What do British Spurs fans think of foreign Spurs fans?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

As a foreign Spurs fan myself I have to admit I don't want to stand next to a bunch of South Koreans at a Spurs match. If they stick with Spurs fair play, but I have a feeling most of them will jump ship as soon as Son plays for a different team.

This ‘feeling’ of yours might be right for some and wrong for some Koreans, but hey, let’s just assume they are all exactly the same and expect the worst for most of them!

And yeah, I defo agree with you that we should refrain from even standing next to one of them lot.

Last edited:
So, probably 5 years ago or so, I wanted to get more into the Prem League. Watched it just a bit now and then, but knew I had to have a team if I were really going to get into it.

My son was 13 at the time. Gave him the task of choosing our team. Only limit I put on him was not to choose one of the Manchester teams. Lotta bandwagon fans of those teams here because they win so often. At the time, didn't even realize the difference in payroll.

He chose Spurs. We enjoyed watching the first year and our fandom only grew from there. I'll never claim to have the depth / understanding of the history as most of you, but i'm learning. I certainly know to hate Woolwich above all. (once I actually understood who that was!) I actually got a bit choked up watching the ceremony after the last game at WHL - even though I wasn't aware of who most of the old guys being introduced were.

I'm a longtime Dallas Cowboy NFL fan (chose them when I was 5). I was born a Kentucky Wildcat college basketball and football fan. I will say I've learned to love the Spurs right up there w those allegiances. I enjoy the good games and lament the bad just as with my other fandoms.

Oh, you'll love this. I wasn't even aware of what a Yid was! I've actually learned a lot just from this forum.

Anyway, at some point, this 51 year old American will make his way to London for a game at the NWHL. I've warned the wife that I'll be singing the songs and fully embracing the whole experience. Can't wait to do so!

Happy to have joined the family, wouldn't have it any other way. COYS!

Couldn't what with that lot in the same boozer as me.

During half term l went and saw the West Spam game at that bar. Full of Spurs and talked a lot with the main Spurs bloke in the film . Really friendly and they know their stuff . Its in Williamsburg hipster central , there is a great bagel place on the corner owned by a small jolly Italian.
My wife and children came in at the end and pulled me out of there .

I have a lot of respect for the guys who get up at silly o clock to watch games.

In my opinion that’s a lot more effort than me going to the stadium and having a few beers at the weekend.

Surely you can’t be serious? Responding to an alarm clock and walking 6 yards into your living room is more virtuous than responding to an alarm clock and driving to Newcastle from London?

You write some bollocks mate, but now you’re just trolling surely? A 600 mile round trip to a game is less of an imposition than staggering back into your bedroom when we’re 2-0 down at half-time? ‘Silly O’clock’ is for British Spurs’ fans too. Not everyone works 9-5.

Last edited:
So, probably 5 years ago or so, I wanted to get more into the Prem League. Watched it just a bit now and then, but knew I had to have a team if I were really going to get into it.

My son was 13 at the time. Gave him the task of choosing our team. Only limit I put on him was not to choose one of the Manchester teams. Lotta bandwagon fans of those teams here because they win so often. At the time, didn't even realize the difference in payroll.

He chose Spurs. We enjoyed watching the first year and our fandom only grew from there. I'll never claim to have the depth / understanding of the history as most of you, but i'm learning. I certainly know to hate Woolwich above all. (once I actually understood who that was!) I actually got a bit choked up watching the ceremony after the last game at WHL - even though I wasn't aware of who most of the old guys being introduced were.

I'm a longtime Dallas Cowboy NFL fan (chose them when I was 5). I was born a Kentucky Wildcat college basketball and football fan. I will say I've learned to love the Spurs right up there w those allegiances. I enjoy the good games and lament the bad just as with my other fandoms.

Oh, you'll love this. I wasn't even aware of what a Yid was! I've actually learned a lot just from this forum.

Anyway, at some point, this 51 year old American will make his way to London for a game at the NWHL. I've warned the wife that I'll be singing the songs and fully embracing the whole experience. Can't wait to do so!

You took a big risk there mate, the 13 year old chap could've chosen Woolwich and you would be supporting the likes of Bellerin and Mustafi by now.

I don't think it's been discussed before, I'd like not to drag this into racism/xenophobia/anti-semitism discussion, strictly from the club culture POV, do you think the Spurs fans outside of UK are more or less connected to the club? For example I'm from Romania and the only club I've supported since I started to watch Premier League was Tottenham. I think I'm fairly connected to the club values and rivalries even though I've never watched Spurs live.

Your comments after the NLD were over the top. If you’re a typical example of an overseas fan, I’d say pass - stay where you are. You were looking for a medal for the most outraged person on here. I don’t think you get this club imo. We’re not good enough for most of you so remember that.

We used to get criticism from other team's fans - now we get it from our own. This would never have happened before. We stuck up in adversity, even when we knew we were wrong. It’s what you did then.

Last edited:

Also a Kentuckian (Lexington). Haven’t missed a game for 3-4 years. Been supporting Spurs since Peter Crouch was on the squad. Loved his tenacity, and skill for and old guy (like me). Supporting Man U would be like following the fucking Cowboys, ugh. Became more of a fan when Dempsey joined, but began to dislike him after a while, due to his whining and diving.

Not a big UK basketball fan, don’t care for the sport that much. Thank god for the premiere league, etc. Gives me something worthwhile to watch once basketball has completely overtaken the airwaves.

Last edited:
Surely you can’t be serious? Responding to an alarm clock and walking 6 yards into your living room is more virtuous than responding to an alarm clock and driving to Newcastle from London?

You write some bollocks mate, but now you’re just trolling surely? A 600 mile round trip to a game is less of an imposition than staggering back into your bedroom when we’re 2-0 down at half-time? ‘Silly O’clock’ is for British Spurs’ fans too. Not everyone works 9-5.

Joe Clash Joe Clash , mate I enjoy your posts, but i think you underestimate how the world clock can be a pain in the arse.

I agree 100%, "physically" travelling 600 miles is an effort, however that effort is rewarded by the " experience " of watching the game live, with fellow yids, pre and post game banter and so forth.

Down under, our time slots could be anywhere from midnight, 1.30 am, 4.30 am and tomorrow 6.40 am. You are correct its simply waking up to a screaming iphone, but when one's work hours are erratic, ( shifts etc ), then I need to basically plan my sleep patterns week by week.

No complaints, as I wouldn't miss a game, but there are times its damn hard, and having a few beers at home at 6 am doesn't make for a good work day. :)

My only other sporting team is St George here in Sydney, and like you, I will travel interstate to watch them as I have done for 35 years. Love it.

COYS!

Yeap. Banter is decent enough but a bit small and always too crowded.
I've honestly never noticed a real Spurs crowd there before so it's surprising to see so many there in the video.

I prefer to watch early games from home after hitting up my local breakfast cart.
For the big CL matches I'll sometimes sneak out of work and go to Flannery's Bar, where the NYSpurs meet.
Otherwise, no choice but to watch low-key from the desk, or on replay in the evening.

Speaking of watching from the desk, my new hire came into my office for a small meeting on Weds, saw my Spurs stream on in the corner of my monitor, and kindly let me know he was a Woolwich fan. That was a really tough moment for me...

:dempsey:

The OG joint was Nevada Smith's in the East Village, but it's gone now after a developer bought the building, waited out their lease, declined to renew, and redeveloped the plot. Owners sold the name and went back to Ireland. Brutal but that is NYC real estate life- sometimes it destroys your favorite bar/restaurant.

Last edited:

To be fair, when I was living in Atlanta I used to go to a Spurs Supporters Club Bar at silly O'Clock in the morning to watch games and the game atmosphere is better than anything I've experienced outside of London. They're new to football but what they lack in knowledge of false number nines, they make up in enthusiasm.

Joe Clash Joe Clash , mate I enjoy your posts, but i think you underestimate how the world clock can be a pain in the arse.

I agree 100%, "physically" travelling 600 miles is an effort, however that effort is rewarded by the " experience " of watching the game live, with fellow yids, pre and post game banter and so forth.

Down under, our time slots could be anywhere from midnight, 1.30 am, 4.30 am and tomorrow 6.40 am. You are correct its simply waking up to a screaming iphone, but when one's work hours are erratic, ( shifts etc ), then I need to basically plan my sleep patterns week by week.

No complaints, as I wouldn't miss a game, but there are times its damn hard, and having a few beers at home at 6 am doesn't make for a good work day. :)

My only other sporting team is St George here in Sydney, and like you, I will travel interstate to watch them as I have done for 35 years. Love it.

COYS!

Well you’re a better man than me Oz. I’d do most things these days to avoid my ‘fellow yids’ except down the pub. Slack jawed, selfie taking, half and half scarf wearing, popcorn eating, burger munching, shrieking little moaning cunts that they are, and I’m not just talking about the kids. Honestly you’re better off 12,000 miles away. I watched the Southampton game the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Then I made the mistake of reading the match thread on here. This place actually spoils my enjoyment of watching Spurs. Anyway, you seem like a good sort so more power to you. Cheers.

Last edited:

COYS!
As an ex-pat, I've done both. You can't compare the experience of getting up early to get on a train with your mates, have a few beers and a sing-song and then get to see the game live in the actual stadium to waking up at 3:50am to go and sit in a dark living room and scramble to get some stream (used to always be a foreign language stream until this season) and have to watch the game sober and alone without waking up the rest of the house. It's not a sob story, because if Tottenham was as important to keep as it is to some I'd have stayed in the UK, but you can't compare the experiences.
640am tomorrow: id kill for a nice 6am kick off, it's 4am for me, way to let to stay up, and too fucking early to get up; as a result, I won't watch it. Some pricks will probably judge me a fair-weather fan for that, but fuck em

Some pricks will probably judge me a fair-weather fan for that, but fuck em

I’m playing snooker tomorrow evening then going for a few beers and a curry, so that makes me more of fair weather fan than you. Just because TV wants to schedule matches on a Saturday evening doesn’t mean I have to watch them. 10 years ago I’d have been in Leicester, but thanks to the bandwagon passengers that isn’t possible now.

I’m playing snooker tomorrow evening then going for a few beers and a curry, so that makes me more of fair weather fan than you. Just because TV wants to schedule matches on a Saturday evening doesn’t mean I have to watch them. 10 years ago I’d have been in Leicester, but thanks to the bandwagon passengers that isn’t possible now.
They are taking the piss this year, how many Sat 3pm KOs have we had? 3 or 4, got to be a record low

Back
Top Bottom