What makes a player a legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The word “legend” is bandied about quite regularly when it comes to sport football,rugby,tennis ect but as regards football in modern times is there such a thing as a “legend” ? and what makes a player a legend? What he does on the field his commitment,loyalty what he says off the field regards his club? Dave MacKay was a legend,Jimmy Greaves also but do we have any now? Kane, he says the right things Dele has committed himself long term Lamela gives 100% but will they ever be held in the same regard as Mackay,Greaves,Hoddle?

The word “legend” is bandied about quite regularly when it comes to sport football,rugby,tennis ect but as regards football in modern times is there such a thing as a “legend” ? and what makes a player a legend? What he does on the field his commitment,loyalty what he says off the field regards his club? Dave MacKay was a legend,Jimmy Greaves also but do we have any now? Kane, he says the right things Dele has committed himself long term Lamela gives 100% but will they ever be held in the same regard as Mackay,Greaves,Hoddle?
For me, there are 2 requirements;
1) Longer than 5 years playing 1st team football regularly
2) Consistent high performances

The two you mention fit that, also Hoddle and Perryman

Any one that joins the gooners can fuck off

Except Jennings, he gets a pass

Legend
1. A minimum of 250 games or 200 starts.
2. 5 years at the club minimum.

All time legend
1. 500+ games
2. Over 10 years present at the club.
3. At least one silverware with the club.

For me it goes on personal accomplishments and they don't have to be trophies.

A good example for me is Jurgen Klinsmann, he may have only been with us for two seasons, but I think it's fair to say that if it wasn't for his second spell at the club, we would have been playing then Division One football in the 1998/99 season.

(Being a primary schoolkid at the time surrounded by Man Utd, Liverpool & soon to be Woolwich glory hunters (the latter all showed up around January of that year, funny that huh?), the humiliation was unbearable at times).

Cult hero for me. Wasn't with us long enough to be a legend in my book.

We do have quite a lot of cult heroes!

Where do we put Aaron Lennon?

- Won a trophy with us
- 360+ appearances for us.
- England international throughout his entire tenure.
- Winners against Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool.

A legend has in addition to the points already mentioned needs to be one of the best players in the team and has outstanding performances on a regular basis and especially in big matches. That rules out the likes of Edinburgh and Lennon.
Of the present team Kane, Dele and Eriksen all have the capability to be legends but they need to be here longer.

We do have quite a lot of cult heroes!

Where do we put Aaron Lennon?

- Won a trophy with us
- 360+ appearances for us.
- England international throughout his entire tenure.
- Winners against Chelsea, Woolwich, Liverpool.
Get your point about Lennon.
I put the likes of Gaza, Klinsmann, Ginola, Bale etc in the cult hero status but everyone has their own legend standards.

Back
Top Bottom