West Ham (a) 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Trippier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sanchez

• TA

• Davies

• Dier

• Kane

• Moura

• Total voters
I realist that as a fellow SC poster I run the risk of abuse but here goes. “ Converts “ it seems are not too welcome. I kind of like the COYS tradition when new posters are welcomed on specific introduction posts by scores of existing members.

BC as usual you talk a lot of sense in your own lucid style. As usual some of your points are over harsh. I’m not sure it’s lack of courage by Poch in not blooding the likes of Skipp during our injury crisis. I’d like to see him coming off the bench from time to time but throwing him in to start a tough game at West Ham or any of our upcoming schedule is not realistic.

I Agee that we are not flying on all cylinders and frankly when we enter the really tough period coming up I am worried that we are going to get found out.

The loss of Vertonghen in particular is huge. Alderweireld is doing a great job defensively but his distribution from the left side is limited.

But being without Eriksen and Dele have also been big blows. We don’t have the same Wanyama as before , Dembele is fading though still useful plus Vorm was a liability. Kane and especially Son are knackered. As you know Eriksen’ s influence is huge.

Inecxcusable that we didn’t bring in any new players. Hopefully January though I’m not holding my breath.

But whatever you say, our results outside of the CL have been great. 6 away games out of 9 , winning 5 of them. That shows guts.

The next run of games is tough and crucial. As I have said before let’s assess where we are after that.

One thing I’ve never questioned is the spirit or bollocks of this team, I think it’s the fumes we are running on to be honest.

Its some of the coaching, tactics and team selections that I’m struggling with. It’s hard to see a coherent ethos anymore.

Poch’s tenure was kick started by the introduction of some youthful energetic hunger.

I think he’s missed a trick not tapping into some of that again. Yes, you get a bit of inexperienced naivety but you get in instant injection of run-through-brick-wall exuberance, and in some cases (cough Sissoko) an upgrade in technical competency.

Quick question, have we ever fielded a team consisting of what I believe our strongest XI to be?

Lloris
Trippier
Vertonghen
Alderweireld
Rose
Dier
Dembele
Eriksen
Dele
Lucas
Kane

Bench would be Vorm, Aurier, Sanchez, Wanyama, Winks, Lamela, Son

It would be fascinating to know if this starting XI has ever actually started a game together. Crazy to judge our fluidity if we've been having to chop and change so frequently to accommodate unavailability etc

Quick question, have we ever fielded a team consisting of what I believe our strongest XI to be?

Lloris
Trippier
Vertonghen
Alderweireld
Rose
Dier
Dembele
Eriksen
Dele
Lucas
Kane

Bench would be Vorm, Aurier, Sanchez, Wanyama, Winks, Lamela, Son

It would be fascinating to know if this starting XI has ever actually started a game together. Crazy to judge our fluidity if we've been having to chop and change so frequently to accommodate unavailability etc

Man Utd 3-0

Really dont get your comment... ‘grow some fucking bollocks Poch and give us a midfield back soon.’ Used to reading deluded posters who think they know better than a top quality manager but to imply his selections are wrong due to lacking bravery is a new one.

I can see some reason behind his points on style of play and identity but the team selection rants always confuse me. Not singling out bus-conductor bus-conductor but the point is these are the players Pochettino has to pick from. We have to do with them until January at the least. I know we have our favorites and our not so likeable players but it becomes an agenda when we can't acknowledge someone having a good game without adding an irrelevant caveat. Take that to the player threads and keep the rating threads about the game in discussion. Sissoko could perform a Zidane vs Brazil performance and he'd still get no more than a 6.5 from many because he's Sissoko.

Its some of the coaching, tactics and team selections that I’m struggling with. It’s hard to see a coherent ethos anymore.
Some quite interesting stats on the BBC last week. Article:

Jose Mourinho: Would sacking Man Utd manager be justified?

Two most interesting charts here to save anyone the time:

Closing-Down.png

Tackling.png

No coherent ethos???

Would you seriously put Dier in ahead of Wanyama, if everyone’s fit?

If everyone's fit no but I haven't seen a fit Wanyama for over a year now and if I'm being honest I've forgotten what it's like to see him in full flow.

Sad to say but I don't think he'll get back to a level where he adds vital components to the team but I hope I'm wrong. For that reason I have Dier ahead of him and don't see that change anytime soon

New on these boards but the idea of someone offering up their review and then shitting on all over them, and extending that argument for 4 pages shows just as much negativity as the OP.

I for one enjoy bus-conductor bus-conductor and his analysis. I might not agree with it, but hey, he says what he thinks. What proceeds is then 4-6 pages of “fuck off you turgid, spurs hating cock”

I think we all need to check ourselves and realize we are all here for the same reason. Some might not have the rose colored glasses some sport and some might not have the undying positivity, but so what? Push the disagree button and offer up a counter argument versus “get the fuck off my boards”

Last edited:
Some quite interesting stats on the BBC last week. Article:

Jose Mourinho: Would sacking Man Utd manager be justified?

Two most interesting charts here to save anyone the time:

Closing-Down.png

Tackling.png

No coherent ethos???

Great find, very interesting. But I would counter that partially with the x/g against table which sits us 8th behind, in order:

ManC, Liverpool, Wolves, Leicester, Chelsea, Everton and Bournemouth.

Your table does surprise me in as much as we are ahead of City, but Liverpool have clearly altered their approach, are playing a much more pragmatic brand of football this term thus far. Chelsea and Woolwich are very transitional right now (and Sarri’s style is very risk inherent, Poch’s more risk averse) and Mourinho’s never been a high press, quick recovery merchant.

I’m pleased that that chart suggests some of the crucial tenets of Poch’s ethos are still in existence, it certainly hasn’t seemed like we’ve been as coherent without the ball to me (it would be interesting to see a Spurs v Spurs comparison to seasons past?) but from the XGa comparison to previous two seasons we are clearly allowing the opposition more and better quality chances (we’ve gone from 4th best to 8th) we are currently averaging an xga of 1.13 compared to say 0.88 16/17. I know that seems incremental but over a season that’s the difference of nearly ten goals conceded. Suggesting even though we are still going through some of the motions, the quality of what we are doing isn’t as good.

I haven’t checked other teams, to see if this is a trend, IE something other teams are also effected by stuff like WC fatigue etc (in terms of xga, my guess would be ManU and Chelsea are worse, Liverpool are better with Arse and Citysimilar)

The point being that WC fatigue, lack of pre-season, injuries, degrading players etc are almost certainly contributing, I acknowledge this, I’m just not convinced a Poch is always making intuitive decisions to cope with these issues.

And our attacking metrics are definitely on the slight decline on the last two seasons. Less possession (marginally), less shots, XG etc Considering we have added attacking players in the last 12 months (Moura signed and Lamela back) and lost none as well.

Completely agree, we get the points but the football produced has been shit all season. That midfield is so dull, you don't expect a single player to contribute with any assists or goals. The technical ability in our team is so poor

Value your thoroughness but you really undermine the issues our club have faced in a time where we have to really grind it out for the greater good.

No home advantage

No pre-season for the majority of our first XI

Ten important players missing at key moments so early in the season already - Lloris and Vorm - at the same time it needs to be said, Aurier, Rose, Vertonghen, Wanyama, Dembele, Dele, Eriksen, Lamela has missed a couple and is in form & Son, let alone the lack of form from key players when they have been fit and available.

No transfers during the summer

And did I mention we still have no home advantage and experienced a very deflating moment when we were told our return home was further delayed?

We cannot judge until we are back at Spurs, back in the rhythm, back to feeling like we have a place to generate such a swagger and with the lack of ins & outs, stadium disillusion, tweaks and knocks and nowhere to stamp your home turf mark it really has been a boost in the arm and all the fans should see it like that, even if we know the football hasn't been champagne football like we experience 12-24 months ago.

With all of these things well and truly in play for us recently results have been the only thing that has mattered and that's what we have mustered.

We all love Spurs, we want to see them do well and do it in style but at the moment it's purely about keeping with the pack, pure grit and grinding is all that's required until we get all things settled and smoothly moving along, possibly for another month or two in my opinion dude

Brilliant post. Good to see the majority know what it’s about.

Still a fair few morons of the opinion “if we won every game we’d be top” floating around.
The sort of people who think it’s the end of the world because we’ve been disjointed but winning......while the likes of Liverpool, Chelsea, City and Utd have surpassed us....hmmmm.
As far as I’m aware, City Chelsea and Pool have been playing at peak levels. Yet here we are level with one and just two points of the others. So what about a little optimism for when we click then?

As you point out, just so many injuries.
Right now playing without Dele and Eriksen, but apparently our squad isn’t good enough despite, again, sitting just two points behind the in form teams and level with the other.

So what gives?

The reserves should be playing like Brazil 70? Grinding out wins is only good enough for Klopp? Or a gritty City?
We lost two games and it was meltdown.
Now 1-0 wins are beneath us.

I watched the game again today, minus the stress. We were excellent. There’s good things to come, the squad getting fitter, and sharper, and far from shitting my pants over the next 22 days fixture list I can’t wait.

It’s always nice to make a post after beating the wankers that are West Ham, it’s becoming as satisfying as beating the goons recently.

But having said that, I enjoy my life as a Spurs fan so much more when not invested in this place, where optimism comes to die.
“I’d take a scratchy 1-0 win.......but we didn’t win 4-0 so I’m livid”

You really learn to fall back in love with it all when you’re not constantly exposed to the opinions of negative Spurs fans all the time.

Special shout out to KingDawson......would you still rather have Fabregas than Winks?
Not so funny now is it. Too many can’t see past their own noses (or Ndombeles cock hehe). That’s why you get awful shit posted like the OP in this thread.

Back the squad, watch the games, and dare I say, try enjoy supporting your fucking team once in a while.
Or just continue sounding like a failed writer who lacks knowledge of the sport, I really don’t care.

Keep up the good work all you true lot

YIIIIDDDDDOS

If everyone's fit no but I haven't seen a fit Wanyama for over a year now and if I'm being honest I've forgotten what it's like to see him in full flow.

Sad to say but I don't think he'll get back to a level where he adds vital components to the team but I hope I'm wrong. For that reason I have Dier ahead of him and don't see that change anytime soon

You have to say the same for Dembele then, no?

Says everything anyone needs to know about you ... not about Spurs ... what a boring troll you're in danger of becoming ....

If 'same shit different day' equals our best EPL start ever, shouldn't we be happy?

Look back at the opening post.

These are his main points :

He likes 4-3-3 but not when 2 of the midfield 3 are Dier and Sissoko. He would rather see Poch be braver and include our young Academy players. Sissoko did better than usual but he is a poor footballer. He played a great ball for the goal. Dier passes backwards too often.

We played poorly in the second half. We could however have been 2 up at half time.

Lloris, Winks, Alderweireld,Lamela all played well. Lamela is like a new signing. Kane shows signs of getting back to his best. Sanchez did better in the second half when we were under pressure.

Trippier and Davies were poor. We need an upgrade at LB.

Moura is not the most intelligent footballer despite his other attributes.

Out of all these points I disagree about bringing in the Academy players as starters. I think he’s being harsh on Moura. But the rest are pretty accurate points. You may not like the writing style . It’s very different and very often over the top. But the level of insults he is getting is also over the top. At least there is now a regular ratings thread which adds something to the forum.

New on these boards but the idea of someone offering up their review and then shitting on all over them, and extending that argument for 4 pages shows just as much negativity as the OP.

I for one enjoy bus-conductor bus-conductor and his analysis. I might not agree with it, but hey, he says what he thinks. What proceeds is then 4-6 pages of “fuck off you turgid, spurs hating cock”

I think we all need to check ourselves and realize we are all here for the same reason. Some might not have the rose colored glasses some sport and some might not have the undying positivity, but so what? Push the disagree button and offer up a counter argument versus “get the fuck off my boards”

I enjoy the analysis and can appreciate differing opinions but I really can't stand the constant crapping over Dier in particular, (and Sissoko) from BC and a couple of other newcomers recently. It is constant and tedious, not unlike how it was against Lamela for a long while there. Like it or not, Dier plays a huge number of minutes for this Spurs team that is 2 points off the top playing sometimes ugly football, and he has been a constant in the team for some time. I don't think it is going to change and I personally think that he is one of the first names on the team sheet for Poch.

Back
Top Bottom