I thought this thread was just asking which players were a disappointment after we signed them, when we had such
high expectations.
That's the other (older) thread you're talking about. LINK
This new thread is the opposite of that - not entirely sure of the point of it, but I'l have a go.

I've been thinking hard, but can't get past Martin Chivers. I know he did well for us, but I just never liked watching his lolloping, effortlessness. I found him dull and stable. I much prefer shorter, zippier, more 'dramatic' players.

Also, I never liked that old weasel, Alan Gilzean. I know he also scored goals, and was good with his head, but as a kid it seemed to me he always just hung around in a sneaky way, waiting for sneakly opportunities. Bit of a selfish player imho. Probably wrong on both counts, but that's life.

Other than that, I struggle to dislike anyone.

Thinking long and hard, I've concluded it is impossible for me to want a new signing to fail. Even if I try to imagine we sign a gooner player, I wouldn't want them to fail.

Last edited:
That's the other (older) thread you're talking about. LINK
This new thread is the opposite of that - not entirely sure of the point of it, but I'l have a go.

I've been thinking hard, but can't get past Martin Chivers. I know he did well for us, but I just never liked watching his lolloping, effortlessness. I found him dull and stable. I much prefer shorter, zippier, more 'dramatic' players.

Also, I never liked that old weasel, Alan Gilzean. I know he also scored goals, and was good with his head, but as a kid it seemed to me he always just hung around in a sneaky way, waiting for sneakly opportunities. Bit of a selfish player imho. Probably wrong on both counts, but that's life.

Other than that, I struggle to dislike anyone.
You're joking, right?
I very rarely dislike a player whilst they are playing for us, that usually comes after, if and when they do the dirty on us.
I couldn't cheer for Modric after he tried to get himself signed for Chelsea. Sheringham on his return, same for Keane. Also Danny and Toby had to earn their way back into my good books last season, which they did, TBF.
I'm all about the Club and the team being bigger than any one individual, so while they are wearing the shirt, they will get my 100% support, as long as they do the same.

I've just now re-read the thread title and realised my mistake.....oops!
I can't be bothered edting the previous post because the sentiments are true.
I will say this though, why would anyone want a player to fail, when they are playing for us? Sheer, utter madness!

I've just now re-read the thread title and realised my mistake.....oops!
I can't be bothered edting the previous post because the sentiments are true.
I will say this though, why would anyone want a player to fail, when they are playing for us? Sheer, utter madness!

There probably are a few (twisted, ego driven agendas appear to be out there) but it's not in their interests to reveal as much....

Back
Top Bottom