We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Still feeling so deflated. I haven't picked up a paper and avoid any TV that might feature any news of the game. Even avoiding speaking to my aunt who lived in Liverpool for a number of years, that she talks with the broadest Scouse accent!

England game has done us a massive favour on this front....

Seems like most of the media have moved on.

It's back to a standard summer of hollow-ITK and being teased over transfers & managerial exits now. :llorishuh:

England game has done us a massive favour on this front....

Seems like most of the media have moved on.

It's back to a standard summer of hollow-ITK and being teased over transfers & managerial exits now. :llorishuh:

Endless trailers of Jim White about to explode about the Bale to Rochdale rumour.

It's like this for the next two months. That or the Womens' World Cup.

I walked out the pub ,pretty much on the final whistle.
Wrong really, i suppose i should have watched the paleyers pick up their medals. But couldn't Klopp or them picking up the trophy

I put an old recording of Only Fools to cheer me up
The one with the chandelier!!

Only got home from Madrid last night, a ton of posts on here that I doubt I've got time to read but will try to catch up on.

Great trip on the whole, going to sound corny but it really was a good crack between the two sets of supporters, before KO it was a carnival atmosphere and I preferred this to many of the European games I've been to where you can't relax too much without the fear of being stabbed in the arse. I really enjoyed sharing a few pints with some of the scousers, although this was away from the main Liverpool supporter areas where I refused to venture into. The only threat I felt was from the Spanish Old Bill, seriously not once did they smile, talk or try to engage with either Liverpool or Spurs fan, always left with the impression they were looking to bash you on the skull if you gave them that 2nd look, a Police presence should be there to make you feel protected but it's wrong to feel that they are where the threat is coming from, nasty cunts.

The other thing I didn't like was the whole UEFA set-up fan zone thing, the fan isn't catered for, they exist solely to cater for the corporate, not the fan.

We were outnumbered significantly in Madrid, away from the stadium but once inside the stadium our fans were class, Liverpool fans just didn't sing at all from about 10mins after the first goal right up to about 5mins before they got their 2nd. (It did go flat from both sets of supporters after the pen, Spurs fans got their voice back after about 30mins, but that pen did have a huge effect on who the game was played and how the fans were engaged in the game, it was odd). Best show from us was a defining "Oh When the Spurs" as the teams came out and even better version at the end of the game which made me well up whilst signing it. FUCKING LOVE THIS CLUB, LOVE THIS TEAM.

Sitting next to my mate as we kicked off, he said: "Just control and contain the first 10mins, lets' not concede a fuc.................." He didn't even finish the sentence before the pen was given. Didn't think it was a pen in real time, I've seen the replays and no way was it a pen, why didn't the ref at least to go to VAR, what the fuck is it there for???!

Disappointing night obviously and a crap game too. Let me tell you it was a very warm night, so don't think it was ever going to be a classic (finals rarely are anyway). Frustrating as we were the better of the two subdued sides.

I don't go along with the people saying Kane shouldn't have started, he may not have been on the ball anywhere as much as we or he would have liked (BTW he was more involved that Salah, Fermino and Mane were for Liverpool!!) but he was making a lot of runs off the ball which created a lot of space, we actually had numerous chances where we were 3 vs 3 or even overloaded them with 3 vs 2's and 4 vs 3's but our final ball was either poor or we chose the wrong option or Liverpool defended it very well. Our build-up play from the back was great, in fact, one of the best we've played and we drew Liverpool onto us well and passed through them and into Winks playing well from deep. We got into some terrific positions but didn't play that final ball.

Anyway, suspect this is all boring now as has been debated to death on here since the final whistle, so I will not bang on. Other than to surmise that I was disappointed with the performances of Son, Dele and Eriksen and of course Tripps. I thought everyone else was good, including Kane (can't blame him for not touching it if we can't find him). Our best player I thought was Winks before he came off but over the full 90 mins would say that would have to go to either of our two CB's or Rose.

Really exciting times for us ahead:
1. We are back home, in the best stadium in the Wolrd. Just being at home should be worth 6-10 points in the season. Then there are the new revenues with now over double the revenues we got from Old WHL, probably a lot more too when looking at the all the other commercial stuff that it can pull in via association.
2. Pre-Season. I would prefer our players not to be involved in the up and coming International's even if it is for a couple of games but feel our lads need to unplug and chill and then get back refreshed and ready to go again for the season. Anyway, whatever happens, we should be in a better place than last year with the number of players involved in the WC and consequently had zero pre-season.
3. I like the talk in the press about the players we are linked at getting rid of on the whole.
4. New players - I am also encouraged with the players we are currently linked with. A massive challenge to get them in however as we are not the only ones they are linked too. But more importantly, than individuals, it does appear we are targeting the obvious areas we need to address.

What a fantastic run we've had, a Champions League final was special for the club, there is no reason we can't repeat this again within the next three years. I look across Europe now and I only see Man City as the side who are better and look at what we did to them this season. Even though they beat us, we were better than Liverpool in the final, I DO NOT FEAR THEM! Seriously we are up there with everyone else, I do not fear any side in Europe other than City who I think are miles better than us and everyone else (but hey, they may not be playing in it next year!).

Up The Spurs!

I was at the game, finally watched the whole thing again yesterday. How the fuck you reckon Sissoko and Rose were better than Trippier in that game is anyone's guess.

Outside of the two CB's - who lets face it, had fuck all to do really - Trippier was probably the only player who offered anything like what his remit is. Was defensively good, saw more more ball than anyone bar the CB's, played a couple of our only 2/3 incisive passes. Winks was OK/meh. Kane, Alli, Eriksen and Son were varying degrees of fucking meh, Rose offered fuck all all game until the last 10 minutes and lost the ball more than anyone on that pitch, and Sissoko spent 85 minutes shitting himself and pointing at random tourist sites of Madrid, one of which cost us a goal.

I was at the game, finally watched the whole thing again yesterday. How the fuck you reckon Sissoko and Rose were better than Trippier in that game is anyone's guess.

Outside of the two CB's - who lets face it, had fuck all to do really - Trippier was probably the only player who offered anything like what his remit is. Was defensively good, saw more more ball than anyone bar the CB's, played a couple of our only 2/3 incisive passes. Winks was OK/meh. Kane, Alli, Eriksen and Son were varying degrees of fucking meh, Rose offered fuck all all game until the last 10 minutes and lost the ball more than anyone on that pitch, and Sissoko spent 85 minutes shitting himself and pointing at random tourist sites of Madrid, one of which cost us a goal.
Never. Even. Mentioned. Sissoko's. Name.

How the fuck you can still embarrass yourself by still posting about what happens on a football field is a truly astonishing feat of lack of self-awareness. Crack on for the giggles though.

Sit down, and prepare yourself to be amazed..........They won the pen by getting behind Frodo in the first 30 seconds of the game!!!!! No one saw this coming, did they? No one even mentioned this, no one said they could possibly see this as a way to attack Spurs. It was such a surprising thing to witness, came out of the blue, like we haven't seen such a thing happen before, ever.

Never. Even. Mentioned. Sissoko's. Name.

How the fuck you can still embarrass yourself by still posting about what happens on a football field is a truly astonishing feat of lack of self-awareness. Crack on for the giggles though.

Sit down, and prepare yourself to be amazed..........They won the pen by getting behind Frodo in the first 30 seconds of the game!!!!! No one saw this coming, did they? No one even mentioned this, no one said they could possibly see this as a way to attack Spurs. It was such a surprising thing to witness, came out of the blue, like we haven't seen such a thing happen before, ever.

You just make stuff up to suit your narrative. Ive called you on it several times, proved that you talk bollocks, you articulate well sometimes I give you that, but it's still proven garbage.

Teams try to exploit the fact that we push our full backs up, they did it when Walker was here, they do it to Aurier, they do it to Rose, and Liverpool especially, with the pace of Mane and Salah, continually try to exploit those areas - both sides.

In fact - inn this game they attacked - or "targeted" as you like to call it when the graph shows Trippier's side- our left side more than our right.

v0Ug2gI.png

Mane wasn't behind Trippier when he won his penalty. Mané didn't get any joy out of Trippier all game. Mane managed zero shots, zero key passes, lost the ball five times - most on their side. Trippier was fine.

You just make stuff up to suit your narrative. Ive called you on it several times, proved that you talk bollocks, you articulate well sometimes I give you that, but it's still proven garbage.

Teams try to exploit the fact that we push our full backs up, they did it when Walker was here, they do it to Aurier, they do it to Rose, and Liverpool especially, with the pace of Mane and Salah, continually try to exploit those areas - both sides.

In fact - inn this game they attacked - or "targeted" as you like to call it when the graph shows Trippier's side- our left side more than our right.

v0Ug2gI.png

Mane wasn't behind Trippier when he won his penalty. Mané didn't get any joy out of Trippier all game. Mane managed zero shots, zero key passes, lost the ball five times - most on their side. Trippier was fine.
No narrative just stating an irrefutable FACT. They scored via an attack down Trippiers flank in the first 25 seconds of the game. This actually happened, it's not a narrative.

Unlike yours by mentioning Sissoko, when I didn't even mention his name in my post, that's called a narrative. That's the difference.

ALL teams will exploit the space left behind FB's that are pushed up!!!! Just as ALL teams will look to exploit the space behind a high-line defence, THAT"S FUCKING OBVIOUS!!! Never once have I said this doesn't happen, it does. It's a risk we have always been prepared for, the ball over the top especially as it results in us regaining possession 9/10 (I've made that last stat up before you go full stat junky on me but would be surprised if it isn't around that number hence using it).

Once they got ahead they barely attacked us all game, they didn't need to, none of their attackers was involved in the game (Firmino was hooked at half time), they really did fuck all. This wasn't anything to do with Tripps, it was because they were protecting their lead gained in the first 25 seconds of the game via an attack down Trippiers flank. FACT!

Here is the nub of it, you yourself have numerous times talked, CORRECTLY, of how we didn't use to concede as many shots on our goal (and as a consequence concede as many goals as we have, especially this season). There are more than one reason for this the two obvious ones are our:
1. Midfield (lack of it - epitomised by not having Dembele fit when we was here, then not having him at all and having an injured Wanyama, injured Dier and a new lad in Winks, who's really grown this season without the ball).
2. Our Fullbacks - The lose of Walker and Roses's injury have shown exactly what we have lost to the dynamic of this team. This difference is night and day. Now as for Tripps, WE CONCEDE THESE INCREASED CHANCES DOWN HIS FLANK. THAT'S WHERE THE OPPO GOALS COME FROM BECAUSE THAT'S OUR WEAK LINK. The oppo can have a 50/50 split of possession/attempts down each flank but the error, the killer pass, the killer cross into the box, the lost header, the chaos ensued by the doubling up (targeting) is predominantly down Tripp's flank.

Now, please fuck off! I'm am so fucking bored of debating this shit with you, it's just going around in fucking circles. I wrote what I wrote because that's what I saw. I didn't give a long drawn out tactical breakdown, that wasn't the purpose of my post, thought that much was absolutely clear from the post.

There's no point in even discussing him as it looks like we are binning off the wonder kid.

Please don't engage me again on Tripps. There is NOTHING else to add that hasn't already been said a thousand times. IT'S FUCKING BORING!!

If you can't take my word for it, fine but leave me alone and go call out one of the games most highly respected analysts as being biased instead. Go tell him just how brilliant Tripps is. I'm done and so is he.

Mane v Trippier
The game started in dramatic fashion – Liverpool won a penalty within 30 seconds, which was slammed home by Mohamed Salah. The penalty was awarded when Moussa Sissoko handled a Sadio Mane cross, after Mane had burst in behind Kieran Trippier.
That was precisely the area where Liverpool seemed most likely to cause problems: their most consistent attacker against Tottenham’s weak link. Long balls over the top for Mane has proved effective against both Bayern Munich and Barcelona in this season’s competition, and in the opening 15 minutes it was the either side’s most promising avenue to a goal. Shortly after the penalty incident, Virgil van Dijk hit a long ball over the top for the onrushing Mane, leaving Trippier frustrated that Hugo Lloris wasn’t sweeping outside his box. Mane was the only attacker that looked genuinely dangerous here, and as the game continued he increasingly drifted inside to create from central positions.
With Liverpool ahead almost instantly, it was inevitable that Tottenham would feel compelled to dominate, and for the vast majority of the game they were superior. The game descended into a scrappy mess, featuring plenty of long balls, spells of head tennis in midfield, a particularly high number of throw-ins and a staggeringly low pass completion rate. There was little midfield battle to speak of, and neither side won the ball in advanced positions. The temperature in Madrid – and perhaps the unusually long three-week break since the end of the league campaign – meant both sides looked fatigued at an early stage.

No narrative just stating an irrefutable FACT. They scored via an attack down Trippiers flank in the first 25 seconds of the game. This actually happened, it's not a narrative.

Unlike yours by mentioning Sissoko, when I didn't even mention his name in my post, that's called a narrative. That's the difference.

ALL teams will exploit the space left behind FB's that are pushed up!!!! Just as ALL teams will look to exploit the space behind a high-line defence, THAT"S FUCKING OBVIOUS!!! Never once have I said this doesn't happen, it does. It's a risk we have always been prepared for, the ball over the top especially as it results in us regaining possession 9/10 (I've made that last stat up before you go full stat junky on me but would be surprised if it isn't around that number hence using it).

Once they got ahead they barely attacked us all game, they didn't need to, none of their attackers was involved in the game (Firmino was hooked at half time), they really did fuck all. This wasn't anything to do with Tripps, it was because they were protecting their lead gained in the first 25 seconds of the game via an attack down Trippiers flank. FACT!

Here is the nub of it, you yourself have numerous times talked, CORRECTLY, of how we didn't use to concede as many shots on our goal (and as a consequence concede as many goals as we have, especially this season). There are more than one reason for this the two obvious ones are our:
1. Midfield (lack of it - epitomised by not having Dembele fit when we was here, then not having him at all and having an injured Wanyama, injured Dier and a new lad in Winks, who's really grown this season without the ball).
2. Our Fullbacks - The lose of Walker and Roses's injury have shown exactly what we have lost to the dynamic of this team. This difference is night and day. Now as for Tripps, WE CONCEDE THESE INCREASED CHANCES DOWN HIS FLANK. THAT'S WHERE THE OPPO GOALS COME FROM BECAUSE THAT'S OUR WEAK LINK. The oppo can have a 50/50 split of possession/attempts down each flank but the error, the killer pass, the killer cross into the box, the lost header, the chaos ensued by the doubling up (targeting) is predominantly down Tripp's flank.

Now, please fuck off! I'm am so fucking bored of debating this shit with you, it's just going around in fucking circles. I wrote what I wrote because that's what I saw. I didn't give a long drawn out tactical breakdown, that wasn't the purpose of my post, thought that much was absolutely clear from the post.

There's no point in even discussing him as it looks like we are binning off the wonder kid.

Please don't engage me again on Tripps. There is NOTHING else to add that hasn't already been said a thousand times. IT'S FUCKING BORING!!

If you can't take my word for it, fine but leave me alone and go call out one of the games most highly respected analysts as being biased instead. Go tell him just how brilliant Tripps is. I'm done and so is he.

Mane v Trippier
The game started in dramatic fashion – Liverpool won a penalty within 30 seconds, which was slammed home by Mohamed Salah. The penalty was awarded when Moussa Sissoko handled a Sadio Mane cross, after Mane had burst in behind Kieran Trippier.
That was precisely the area where Liverpool seemed most likely to cause problems: their most consistent attacker against Tottenham’s weak link. Long balls over the top for Mane has proved effective against both Bayern Munich and Barcelona in this season’s competition, and in the opening 15 minutes it was the either side’s most promising avenue to a goal. Shortly after the penalty incident, Virgil van Dijk hit a long ball over the top for the onrushing Mane, leaving Trippier frustrated that Hugo Lloris wasn’t sweeping outside his box. Mane was the only attacker that looked genuinely dangerous here, and as the game continued he increasingly drifted inside to create from central positions.
With Liverpool ahead almost instantly, it was inevitable that Tottenham would feel compelled to dominate, and for the vast majority of the game they were superior. The game descended into a scrappy mess, featuring plenty of long balls, spells of head tennis in midfield, a particularly high number of throw-ins and a staggeringly low pass completion rate. There was little midfield battle to speak of, and neither side won the ball in advanced positions. The temperature in Madrid – and perhaps the unusually long three-week break since the end of the league campaign – meant both sides looked fatigued at an early stage.

Narrative alert.

They attacked more down our left. FACT.

No more bullshit please.

Read what I have just written AGAIN. Take a pause, let those words sink in for a second, in your case give it longer, much longer. Then go and take your complaints to the renowned football analysts, there's a good lad.

It doesn’t matter what the renowned football analyst Micheal Cox thinks about Trippier, or his Nostradamus like prediction that Liverpool might hit balls over the top to Mane, (not like they don’t do that every week eh?),

I’m talking about what actually happened and your bullshit interpretation of it.

For example, when the second ball he talks about was whacked to Mane, and Lloris didn’t come out, Trippier dealt with it.

In a game of turgid performances, Trippier actually had a half decent game. Regardless of what you or the esteemed analyst had decided before hand.

It doesn’t matter what the renowned football analyst Micheal Cox thinks about Trippier, or his Nostradamus like prediction that Liverpool might hit balls over the top to Mane, (not like they don’t do that every week eh?),

I’m talking about what actually happened and your bullshit interpretation of it.

For example, when the second ball he talks about was whacked to Mane, and Lloris didn’t come out, Trippier dealt with it.

In a game of turgid performances, Trippier actually had a half decent game. Regardless of what you or the esteemed analyst had decided before hand.
Please bore the fuck off!! Read my words, I'm done with this shit. I'm done with Tripps, he's off, being sold, deal with it, cry your salty tears into your wank sock.

Take it up with Michael Cox, I'm sure he's is waiting for you to bang on and on about King Frodo.

Do you think it was right that the streaker was wearing a swimsuit?

Back
Top Bottom