What do we need to do in order to become a dominant force both domestically and in Europe?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At least 22 CL starting quality players. Seriously. Think about how little rest our top players have had over the last few years. It's impossible to dominate without the ability to rotate seamlessly.

So in short, money. It costs money to keep players happy rotating. It also costs money to have an academy that consistently produces top talent.

Take a look at City and apply it over 30yrs and you have your answer.

However, City are yet to do anything on Europe. City were bought over a decade ago now, so just 20 more years to go of this level of success just to match Real and or Barca.

Forget that notion and enjoy the team today or else you will miss what’s happening now whilst it’s not living up to unsustainable expectations.

Money....and until we get a bored sheik taking over we have to squeeze every penny out of what we do have, so it's everyone's duty to spend as much money as they can in the new stadium, because the only way in which we can catch up at the minute is with match day revenues...people literally have to put their money where their mouth is and buy as many pies and pints as they can stand...while wearing the latest full kit that must only be bought from the stadium shop....

I don't think it's possible for us to become 'that' dominant team in the modern era, without an uber rich oil owning conglomerate taking over and buying the shit out of everything (and I don't particularly want that, to be honest).

Realistically, it is very hard to catch up with the likes of United/Liverpool/Barca/Real and compete based on their fan bases compared to ours. It's nearly impossible to compete with City/Chelsea/PSG due to their owners.

Instead I think the club realise this and are going to be innovative, that is what the NFL partnership is all about. I would take a guess that London will get a NFL franchise within 5/10 years and that will be based at our stadium. Be prepared to see "double header" games, Spurs games followed by NFL games later that evening (say Sunday 4pm, followed by NFL game so it suits American audiences).

Then it will be a question of whether it can be successful - remains to be seen but might be able to get the American market sewn up. What does this mean for Spurs? More money, more brand recognition which leads to more money being pumped into the squad.

I'd love to see clubs like City get done for FFP but as we have seen with the Qatar WC, there's no chance FIFA/UEFA will do anything about it.

We need to get better at scouting and identifying players and get players in a year before they're needed so they can bed in e.g. City with Bernardo Silva. Players can take a lot of time to get used to Poch's system and if you look at the age of some of our players and their contracts we need to make sure we have a lot of players there to step in. Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Rose could all be gone next summer and only Sanchez is ready to step in as Foyth is now at rb and Sess is a winger.

It's not a money question. Think about your club 10 years ago, and then look where we are now. Everything is in place to go and win trophies. The one thing I think we need is that "winning mentality", but we might have to win something in order to get that feeling. It would be great if we one day went to City with an expectation of winning the game, and wouldn't just be content with a draw. As long as we've got a great manager I'm positive about the future, and I still believe Poch can take us to glory.

For us, we need a good manager/coach. Check
world class scouting system, no where near good enough at the moment,
Strong squad, it's getting there but we're going to have several out of contract players soon.
This is most important, take every game seriously, I get the impression we are scared to do that in case we don't get top four.

A Sheik.

2f8501d977b61eb5ede793b2a9f3fc2a.gif

I don't think any club will achieve complete dominance. It's likely that big cash injections will mean success is spread among more clubs. I also expect clubs from outside Europe to compete on a grand scale in the future.
The clubs we consider dominant have all been through long, barren spells but have retained their fan-bases. So a successful few years is obviously going to help but ultimately you need to build a global brand*: then your iconic status becomes self-perpetuating.
*Yep, I hate all that too - just being realistic.

There is no doubt in my mind that our club is destined for greatness, it's not a matter of if but a matter of when.

I also can't think of a better time (in my life at least) to be a spurs supporter, we have a great team, a great manager and we are very financially stable thanks to our chairman.

Now, the question I pose is simple, what is going to take us to the next level?

When I say "the next level" I don't just mean winning a single trophy either, I mean, what will take us to the level of complete dominance, a team that consistently wins trophies, a team known for being a force and one to be feared, one with that "winning aura" that only very few clubs possess? A club known for huge stature, Real Madrid being a good example (even though they are terrible currently.)

Is it even possible in the modern game? Is it simply money? I personally don't believe that's the only factor, I think it's more than that, Poch has slowly been building a winning mentality here and last seasons champions league run showed what we are truly capable of, with that level of consistency every season we are guaranteed to not only win a troohy but also become a team known for winning them on a continuous basis, Poch reminds me a lot of Ferguson during the early years albeit a little less ruthless.

However, we have certain issues I believe will need addressing and may cause some problems along the way, some of our best players are getting to their peak in regards to age and it will not be long before they need replacing, will the players coming in give the same level of consistency? That remains to be seen I suppose.

Basically, TLDR, what do you think as a supporter, it will take for us to start winning silverware on a consistent basis and grow the club to be seen as a giant? Like I say, is it even possible for us to achieve that in the modern game?

Supporters realising that the manager can drop people when he wants to would be a start.

There is no doubt in my mind that our club is destined for greatness, it's not a matter of if but a matter of when.

I also can't think of a better time (in my life at least) to be a spurs supporter, we have a great team, a great manager and we are very financially stable thanks to our chairman.

Now, the question I pose is simple, what is going to take us to the next level?

When I say "the next level" I don't just mean winning a single trophy either, I mean, what will take us to the level of complete dominance, a team that consistently wins trophies, a team known for being a force and one to be feared, one with that "winning aura" that only very few clubs possess? A club known for huge stature, Real Madrid being a good example (even though they are terrible currently.)

Is it even possible in the modern game? Is it simply money? I personally don't believe that's the only factor, I think it's more than that, Poch has slowly been building a winning mentality here and last seasons champions league run showed what we are truly capable of, with that level of consistency every season we are guaranteed to not only win a troohy but also become a team known for winning them on a continuous basis, Poch reminds me a lot of Ferguson during the early years albeit a little less ruthless.

However, we have certain issues I believe will need addressing and may cause some problems along the way, some of our best players are getting to their peak in regards to age and it will not be long before they need replacing, will the players coming in give the same level of consistency? That remains to be seen I suppose.

Basically, TLDR, what do you think as a supporter, it will take for us to start winning silverware on a consistent basis and grow the club to be seen as a giant? Like I say, is it even possible for us to achieve that in the modern game?
First of all no we are not destined anytime soon for world dominance why....because in our 137 year history other than the early 60s and some would argue we had our best team EVER!!!! we only managed ONE championship and the early 80s were we further gained our reputation as a cup team of which proved right kinda as we amassed 3! All the while on a even keel financially and not handicapped by greedy little mercenaries who will only play for the club that pays the most or their greedier little agents all of which applies in modern football which it makes it twice as hard as it was then and then we didn’t manage it so.........

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom