What does the Mancs going out of CL mean for Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So both Manchester teams are out of the Champions League and drop to the Europa.
How do you think it will affect our Premiership campaign?

I was going to say it will be bad all round as they'll be able to rest their first teams and play the second string like we've been doing. But with city I think it might be good for us. They've got a big squad of good players to keep happy and a lot of them are going to get pissed off if they don't play in important games. If they all kick off it might destabilise them enough for them to drop points and allow us to catch them.

Whadaya think?

Honestly I don't think this will have a big impact on us. We've got two games against these teams. The rest of the league is what matters anyway, cos as long as we keep winning, we'll be fine.

It means all the shit gooners and chav fans come out the woodwork boasting. Here's one from a mates facebook...

The true giants of english football made it through the group stages! :)

That literally made me feel sick. Fucking cunt.

The Woolwich fans are out in force on a non-football related site I frequent. I got a few jabs in.

Some highlights:

Scum #1: "I was half expecting them to play on til UTD scored as per usual. Great weeks football, despite our loss last night (and the very existence of Marouane Chamakh and Squillacci)."
Scum #2: "Our loss wasn't really a loss though, it was a victory in terms of giving experience to the younger players. Only downside was Santos getting hurt."

You heard it here folks. When Woolwich lose, they still win.

After a full page of back and forth between these two guys marveling over Woolwich and Mertesacker in particular, I fired off a gem.

Scum #2: "Thank God for Wojciech Szczesny I say."
Me: "That fap fap fap sound you hear is two Woolwich fans wanking each other off under the table. Same as it ever was."

Of course they made a completely predictable jab about "50 years." When will they realize that 50 years without a title doesn't hurt us half as badly as 6 years without a trophy does to them, that our appreciation for the club isn't determined by the frequency of our league titles?

edit: the Man U fans are despondent, criticizing SAF and the lack of depth at the club, that serious moves need to be made in Jan.

Fuck Citeh.

S.L.R said:
Honestly I don't think this will have a big impact on us. We've got two games against these teams. The rest of the league is what matters anyway, cos as long as we keep winning, we'll be fine.
Yeah, but what I'm asking is are they more or less likely to drop points in the Prem? Not just against us but against whoever they play around the time of the CL/Europa games. They won't have to manage their squads as carefully.

eggsoakley said:
It means all the shit gooners and chav fans come out the woodwork boasting. Here's one from a mates facebook...

The true giants of english football made it through the group stages! :)

That literally made me feel sick. Fucking cunt.

Yeah, but it keeps their squads busy. I think the best thing is if the scum make it to the quarters, go out then and fail to make top 4 cos they're forced to play cunts like frimpong and chamack cos their squad is gash. Same for the Chavs.

Good things come to those who wait!!!

City are smashing the league. I think they will feel gutted about going out now but the pressure of not doing well in CL games is now gone. They are free to focus entirely, really, on the league. The thing is, they're already smashing the league, so I don't think the 'added focus' can have that much of a positive impact on their results.

United, well, I could see this having a positive effect for them eventually, yeah. But really, I feel the clubs we should be looking at are the cunts from down the road and the cunts from Fulham Broadway. I still think we'll be in a battle to get fourth, or third.

Loving Woolwich fans at the moment. They are backing their side in the belief they are still a massive team in terms of personnel when most of their first team would not have got anywhere near their club 5 years ago. It's like when the beat Barca last season. They saw this as evidence of their stature rather than what it was; a plucky side getting lucky.

I honestly think this is a positive for us. Really, I would expect both of the Manc clubs to put decent squads out so one doesn't do better than the other. I think it will thin both teams a bit as they will likely get more injuries. I think the real positive for us tonight tho, was Vidic going off for a spell injured. Man U have been poor lately, but could very likely shit themselves now.

I would love to win the league, and I will keep supporting the team whether we do or not, but our real target is second. That is the kind of work that will bring us a big striker and the reinforcements that we need as well as keep hold of Modders, Bale and VdV (let alone the rest of our good players).

spooky said:
Loving a***nal fans at the moment. They are backing their side in the belief they are still a massive team in terms of personnel when most of their first team would not have got anywhere near their club 5 years ago. It's like when the beat Barca last season. They saw this as evidence of their stature rather than what it was; a plucky side getting lucky.

hopefully them getting through will help prevent Wenger from buying in Jan. They are more likely to lose players than gain them and that is the true positive of the week.

spooky said:
Loving a***nal fans at the moment. They are backing their side in the belief they are still a massive team in terms of personnel when most of their first team would not have got anywhere near their club 5 years ago. It's like when the beat Barca last season. They saw this as evidence of their stature rather than what it was; a plucky side getting lucky.
There's nothing more irritating than an optimistic goon, as they clearly haven't understood the point of living.

The only up side is watching them crumble, I can never tire of watching this sort of thing happen.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7pxLPD8j_k[/youtube]

Surely they wont put out full squads?

Woolwich staying in it must be better as they are more likely to play their best teams....unless they get a plum draw.

How does everyone feel about us staying in the Europa now? do you really want us to qualify still?

All it shows is United aren't a team we should be fearful of with the exception of the possible January trip to speak to Modric's agent. Somehow they're grinding out 1-0 results in the league but considering they struggled against one of the poorest Villa sides I've ever seen we should be looking to finish above them this season.

City are different in that they can field a completely different and still very strong second team for the Europa League and also spend big in January if they feel they could put that final push to the title.

Personally I think if we ever want to win the league this is the season to do it when United are bedding in some very talented youngsters and before City go on to dominate for a while longer. All out for the league title I say.

drwinston001 said:
Personally I think if we ever want to win the league this is the season to do it when United are bedding in some very talented youngsters and before City go on to dominate for a while longer. All out for the league title I say.

^Agree.

Both of them dropping out proves that they are fallible. If we can stay healthy and keep moving forward, we have the ability to make a hell of a run in the spring. If anything, I believe it provides somewhat of a mental boost, knowing that if we keep winning they way we are at the moment we could catch them.

Back
Top Bottom