Where does this Rank CL Semi

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Have you noticed a big increase in our transfer spend in the past 3 seasons ?

Did you know we have been building a stadium for the last 2 years and saving for it ( and buying land around who). and the new training ground for the last decade.

You might have also noted the stadium is now open ( with a large debt to repay). So Spurs need the money from CL football by finishing in the top 4 ( not Europa by finishing 5 th) and to do that DL recognises we need a decent team to fill the stadium and generate cash so will spend money - not mega bucks as some want but will buy good players at decent prices to build a team fans will want to fill the stadium to see.

That is the business rationale DL will follow

It’s difficult to compare eras. When I was really seriously getting into football as a youngster, English teams were only just being allowed back into Europe. The FA Cup was really the annual showpiece that everyone watched and talked about.

The 1991 semi-final against the scum was such a beautiful day in so many ways. We had a couple of superstars in our side but were heavily predicted to lose against the league champions. But then, we absolutely blew the Arse away in the opening quarter of the game, including Gazza’s free kick.

Woolwich came back and tension at 2-1, with so many chances for them, was unbearable. Then the breakaway third that sealed the victory in the sunshine, with epic celebrations on the pitch and in the stands... it was an absolutely incredible day.

1991 also passes the test of leading to an actual major trophy success. For now, this wins for me.

Did you know we have been building a stadium for the last 2 years and saving for it ( and buying land around who). and the new training ground for the last decade.

You might have also noted the stadium is now open ( with a large debt to repay). So Spurs need the money from CL football by finishing in the top 4 ( not Europa by finishing 5 th) and to do that DL recognises we need a decent team to fill the stadium and generate cash so will spend money - not mega bucks as some want but will buy good players at decent prices to build a team fans will want to fill the stadium to see.

That is the business rationale DL will follow

Well, let’s hope do. When we have borrowed £637m for the stadium I would have thought that not getting a naming rights sponsor so far was a bigger deal financially than missing a year in the CL.

Reaching the last 4 of the CL is a big achievement. Our biggest for years . I just don’t share the view that if we end up finishing 5th given everything that has gone on this season and culminating now in a heavy injury list would make this season a failure.

I think this game will only be beaten by the game that finally wins us the title, if that game is ever coming.

i can till feel the stress, the trembling and the nauseau from the game when reading this topic. One of the most emotional games of football ever.

Seriously....... Who thought we had another goal in us when it went 4-2???

I was hoping against hope but deep deep deep down I didn't realistically expect the final outcome.... For me this match was so special because it really felt we were done and dusted.......

But then Fernando says to Eriksen...... "Hold my Sangria......."

Seriously....... Who thought we had another goal in us when it went 4-2???

I was hoping against hope but deep deep deep down I didn't realistically expect the final outcome.... For me this match was so special because it really felt we were done and dusted.......

But then Fernando says to Eriksen...... "Hold my Sangria......."
It seemed like most City players were standing there like 'never gonna happen, let's score the 5-2 on the break'.

1984. full of drama

reserve keeper saving two pens in a shoot out, having spannered up for the equaliser in the first leg.
full back missing what would have been the winning one in the shoot out..going from "oh shit" to "OH SHHHHHIT" in a matter of moments.

84th minute equaliser to take it to extra time and penalties.

Osvaldo César Ardiles hitting the bar just before Roberts scored. Remember, this was shortly after the Falklands.

The crowd chanting "one Danny Thomas " just after his pen is saved (imagine that. not wishing cancer on his kids, bindippers)

The final penalty save to miss it was off Eidur Gudjohnssssen 's dad.

winning it, obviously.

and then, some years later, it getting out that Anderlecht did a Juventus and paid off the ref for the second leg of the semi final.

Where to start
Beating Hull to set us up for the final day at the Dell in 78.
Semi replay against Wolves 81
Winning the final replay in 81(never thought i'd see us win anything)
UEFA cup 84
Semi final 91
Beating Inter Milan in 2010
Liverpool away in '85 was pretty special.
In fact, how many other teams over the past 50 years or so have beaten them three times in one season?

It will be there in years and years to come. Hard to say where it ranks in my all-time list. I have seen special moments in a game. Seen us actually win something. Was very special.

We have all seen great Spurs games down the years.
But ultimately, it all comes down to one thing;
Seeing your captain lift a trophy.
That is the best football feeling in the world.
When we won the League Cup in 2008 I looked across to my daughter, as Ledly and Keano were lifting the Cup. There were tears of happiness streaming down her face.
It really doesn't get much better than that.

Back
Top Bottom