We need to talk about THST

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Should THST merely apologise publicly, or mark their new irrelevance by disbanding entirely?

• Public apology

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Disband

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Let them eat cheese

Votes: 24 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Whether people like it or not (and I don't), MK Dons are a part of the English football ecosystem. There is no way to spend money on the English game without contributing to them. They get solidarity payments from the Premier League you contribute to if you subscribe to Sky or watch a game at the pub. They get transfer fees for the likes of Dele and training fees whenever an ex-academy player is sold on, transfers funded by us. A portion of cup ticket sales are redistributed to lower league sides, including MK Dons. It's unavoidable. And to boycott a Spurs game over it is ridiculous.

Extract from the letter :

'Earlier this month, the Club asked THST to help gauge fan opinion on a possible change of home venue given both Wembley and our new stadium were unavailable during w/c 24 September.

The results of our survey showed a marginal preference for playing at an alternative home venue as opposed to flipping the tie (46% v 43%). The Club also had a strong preference for not giving up home advantage. And 70% of fans in the survey wanted the alternative venue to be within the M25.

We appreciate it was always going to be difficult to find a suitable venue within those parameters'

So :
Option1
Reverse fixture (despite less than 50% wanting that) = max 21577 x 10% or 2,150 tickets to Spurs supporters = unhappy fans as too few tickets

Option 2
Neutral Ground (but not at a club still in competition, so rules out all the major London clubs stadiums It may well be that the largest available stadium is the Letyon Orient Stadium at about 9,000 capacity of which Spurs fans might get about 8,000 tickets - proving its available of course - otherwise it might be the Barnet stadium at 5,000 capacity.

So whatever the choice of stadium, fans would be very split as to which the best option was.
- as the THST knew saying ' We appreciate it was always going to be difficult to find a suitable venue within those parameters'.

Seems to me the letter would and could never represent the majority of Spurs fans views on the stadium so its ridiculous to claim it,

Whilst there is a rationale for a THST body, the current idea to attack THFC continually makes it ineffective. It needs to pick its fights with THFC but sometimes just be supportive where the club has made a choice from an all but impossible choice as there is NO good solution..

Fans of loads of clubs have boycotted games at MK Dons, ever since their inception. A football club trust feeling this way is not unusual, and I think it’s pretty shit to criticise them for this stance.

IF the trust board members want to boycott this game, then good luck to them. Making a personal choice public using the Trust's social media is a shitty move.

I am regretting joining the trust a little while ago. This is not what I thought they were about, they should not be making statements like this, or their previous one, this does not represent me or how I feel at all.
Me too. They seem to be OK with doing surveys for trivial stuff like catering, but with big things like this, they didn't ask my opinion.

Attacking MK Dons whilst not attacking AFC Wimbledon for what they did to Kingstonian F.C. smacks of hypocrisy.

Get political when it suits them it seems and pushes their agenda.

I don't follow the trust at all. In fact, these past 2 letters are about as much as I've cared to read. Have they ever actually achieved real change at the club?

Attacking MK Dons whilst not attacking AFC Wimbledon for what they did to Kingstonian F.C. smacks of hypocrisy.

Get political when it suits them it seems.

The problem is, where does it end? Boycotting the Madrid games because of a sympathy with the Catalonian independence cause? A stretch I know, but any venture into politics is dangerous territory.

The problem is, where does it end? Boycotting the Madrid games because of a sympathy with the Catalonian independence cause? A stretch I know, but any venture into politics is dangerous territory.
Exactly. Just don't do it. Not in the name of a whole set of supporters you haven't asked anyway. If an individual put their feelings forward and used that bollocks, then fair enough, but aren't they the voice of many?

Sorry I defended them before. This exchange sums it up:

So the fans might want the game at MK, but the trust don't. So what is the point of them?

Last edited:
Did the Trust express similar misgivings about Stadium MK when that was looked at as a possibility rather than Wembley?

Seems tacked on.
Apparently they have consistently done it to be fair to them. However, this raises a rather serious point. Are the bastards lobbying on the supporters' behalf when doing this? I don't care about MK. I doubt most fans do either. I have read the most arrogant responses from the Trust on twitter about this. It just blows my mind. They are making out they are more informed and 'better' for boycotting.

Edit: They have confirmed it:

:pochfacepalm:

Last edited:
The trust have really fucked up on this, I don’t feel like they represent any of us, and to be honest it’s embaressing that they speak for us to the club on such issues.

The board must think we are all such ignorant little simple people that take any chance we can to have a moan.

Apparently they have consistently done it to be fair to them. However, this raises a rather serious point. Are the bastards lobbying on the supporters' behalf when doing this? I don't care about MK. I doubt most fans do either. I have read the most arrogant responses from the Trust on twitter about this. It just blows my mind. They are making out they are more informed and 'better' for boycotting.
I always thought their opposition was more based on the location of the stadium as opposed to the Wimbledon fiasco.

They should be concerned about what’s best for Spurs supporters. Just seems like an odd throw away comment.

The club is trying their best, but of course we draw a home match when we don’t want one. Can’t catch a break with this stadium delay it seems.

The clue is in the name. It’s Stadium MK.

It’s a multi purpose stadium.

Used for Ruby Union, Rugby World Cup, Olympic events, international Football games, Ladies football ( inc FA Cup Final for Woolwich ) and it was even a potential host stadium for the World cup bid

And yes. It is home to MK Dons. But so fucking what? They are a stadium user like all of the above other examples. No one boycotted the Rugby WC in support of Wimbledon. It’s ridiculous to use that as a reason to not attend a Spurs game. I doubt any Gooners thought twice about supporting their mob in the FA Cup final (ladies)

Fair enough to bitch about it being an utter pain in the arse to get to and fair enough about it not being London. But get over those things and I can’t see much of an argument about not attending.

Get political when it suits them it seems and pushes their agenda.

I don't follow the trust at all. In fact, these past 2 letters are about as much as I've cared to read. Have they ever actually achieved real change at the club?
This x 1,000,000

I live in SW London now and am quite into the non league scene. AFC are cunts of the highest order. Hypocritical twats. Did a deal with Chelsea that made Kingstonian homeless. Another non league club in our area destroyed.

Now the club that gave AFC a home have been kicked out and are playing at Corinthian Casuals. AFC are heading to a new stadium in Plough Lane and are moving up the leagues. They’ve done well out of the MK situation with the old PL club (which was rapidly going bust) longer term, partly due to the exaggerated romanticism of their plight.

The Trust are a shambles. 1882 could have been a real, positive alternative but that sadly died a few years ago too. All I see from THST is negativity about anything we try and do as we progress through this period that we need to get us to the next level.

I’ll be going to MK. Should be an entertaining and unusual evening. Fuck the haters. Fuck the Trust. We’re going places with or without their whinging and whining. COYS.

I am a bit taken back by some comments and the poll result,as somebody that did do the survey I thought it would be 90% in favour of switching the home game so the vext issue of a neutral ground did not come into play.
As a supporter that's seen us in the early rounds of the league cup in Gillingham Halifax Grimsby Chester Carlisle and many more I can't believe fans voted for a neutral ground.
The times are a changing with our support.

It just seems that once again the Trust have gone with a minority view completely ignoring what would be best for the rank and file fan ...

A) The facts - NWHL and Wembley are not available ..... so zero tickets for fans

B) Reversing the fixture? possible with Watford's agreement ..... would give 2,200 tickets

C) Neutral venue (in this case MK Stadium) ..... would give 25,000 tickets

Now putting aside their 'personal issues' with the club, and bearing in mind they are claiming to represent the fan base .... which option is the only logical choice?

Sure there are issues with travelling to MK, but it's not feckin' Scotland .....

If the Trust keep on driving private agendas they will make themselves irrelevant, that would be a huge loss because they can and do achieve a lot, wind your necks in lads and focus on dialogue, not ill-conceived open letters which just don't reflect reality....

I don't know what the trust does but I am unlikely to hate on them due to their members clearly being Spurs through and through. Anyone who doubts that should read the book We Are Tottenham.

Regarding Stadium MK, I think it is a logical decision from the club and it is only a League Cup tie. I don't think that us using that stadium endorses MK Dons over AFC Wimbledon although that is partly due to it being a few years after those issues.

All of that said, I'd hesitate to get annoyed at the trust for taking a stance in the direction of fairer ticket prices, fan owned clubs, and so on, even if the statement does read bad publicly and alienates some fans.

Just because they are less skilled in public relations does not mean they are a force of evil, or a voice that is unnecessary. If they have been found guilty of poor communication, I'd say them and the club are on level terms.

The club comes out better looking here but any time they don't there are not calls for the club to disband. So that is unfair expectation.

Back
Top Bottom