What the hell is going on behind the scenes in regards to contracts and our players?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen is obviously a totally different case, he's 4 years younger so 200k a week 42m over four years is a no brainer ... just what makes you think we haven't offered that or more? Harry is on that already ...

To put Toby and Jan in the same category at 30 and 32 respectively, sorry but that's just stupid.

But enough guesswork you tell us what salary you are suggesting is sufficient? let's put some real numbers to your crazy theories ...

You said "something clearly isn't right" and you said it after 11 players in 12 months had signed new contracts and four quality players had just joined us ... so what exactly is clearly not right?

How is Eriksen a different case? Solely because of the 4 year age gap? It's not stupid to put them into the same category at all, those three players are IMPERATIVE to our success in the near future, whilst we have them we need to be slowly bedding in their replacements because it's inevitable that eventually they will have to go, Lo Celso I believe will make a good Eriksen replacement in a few seasons but it's going to take time imo.

Sadly, our backups for Jan and Toby are just simply not at the same level imo, that includes Sanchez.

I think Wage parity with Kane and a 3 year contract for both Jan and Toby and another 4 year for Eriksen would be the best solution, 200k per week.

When I said "something clearly isn't right" what I mean is, I think certain players (Kane) are being offered more favourable contracts than some players that are just as important and I think those players are Toby, Jan and Eriksen and that's why those contracts have yet to be signed.

Again, this is speculation on my part of course but it makes no sense, especially in the case of Jan, as to why he wouldn't put pen to paper when he has already said he wants to stay at the club.

I just feel like Levy undervalues some of our players behind the scenes, hence why we had Toby froze out last year for a period, hence why I think Jan is currently froze out, none of these players seem to have issues with Poch as they are always praising him so it begs the question, who do they have issues with?

giphy.gif

Some of you lot need to seriously take a long hard look in the mirror about what "negativity" really is because, in my mind negativity is constantly derailing threads and never contributing to the discussion and instead just calling other posters negative, moaning about other posters and just whining like a bunch of spineless pussies that can't that an opposing opinion because it hurts their feelings and gets in the way of what they consider to be a "positive" environment.

Let's all just hold hands, dance around a campfire and never say anything whatsoever about the club that could be considered critical.

Negativity is manufacturing problems when there aren't any. Or deciding something is a problem with the club when in reality the only 'problem' is that it doesn't fit what you want, or adhere to the way you think the club should be run.

Negativity is accusing everyone else of being cult-like because they all disagree that you know best, that your views are insightful or prescient because you've somehow managed to see the bad in any given situation.

Oh and, lets not be anywhere near a campfire together.

Vertonghen is a fan of the Last Word On Spurs podcast and liked a post about how happy they are that he's still liking all their posts, given yesterdays omission.

Negativity is manufacturing problems when there aren't any. Or deciding something is a problem with the club when in reality the only 'problem' is that it doesn't fit what you want, or adhere to the way you think the club should be run.

Negativity is accusing everyone else of being cult-like because they all disagree that you know best, that your views are insightful or prescient because you've somehow managed to see the bad in any given situation.

Oh and, lets not be anywhere near a campfire together.

I haven't "manufactured" anything, I made a thread based on one of our best players being dropped for no apparent reason whatsoever and why I am concerned about that, 6-7 people on here, yet again, seem to think that it isn't an issue and everyone else in the footballing world, including VDV on Sky are all "reading into things" too much about it when it's clearly fucking obvious something isn't quite right.

That's why I say it's like a cult, you have a handful of posters on here that love to dig out other posters for having any opinions that differ from their own and I do mean a handful because there are plenty of good posters on here, even people I disagree with.

Despite you using the word "everyone else" (which shows the level of delusion we are dealing with here because, newsflash, 6-7 of the same posters on here agreeing with you calling everyone a "melt" and "negative" that they disagree with aren't representative of the wider fanbase or "everyone else" which you seem to think is the case.)

Also in this thread I also discussed how two of our best players are running their contracts down, that isn't manufacturing things, those are facts.

I am making assumptions about the reasons behind Vertonghen being out but I said that in the post, so that's not manufacturing negativity, that's seeing something that isn't quite right and showing concern about it because I love the club and am worried about us losing our best players.

I don't "see the bad in every situation" and like I said, I didn't accuse everyone else of being cult like, I am accusing posters like you of being cult like because you seem to think that if someone has concerns, that immediately means they are negative or seeing the bad in every situation.

I also never claimed my opinions were ever right, I am likely wrong, I have no issue admitting when I am wrong either, however, let's have a look at something for a second.

People like yourself, accusing others of always thinking they are right and being constantly negative and looking for the bad in everything.

Lets flip that around for a second, have you ever considered that it might be yourself that always thinks they are right and that coming into threads accusing others of being negative is an indication of the strength of your beliefs that you cannot possibly be wrong?

Take a look outside of your little bubble and you will realise that plenty of supporters are concerned about his omission and most of the concerns I have seen relate to people being concerned it is contractual issues that are causing the problems.

It's not tin foil hat to suggest something is wrong when a player that has been completely undroppable for seasons and who has played in every preseason game has suddenly been dropped for no reason and not even included on the bench.

Just because Poch says it's a rotation thing doesn't mean it's true, anybody with a brain knows that's bullshit, he would have at least made the bench if that were the case.

Me wanting improvement for the club in the way of transfers and me not wanting us to lose our best players = an ulterior motive to drag the club down at any opportunity.

Makes complete sense, have you ever considered the possibility, even for a split second, that it might not be good to be continuously optimistic? And it's actually healthy to ask questions?

It's borderline fucking cult on here with some of you I swear, if people aren't spitting rainbows out of their arseholes 24/7 they are immediately negative.

I also love how you lot always ignore any positive contributions posters make and constantly hone in on anything you consider to be negative?

Some of you lot need to seriously take a long hard look in the mirror about what "negativity" really is because, in my mind negativity is constantly derailing threads and never contributing to the discussion and instead just calling other posters negative, moaning about other posters and just whining like a bunch of spineless pussies that can't that an opposing opinion because it hurts their feelings and gets in the way of what they consider to be a "positive" environment.

Let's all just hold hands, dance around a campfire and never say anything whatsoever about the club that could be considered critical.

What ever you are or aren't "spitting rainbows out of their arseholes 24/7" Was a beautiful beautiful line, pure fucking poetry.

A manager has every right to select any player they want and is not obligated to explain their decision. Simple as that.

Jan is 32 years old and there was always going to be a time when he stopped being first choice. If he’s professional and still got enough quality, he will get his place back. If he’s going to sulk then he is finished.

Maybe Poch spoke to Jan beforehand and said that, as it was 'only' Aston Villa', he wanted to give Davy some game time and that he would only need one person for defensive cover, and that would be Eric. If things were bad between Poch and Jan, surely Jan would have been 'sick' and not shown up at the game.
Obviously, this theory would come undone if he is not playing against Citeh.
It will all come out in the wash, no doubt.

Davinson had 2 pre-season games and to be frank. Jan was the worst of our CBs during pre-season. Jan was probably given the night off so Davinson could get some more minutes in him and Jan could get some extra rest.

Had Toby had a less than stellar pre-season it could well have been him rotated out for Dav.

I haven't "manufactured" anything, I made a thread based on one of our best players being dropped for no apparent reason whatsoever and why I am concerned about that, 6-7 people on here, yet again, seem to think that it isn't an issue and everyone else in the footballing world, including VDV on Sky are all "reading into things" too much about it when it's clearly fucking obvious something isn't quite right.

No apparent reason that you can fathom, lets get it straight here. Its not "no apparent reason whatsoever", it's no apparent reason that you could possibly conceive of. Obviously there are many possible reasons, but with City away next week, I give you the obvious one. As for Sky and "everyone else in the footballing world", you'll find that most are media and its the medias job to make stuff up.

That's why I say it's like a cult, you have a handful of posters on here that love to dig out other posters for having any opinions that differ from their own and I do mean a handful because there are plenty of good posters on here, even people I disagree with.

Despite you using the word "everyone else" (which shows the level of delusion we are dealing with here because, newsflash, 6-7 of the same posters on here agreeing with you calling everyone a "melt" and "negative" that they disagree with aren't representative of the wider fanbase or "everyone else" which you seem to think is the case.)

There's more than 6-7 who disagree with you. Maybe only 6-7 who will bother to take the time to engage with you anymore, but most others can see the futility of going over the same thing again and again.

Also in this thread I also discussed how two of our best players are running their contracts down, that isn't manufacturing things, those are facts.

By "running their contracts down", you mean they are not signing new contracts and are deliberately refusing transfers in order to leave on a free in the future? Because they're not, are they? So it's not quite a fact is it? Yes, they will both be out of contract soon, that's a fact, your sensationalist hyperbole isn't fact.

I am making assumptions about the reasons behind Vertonghen being out but I said that in the post, so that's not manufacturing negativity, that's seeing something that isn't quite right and showing concern about it because I love the club and am worried about us losing our best players.

I don't "see the bad in every situation" and like I said, I didn't accuse everyone else of being cult like, I am accusing posters like you of being cult like because you seem to think that if someone has concerns, that immediately means they are negative or seeing the bad in every situation.

Poch is saving Jan for City away, he's sitting wrapped in proverbial cotton wool in the stands. It's as fair an assumption as any you have made, except without drama. Why does it have to be the sky falling down every time the manager makes a decision you don't understand? I'm sure you love the club and are worried about losing our best players, and as someone who was a vocal advocate of Levy backing Poch in the transfer market, you should understand that buying new players means other players leave. Ok, losing them on a free isn't best practice but I'm certain Levy is a lot more pissed off than you about it!

I also never claimed my opinions were ever right, I am likely wrong, I have no issue admitting when I am wrong either, however, let's have a look at something for a second.

People like yourself, accusing others of always thinking they are right and being constantly negative and looking for the bad in everything.

Lets flip that around for a second, have you ever considered that it might be yourself that always thinks they are right and that coming into threads accusing others of being negative is an indication of the strength of your beliefs that you cannot possibly be wrong?

Ok.

No. I've been proved wrong on many an occasion. I've also been right on many. like this one.

I think Wage parity with Kane and a 3 year contract for both Jan and Toby and another 4 year for Eriksen would be the best solution, 200k per week.
Wether you think that or i think that or anybody thinks that, the club are not going to give wage parity to two ageing centre backs inline with the clubs 200 mill plus golden asset. Neither are they going to be offered long contracts that take them into their middle thirties.
Nothing wrong with offering lucrative shorter term deals, not many clubs offer long contracts to players over 30.
It's in print enough that Toby's been offered a double your money deal but has turned it down.
I've not heard or read anything up until now that Jan was unhappy with his contract but who knows.
Again it's been printed enough that we've offered Eriksen a contract that sits him just below Kane but if a player has decided he wants to play his football in a different country with the lifestyle that goes with it, what does a club do.

Maybe Poch spoke to Jan beforehand and said that, as it was 'only' Aston Villa', he wanted to give Davy some game time and that he would only need one person for defensive cover, and that would be Eric. If things were bad between Poch and Jan, surely Jan would have been 'sick' and not shown up at the game.
Obviously, this theory would come undone if he is not playing against Citeh.
It will all come out in the wash, no doubt.

Someone needs their bumps felt

On the topic of defenders getting wage parity with Kane: That's not gonna happen. Defenders don't have wage parity with strikers. Strikers are overall paid more than defenders across the league and in Europe. Strikers are generally more high profile and thus attract more attention and can demand a higher salary.

There's a reason that it is usually Ronaldo, Neymar and Messi on the cover of Fifa. And not Ramos, Chiellini and Vidic. Ramos are the notable exceptions to this rule active right now. Even VVD is on less than Salah and Mane at Liverpool.

Toby was offered a 130k base contract two years ago. And that is very good for a defender. And Jan is most likely on that if not more after his last extension last season.

You're not gonna find a defender on 200 grand a week guaranteed unless his name is Sergio Ramos.

Looks like there's some kind of serious situation regarding Vertonghen from Pochs interview

Take a look outside of your little bubble and you will realise that plenty of supporters are concerned about his omission and most of the concerns I have seen relate to people being concerned it is contractual issues that are causing the problems.

It's not tin foil hat to suggest something is wrong when a player that has been completely undroppable for seasons and who has played in every preseason game has suddenly been dropped for no reason and not even included on the bench.

Just because Poch says it's a rotation thing doesn't mean it's true, anybody with a brain knows that's bullshit, he would have at least made the bench if that were the case.
Maybe Poch thought we could beat Villa without Jan... and was just saving him for City next week... or maybe not.

But, unlike the moon landings, there doesn't always have to be a conspiracy behind it!!

How is Eriksen a different case? Solely because of the 4 year age gap? It's not stupid to put them into the same category at all, those three players are IMPERATIVE to our success in the near future, whilst we have them we need to be slowly bedding in their replacements because it's inevitable that eventually they will have to go, Lo Celso I believe will make a good Eriksen replacement in a few seasons but it's going to take time imo.

Sadly, our backups for Jan and Toby are just simply not at the same level imo, that includes Sanchez.

When I said "something clearly isn't right" what I mean is, I think certain players (Kane) are being offered more favourable contracts than some players that are just as important and I think those players are Toby, Jan and Eriksen and that's why those contracts have yet to be signed.

Again, this is speculation on my part of course but it makes no sense, especially in the case of Jan, as to why he wouldn't put pen to paper when he has already said he wants to stay at the club.

I just feel like Levy undervalues some of our players behind the scenes, hence why we had Toby froze out last year for a period, hence why I think Jan is currently froze out, none of these players seem to have issues with Poch as they are always praising him so it begs the question, who do they have issues with?

Widely reported that Alderweireld agent has been hawking him around to lots of clubs, but the other clubs have not bitten because of the agents wage demands for Alderweireld.

Equally reported at the time that VVD going to Liverpool was being paid ,,£175k PW whilst He was offerred around £150k PW (via Poch good offices) and had verbally agreed but his agent then tried to reopen the negotiations, causing the rift between Alderweireld and club. Incidentally other clubs have not bettered Spurs offer.

Btw it's usual at other clubs to find strikers are paid more than defenders, so nothing usual.

At the end of his current contract it's far from certain that he'd be able to play at top level for a further 3 years, so wouldn't surprise me at all if the club offerred a 2 year contract ( possibly with the club option to extend for a further year)

With Jan being a year or more older probably the same concerns.

,But it's potentially dangerous for the club to have two aging CBs - generally slower etc - so Spurs should be trying to ensure younger CBs are coming through - so no surprise if Saanchez/Foyth/other is played alongside Vertonghen of Alderweireld to ensure the club always has experienced CBs available.

Eriksen - Widely reported that Eriksen wants Spain. You can bet your bottom dollar that contract offers have been made to Eriksen for probably ,5 years ( possibly including release clauses) but the contracts remain unsigned - you can lead a horse to water but can't force him to drink - and club cannot force him to sign.

In summary doubt your fears on contract situation have much basis in reality, players are being well treated.

and being offered more each year than probably anyone on this board earns in a 40 year working life.

You ask the question and then supply the answer ... it's all about age

Pay Eriksen 250k a week on a 5 year contract that costs 60m ... however in three years he will still be worth >80m in the transfer marker, so we could sell (44m profit) or let him see out his contract - that's good business if Eriksen accepts it.

I'm guessing the levels hear ... but

Pay Jan 10m (190k) for an extra year when he's worth nothing at the end of it ... will he accept that? So far the answer has been no ...
Pay Toby 20m (190k) for an extra two years when he's worth nothing at the end of it ... will he accept that? So far the answer has been no ...

Would either deal be good business? As good as both Jan and Toby are at their age 50 games a season simply isn't happening ... much as we all love Toby and Jan another 12 months when their present contracts end and it will probably be time for the youngsters to step up, or for us to sign quality replacements

Like you I'd love them to stay but all players reach the end at some point, father time gets us all ....

Just to clarify my original comment on this thread questioning your opening post. Yes I agree there would appear to be something going on with Jan but my surprise was your associating it with Moura's contract extension for no apparent reason.
I couldn't understand the basis for that argument at all as you simply cannot possibly compare the two players. One is 26 and the other 32.
As has already been said Jan turned up for the match and the situation will become much, much clearer over the next couple of games. Trust in Poch, these things happen but it gets sorted, there is certainly no internal 'uprising' at the club. Team spirit and morale have been the backbone elements of recent seasons when transfer windows were bare and that hasn't suddenly changed.

Why do some people always have to manufacture problems just to have a fucking whinge. Nobody on here has a fucking clue whether there is an issue or not, so why make one up just to have a go.

Pathetic behaviour, to be honest. But I expect no less from certain posters on here.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I'm puzzled by the Moura-Theorie? based on what?

However, whatever's going on I hope we solve it before City away. I don't want us to go there with a weakened team.

Back
Top Bottom