Whats gone wrong?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Poch's not up to it / Years of under investment

• Poch not up to it

• Years of under investment

Results are only viewable after voting.
Aye we’ll just bankrupt the club going for one league title, good idea 👍🏻
Who on earth suggested that?

But don't you think it's good to take a risk once in a while?
Surely, as a football fan, you'd get more excitement from winning a title than the announcement of world record breaking profits!

Surely scenes like this

C_ke7UAXgAANE52.jpg

Should be getting us more excited than headlines like this

Tottenham make world-record £113m profit despite costs of new stadium

Who on earth suggested that?

But don't you think it's good to take a risk once in a while?
Surely, as a football fan, you'd get more excitement from winning a title than the announcement of world record breaking profits!

Surely scenes like this

C_ke7UAXgAANE52.jpg

Should be getting us more excited than headlines like this

Tottenham make world-record £113m profit despite costs of new stadium
Fair point, well made. The illustrations have won me over 🤣
It’s obviously important we have the accounts in order.
But agree, would rather support an ambitious club than a profitable business. You’re right

Levy's model on how to run a PL club is NOT working.

Not recruiting for a full season, bargaining and buying cheap players to save money ending up buying twice, last minute desperate signings, not backing managers and prioritising profits and spreadsheets.

Seems we are losing top 4 and top 6 status and will need 5-10 yeas to recover. We are in bad state and this is the reality. The PL table doesn't lie, the awful run since January is there to see. The CL run of last season was luck with heroics was one off, unfortunately we didn't make most of it.

We are about to lose over £100m worth of players for free. This is massive and will affect TWs.

Even worse we may lose Kane. No body blames him if he decides to go elsewhere for trophies.

We need a good run starting next Saturday and keep saying that.

Levy's model on how to run a PL club IS not working.

Not recruiting for a full season, bargaining and buying cheap players to save money ending up buying twice, last minute desperate signings, not backing managers and prioritising profits and spreadsheets.

Seems we are losing top 4 and top 6 status and will need 5-10 yeas to recover. We are in bad state and this is the reality. The PL table doesn't lie, the awful run since January is there to see. The CL run of last season was luck with heroics was one off, unfortunately we didn't make most of it.

We are about to lose over £100m worth of players for free. This is massive and will affect TWs.

Even worse we may lose Kane. No body blames him if he decides to go elsewhere for trophies.

We need a good run starting next Saturday and keep saying that.

5-10 years to recover? I think we can agree that a rebuild is needed, but that sounds more like a doomsday prediction.

I don't think it will take us too long to get back on track IF the right measures are taken.

5-10 years to recover? I think we can agree that a rebuild is needed, but that sounds more like a doomsday prediction.

I don't think it will take us too long to get back on track IF the right measures are taken.
If the current form carries on, no major surgery in January and end up outside top 6, will be disastrous for THFC to start with and we will back to the days of 2001 when Enic took over from Sugar.
How long took Levy to get us to top 6 and then top 4?
Did Enic have the new stadium debt at the time?
Did they invest heavily then or will they invest heavily now?
Will Enic netspend £100m plus in a season? (We need at least 2/3 decent players every season to catch up)

The bottom line is there no much hope with Enic and Levy. If in doubt check their trophy cabinet.

So sick of hearing people say if we spend anymore than we earn we will go bankrupt and die.

Ffs, it's not 2003 anymore. Get real.
For us to spend enough for us to go broke it would have to hundreds and hundreds of million and we'd probably need to get relegated for it to really hit home.
The financial landscape of football has changed so much since Leeds "did a Leeds" and the money is so great that we could change our model.
But we won't. Levy will sack pochettino for not turning water into wine and bread into fish. He'll then turn to another cheap, promising, cheap, trendy, cheap, up and coming, cheap, next big thing, cheap manager for the next 5 years.

We seem to spend less, as a percentage of all the income than most championship teams.

Unfortunately, as things stand, I think the club is far too valuable for anyone to buy ENIC out. Anyone wanting to buy into a football club would be looking at an Everton, Leicester, Villa sort of club where it would be hundreds of millions, not billions.

So sick of hearing people say if we spend anymore than we earn we will go bankrupt and die.

Ffs, it's not 2003 anymore. Get real.
For us to spend enough for us to go broke it would have to hundreds and hundreds of million and we'd probably need to get relegated for it to really hit home.
The financial landscape of football has changed so much since Leeds "did a Leeds" and the money is so great that we could change our model.
But we won't. Levy will sack pochettino for not turning water into wine and bread into fish. He'll then turn to another cheap, promising, cheap, trendy, cheap, up and coming, cheap, next big thing, cheap manager for the next 5 years.

We seem to spend less, as a percentage of all the income than most championship teams.

Unfortunately, as things stand, I think the club is far too valuable for anyone to buy ENIC out. Anyone wanting to buy into a football club would be looking at an Everton, Leicester, Villa sort of club where it would be hundreds of millions, not billions.

Your views pretty much mirror mine. ENIC will always be ENIC. I am also very questioning of where the truth lies with the “record” profits.

Seems to me the club is actually skint reading between the bullshit lines.

For a club that seemed to get away with a lot of miss steps by suggesting they did not want to “do a Leeds” that £600 million debt, players screaming to escape, piss poor performances, and 14th place looking downwards seems very much like we might be doing a Leeds...........

Pretty sure Leeds were deemed too good to go down

I think by far our biggest issue has been squad building for the last few seasons. We have not been proactive in dealing with our issues at fullback, backup striker, central midfield, central defense and now I fear we are going to potentially need a new keeper next summer after Lloris’ injury. Other sides deal with their needs way better than we do.

We had a need at RB ever since we sold Walker, but persisted with Trippier even though he’s not an ideal replacement for him. As Dembele started to age and become more injured, we needed a replacement and didn’t get one until Ndombele. Rose has been inconsistent and mostly crap for 18-24 months, and we hadn’t addressed this until maybe Sessegnon? We aren’t quite sure where he is going to end up yet. We have had a need at defensive midfield really since the start of last season and haven’t addressed it. We still need a backup striker too.

This falls on both Levy and Pochettino for our current issues. It’s not an or situation, they both have made mistakes that has gotten us to this point.

You only need to look at Liverpool to see how long an exile from the top table can last. In the 7 years between 2009 and 2019 they had one top 4 finish, the Rodgers season. It can easily happen to us, it's happening to Manchester United and Woolwich so of course it can happen to us.

You only need to look at Liverpool to see how long an exile from the top table can last. In the 7 years between 2009 and 2019 they had one top 4 finish, the Rodgers season. It can easily happen to us, it's happening to Manchester United and Woolwich so of course it can happen to us.

I'm not saying it can't happen to us. The thing is it also takes the wrong strategy and some bad decisions to take us there. I hope it won't be the case.

But the crying shame is it'll happen to us before we've actually won anything.

Hey, pipes . Here you go bud'. 6 out of 10 think years of underinvestment the main cause of our current plight.
Finger on the pulse, matey

giphy.gif

Hey, pipes . Here you go bud'. 6 out of 10 think years of underinvestment the main cause of our current plight.
Finger on the pulse, matey

giphy.gif
No they don’t. They think that, when given the choice of two things. If I out a poll up asking everyone if they thought you were a simple minded idiot, with absolutely no grasp of how businesses work, or a complete spacker with turnip for brains that can’t even tie his own laces, I imagine a fair number would vote for one of these, meaning you don’t come out of it very well.

You may be a handsome, well educated, well hung stud, but becasue I didn’t give that as a choice, nobody voted for it.*

Your question in what went wrong needs around a dozen possible responses and not a single one would be correct as not a single person or group could be responsible for something going wrong at a top football team. So again, you look like a twat.

*and they wouldn’t anyway, we all know it would be option “idiot” by a landslide.

Back
Top Bottom