Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Genuinely surprised that so far more blame poch.
Why?
Some of you need to look up the word “manager”

It’s not just a a title. A manager is paid (9M a year in this case) to manage a team.
Losing to Newcastle is not because the chairman didn’t buy Dybala and Wan Bissaka.

They’d be on the fucking bench anyway

We have one of the best squads we've ever had. Despite that, we didn't deserve to beat Villa, didn't deserve the draw against City and deserved to lose today.

The players look lethargic and lost, many of them standing still or walking. We win games due to individual brilliance, luck or mistakes. Many of our players seem ball-greedy; Too many touches, not passing into space, trying to dribble like Messi and no movement off the ball.

When you watch City or Liverpool the ball transitions smoothly up the pitch, the ball does the moving because the players are already in position or moving into it. With us the players do the running while dribbling, only to make a 5 yard pass and then stand still. It's stilted and stagnant.

We barely press any more and the players didn't even look tired at the final whistle because of how little movement there was, Kane and Moura especially.

This was a must win game. Beat Newcastle and suddenly Woolwich, United and Chelsea are under pressure. The Woolwich game next week becomes less important and the players can relax. Instead we're now the ones under pressure - if we lose next week we will be 5 points behind Woolwich already and stuck in the lower half of the table, playing catch up.

We lost today because of tactics, not because of our lack of signings. Despite that there are obviously huge holes in the squad. I feel like we never replaced Modric who left 7 years ago and we haven't really had a ball playing CM since, maybe Mousa but he wasn't the same level. Instead we've depended on Eriksen to do it, whilst also being an AM. After a performance like today Kane should be dropped, but there's no replacement so he won't be. We can't scout a striker to save our lives, Saldado, Janssen and Llorente were nowhere near good enough.

Last edited:
This is a big problem - prices have gone up during those two years and it’s impossible to buy players with promising talent unless we part with an arm or a leg.

There are positions where we need replacements quite sorely, other than our midfield, and we’ve been unable to attend to those. We need to rebuild our back 4 and we’re nowhere close to achieving that.
But can you see us buying a back four with prices the way they are it would take us about five windows to put a back four together, I think we are dropping out the top four this year

We have one of the best squads we've ever had. Despite that, we didn't deserve to beat Villa, didn't deserve the draw against City and deserved to lose today.

The players look lethargic and lost, many of them standing still or walking. We win games due to individual brilliance, luck or mistakes. Many of our players seem ball-greedy; Too many touches, not passing into space, trying to dribble like Messi and no movement off the ball.

When you watch City or Liverpool the ball transitions smoothly up the pitch, the ball does the moving because the players are already in position or moving into it. With us the players do the running while dribbling, only to make a 5 yard pass and then stand still. It's stilted and stagnant.

We barely press any more and the players didn't even look tired at the final whistle because of how little movement there was, Kane and Moura especially.

This was a must win game. Beat Newcastle and suddenly Woolwich, United and Chelsea are under pressure. The Woolwich game next week becomes less important and the players can relax. Instead we're now the ones under pressure - if we lose next week we will be 5 points behind Woolwich already and stuck in the lower half of the table, playing catch up.

We lost today because of tactics, not because of our lack of signings. Despite that there are obviously huge holes in the squad. I feel like we never replaced Modric who left 7 years ago and we haven't really had a ball playing CM since, maybe Mousa but he wasn't the same level. Instead we've depended on Eriksen to do it, whilst also being an AM. After a performance like today Kane should be dropped, but there's no one to replace so he won't be. We can't scout a striker to save our lives, Saldado, Janssen and Llorente were nowhere near good enough.

Awwww look at you.....this week you’re all about that life.

But we didn't buy for two fucking windows we simply had to spend top managers want top prizes which we simply can't deliver on.

And? No one really does any business during the January window. He went a summer window without spend which is something Klopp has just done - I don’t see their form affected or anyone saying they won’t be challenging this season. He has one of the best squads in the league - he has just had massive amounts spent on it and yet he still needs more. It’s not even funny anymore

While we're at it...

How the fuck does the stadium not have a sponsored name yet? During the court case Tottenham was asked to provide evidence that they had sponsors in the pipe work and they were provided, the court was happy with the evidence and yet...

He went a summer window without spend which is something Klopp has just done - I don’t see their form affected or anyone saying they won’t be challenging this season.

And the funny thing is, put Poch in charge of Liverpool and they would play like Tottenham.

You would literally have Salah holding it up on the halfway line

But they had a more attractive project on offer clearly

A tenth place Liverpool with the following squad

Spurs: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana (replaced by Allen), Coutinho (replaced by Ibe), Origi

Subs: Toure, Allen, Ibe, Bogdan, Sinclair, Vilaca Teixeira, Randall

And the same model that we operate.

Yeah a much more attractive model

Both the manager and the management above him are to blame imo, without Poch Levy would have been fucked, he is the best manager we have had in my lifetime but like others have said, the evidence (outside of our CL run) suggests we are regressing currently.

That's either down to him reaching his maximum potential as a manager or because he lacks the tools to take us further, or because he has become so frustrated with the work environment that he himself has given up hope and that's now being reflected in our performances because it has leaked down to the players as well.

I don't know what the answer is but it doesn't look good for us if I am honest.

I personally think any manager would struggle to work under the conditions he is working under currently, we have two of our best players on the last year of their contract and another one of our best players uninterested and dropped because of it, Kane is also in the worst form I have seen him in since he made his huge breakthrough, it's clear something isn't quite right behind the scenes but the question is, is it down to a sole individual or how we work as a club overall that's starting to cause problems?

And the funny thing is, put Poch in charge of Liverpool and they would play like Tottenham.

You would literally have Salah holding it up on the halfway line

The regulars on here went absolutely insane when I suggested Klopp was a better manager than Poch at the start of last season. Had we had him in the last 5 years I’m quite convinced we would have won the title.

Levy and Mourinho.
A marriage made in heaven

giphy.gif
You jest!

And? No one really does any business during the January window. He went a summer window without spend which is something Klopp has just done - I don’t see their form affected or anyone saying they won’t be challenging this season. He has one of the best squads in the league - he has just had massive amounts spent on it and yet he still needs more. It’s not even funny anymore
Well he needs to sort it and fast otherwise he won't be in a job for long this isn't a recent issue this has been declining for a while at least a season.

The regulars on here went absolutely insane when I suggested Klopp was a better manager than Poch at the start of last season. Had we had him in the last 5 years I’m quite convinced we would have won the title.

October 2018......penny’s dropping for many
When does the manager become accountable for the deficiencies in the team?

Not injuries, not signings, not other teams spending, but the same group of players playing worse football than we used to.

Yesterday aside it was a decent show.
But how many weeks can we waste chances? When does the manager wield the axe or do what it takes to make players realize it’s not ok?

When does he implement our pressing game again?
When does he stop sitting slumped in his chair like a moody Jose man child and start bellowing from the touchline like he used to?

There will be hysterics and denial, but deep down I think you probably all know that the tosspot Klopp would have this same squad tearing the shit out of teams.
So it is possible. It is possible because Poch himself has done it with this squad.
So what gives with regression in our style of play?
Why have we gone from beating relegation fodder 7-1, 4-1 regularly to scraping wins with them coming away unlucky to have lost?

The training was too much and we are knackered? Where the rumours about players complaining that the regime is too tough and causing injuries true after all?

I want to know when we entertain a situation where people are comfortable question the managers part and stop wrapping him up in cotton wool.

When is Poch part of the problem?
And when does the stage come where people accept he needs to improve and it’s not all just the players and Levy’s fault.

So think about that because I think you all know it’s valid. See you in a couple months.

.....but some still in major denial

I personally think any manager would struggle to work under the conditions he is working under currently, we have two of our best players on the last year of their contract and another one of our best players uninterested and dropped because of it, it's clear something isn't quite right behind the scenes but the question is, is it down to a sole individual or how we work as a club overall that's starting to cause problems?
Hold on a second. He has refused to work with a DoF. He has made a rod for his own back by demanding more control of the club.

A tenth place Liverpool with the following squad

Spurs: Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel, Sakho, Moreno, Leiva, Can, Milner, Lallana (replaced by Allen), Coutinho (replaced by Ibe), Origi

Subs: Toure, Allen, Ibe, Bogdan, Sinclair, Vilaca Teixeira, Randall

And the same model that we operate.

Yeah a much more attractive model
Not the team I'm referring to I mean Liverpool have more global appeal that's why they are more attractive plus he is a better manager who makes less mistakes than poch does.

Hold on a second. He has refused to work with a DoF. He has made a rod for his own back by demanding more control of the club.

I understand that completely but refusing to work with a DOF was likely down to the fact he wanted more control and can we really say he has been given more control? Truly? He was backed this window in regards to getting his signings but previous windows?

All I am saying is, I don't think it's all the managers fault.

Back
Top Bottom