We can be heroes champions league final 01/06/2019

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Son didn't shine
giphy.gif

Only got home from Madrid last night, a ton of posts on here that I doubt I've got time to read but will try to catch up on.

Great trip on the whole, going to sound corny but it really was a good crack between the two sets of supporters, before KO it was a carnival atmosphere and I preferred this to many of the European games I've been to where you can't relax too much without the fear of being stabbed in the arse. I really enjoyed sharing a few pints with some of the scousers, although this was away from the main Liverpool supporter areas where I refused to venture into. The only threat I felt was from the Spanish Old Bill, seriously not once did they smile, talk or try to engage with either Liverpool or Spurs fan, always left with the impression they were looking to bash you on the skull if you gave them that 2nd look, a Police presence should be there to make you feel protected but it's wrong to feel that they are where the threat is coming from, nasty cunts.

The other thing I didn't like was the whole UEFA set-up fan zone thing, the fan isn't catered for, they exist solely to cater for the corporate, not the fan.

We were outnumbered significantly in Madrid, away from the stadium but once inside the stadium our fans were class, Liverpool fans just didn't sing at all from about 10mins after the first goal right up to about 5mins before they got their 2nd. (It did go flat from both sets of supporters after the pen, Spurs fans got their voice back after about 30mins, but that pen did have a huge effect on who the game was played and how the fans were engaged in the game, it was odd). Best show from us was a defining "Oh When the Spurs" as the teams came out and even better version at the end of the game which made me well up whilst signing it. FUCKING LOVE THIS CLUB, LOVE THIS TEAM.

Sitting next to my mate as we kicked off, he said: "Just control and contain the first 10mins, lets' not concede a fuc.................." He didn't even finish the sentence before the pen was given. Didn't think it was a pen in real time, I've seen the replays and no way was it a pen, why didn't the ref at least to go to VAR, what the fuck is it there for???!

Disappointing night obviously and a crap game too. Let me tell you it was a very warm night, so don't think it was ever going to be a classic (finals rarely are anyway). Frustrating as we were the better of the two subdued sides.

I don't go along with the people saying Kane shouldn't have started, he may not have been on the ball anywhere as much as we or he would have liked (BTW he was more involved that Salah, Fermino and Mane were for Liverpool!!) but he was making a lot of runs off the ball which created a lot of space, we actually had numerous chances where we were 3 vs 3 or even overloaded them with 3 vs 2's and 4 vs 3's but our final ball was either poor or we chose the wrong option or Liverpool defended it very well. Our build-up play from the back was great, in fact, one of the best we've played and we drew Liverpool onto us well and passed through them and into Winks playing well from deep. We got into some terrific positions but didn't play that final ball.

Anyway, suspect this is all boring now as has been debated to death on here since the final whistle, so I will not bang on. Other than to surmise that I was disappointed with the performances of Son, Dele and Eriksen and of course Tripps. I thought everyone else was good, including Kane (can't blame him for not touching it if we can't find him). Our best player I thought was Winks before he came off but over the full 90 mins would say that would have to go to either of our two CB's or Rose.

Really exciting times for us ahead:
1. We are back home, in the best stadium in the Wolrd. Just being at home should be worth 6-10 points in the season. Then there are the new revenues with now over double the revenues we got from Old WHL, probably a lot more too when looking at the all the other commercial stuff that it can pull in via association.
2. Pre-Season. I would prefer our players not to be involved in the up and coming International's even if it is for a couple of games but feel our lads need to unplug and chill and then get back refreshed and ready to go again for the season. Anyway, whatever happens, we should be in a better place than last year with the number of players involved in the WC and consequently had zero pre-season.
3. I like the talk in the press about the players we are linked at getting rid of on the whole.
4. New players - I am also encouraged with the players we are currently linked with. A massive challenge to get them in however as we are not the only ones they are linked too. But more importantly, than individuals, it does appear we are targeting the obvious areas we need to address.

What a fantastic run we've had, a Champions League final was special for the club, there is no reason we can't repeat this again within the next three years. I look across Europe now and I only see Man City as the side who are better and look at what we did to them this season. Even though they beat us, we were better than Liverpool in the final, I DO NOT FEAR THEM! Seriously we are up there with everyone else, I do not fear any side in Europe other than City who I think are miles better than us and everyone else (but hey, they may not be playing in it next year!).

Up The Spurs!
Agree with pretty much all of that (apart from the penalty stuff), I'm emerging from my shell now but like others can't bring myself to watch the highlights or anything yet, or listen to post match interviews or even go on the official site.

Did you like Madrid? Sunday till now stuff I mean

Our biggest players didn’t show up in the biggest game - simply not good enough.

Great run in tHe CL - hopefully with the right investment we can be back in a final soon

Agree with pretty much all of that (apart from the penalty stuff), I'm emerging from my shell now but like others can't bring myself to watch the highlights or anything yet, or listen to post match interviews or even go on the official site.

Completely my feelings.

Will take time to heal.

Just watched a review of our run. We had some good fortune. I can't help but think this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Seems such a long way back.

With a bit more luck we could have potentially had at one maybe two prem titles under Poch and a champions league. Fine margins and freak seasons denied us.

They say you get what you deserve in football. I don't feel we have. I feel we've deserved more.

Well, although Lucas and Son didn't shine, and Dele Eriksen and Kane didn't shine, the difference is the former two players at least offered a strategic threat. In other words, they made the Liverpool players face their own goal.

Son had a Son like performance - poor the first half with heavy touches and a real threat the second half. He was a one man attack most of the game with Kane being in VVD's pocket.

Lucas changed the dynamic of the game and had he been given a full 45+ minutes to play, I think Tottenham's attack overall would have been more effective. 30 minutes is hardly enough to brush off the rust of a 3 week break.

Penalty or not, we had 90+mins to come back, we didn't even come close, whether it was their strategic defensive tactics or our inept attack, it really doesn't matter. Were we really the better team or did they just let us dominate with sterile possession, it really doesn't matter. In spite of all that, we let in a second goal and in the end lost fair and square. Bottom line, once again we fell short when the stakes and pressure got too high. Its a spurs thing, we are used to it.

Looking forward though, all the media crows about how the next 5 years belong to them 2 up north and for some reason spurs are going to fall apart...lose their best players, lose their manager, not be able to attract anyone good cause we cant spend. Whats worrying is that there is some truth to it. Poch still hasn't proven he can win trophies. Maybe with a squad of superstars like Real but not with this squad. And unfortunately for him Levy hasn't shown any inclination to spend big to assemble the squad he needs. So I really am struggling to see how this squad achieves more next season.

Just watched a review of our run. We had some good fortune. I can't help but think this was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Seems such a long way back.

With a bit more luck we could have potentially had at one maybe two prem titles under Poch and a champions league. Fine margins and freak seasons denied us.

They say you get what you deserve in football. I don't feel we have. I feel we've deserved more.

I don't think we've actually been that close to winning the Premier League under Poch. Coming close to winning the PL isn't about just finishing 2nd or 3rd, you need to be close to the top or leading through-out the season. Something we haven't done and so despite what the media says we were always quite far from ending up winners. The Champions League was definitely within reach though, obviously.

I also don't reckon the Champions League this season was a once in a lifetime thing For crying out loud, we are in the competition next season. Get out of the group and we have a good chance of going far again.

So much pessimism about.

I think the squad as a whole and over the last 4 years definitely should have won something.

It's weird. Our best of the last four years would have easily finished 3rd this season and been a lot closer to City and Liverpool in that analysis.

We would have won the Champions League final, but am not sure we would have got there, as in beat the teams we did on the way.

A golden generation of players but no trophies to show for it.

Only time will tell if this 4 year period was a lost opportunity or the platform to something better.

its not just luck in the Leicester season we needed to bring a striker at christmas to take the load off Kane (Charlie Austin was available ) that could have seen us over the line & not fall apart at the end of the season, and at the C/L final not one of our big players turned up (nor did Liverpools)

Watching them tramps parade the cup today has made it really sink in......what a missed opportunity!!
All the carnage they caused in Europe over the years and they parade around with “Kings of Europe” flags like they are some kind of whiter than white group of people....

A pool fan texts me today saying “when you step up to play with the big boys, this is what happens YNWA.....6Times..........

They were where Woolwich are right now about 4 years ago, while we were chipping away at Leicester and Chelsea, but just like that they win the CL and are sitting where we used to be (winning trophies aside)......Why? They didn’t accept what they were, to a fan they demanded better, and guess what their board listened!!

Maybe we are to soft on ours? Although what we have been given off the field is nothing short of spectacular, and it’s very very hard to be critical of Levy & Co right now, we can’t have the cake and eat it....

What I do hope tho, is that Levy & Co have now got a taste for this kind of occasion, surly any self proclaimed football fan wants it on a regular basis? It’s a drug we crave!!

Let’s hope this is true, and our enthusiastic manager gets some help in achieving the dreams of the fans......I left Blighty for the US last Sunday, went to 3 different states and ran against the clock to hit Madrid just in time, straight back to Blighty for a quick turn around and I’m now back in the US to finish up, it was travel hell, I don’t even know what time it is never mind what day it is, but I’d do it all tomorrow in a heartbeat just for the chance to become “Kings of Europe”
I’m sure Levy would too🤔
Brilliant post. Not sure levy would, or maybe I'm being unfair. I guess time will tell.

Well, although Lucas and Son didn't shine, and Dele Eriksen and Kane didn't shine, the difference is the former two players at least offered a strategic threat. In other words, they made the Liverpool players face their own goal.

Son did fire that powerful shot that would have given Karius trouble. Unfortunately they had a good goalie. Also his moves were good, the others were too static. Alli shouldn't be in the line up just because he is English. We should bring Tanguy Dombele, Florian Thauvin or Julian Draxler

Son did fire that powerful shot that would have given Karius trouble. Unfortunately they had a good goalie. Also his moves were good, the others were too static. Alli shouldn't be in the line up just because he is English. We should bring Tanguy Dombele, Florian Thauvin or Julian Draxler
I don't think he is in there just because he is English!! But i do think he IS in there under false pretences at the moment. He's in there because of what he's done in the past rather than what he's done for the last 18 months- basically shit all. Unfortunately there's no-one to replace him at the mo.

Still hurts....

I'm HOPING none of our players start tonight....
Either way, they play well, and it's "why couldn't they have done that a few days ago..?"
Play badly, and they'll get even MORE unwanted media flack...

Just don't need it tbh!

I don’t think so. We have deserved what we got, good enough to get close to the best but not good enough to beat them. A team that can concede a penalty 20 seconds into a final is not ready to win things.

To be honest, we need to improve and accept we will be up against World Class defenders and goalkeepers. I agree Ndombele could be a good signing. But to be fair to Dele, he linked up well with Lucas in the semi-final, and it is not the first time him and Kane have gone missing in big games. Woolwich away is a classic example, two years in a row now.

I think it is harsh to blame Dele when Kane isn't firing or the entire forward line isn't functioning properly. As an example, Dele wasn't on the pitch for Burnley away. A lot of our players are form and instinct players and Pochettino has to take some responsibility for changing a winning set-up. There is also the fact that Liverpool probably knew our team and our formation was predictable.

Overall, the players need improving. At least two World Class signings.

I'm not far off you mate, only seen the penalty claim on Twitter, that's it nothing else of the game.

Always liked Madrid, I had a business there for about 6yrs so would visit for 2 days every 2 weeks or so during this time. Luckily that meant this trip I could meet back up with some of my old team and also gave me somewhere to stay too. Stayed in a mates apartment off Plaza de Isabel which was a piece of piss for all the corny CL stuff and of course post-match/post CL it's a great central place to be.

It's actually the first time I've ever chilled out in Madrid even though I must have been here close to 200 times now!! Was nice also to bask in the fact that we were in the Final as all bar one of my mates supports Real Madrid, cigars were on me.

I'm not far off you mate, only seen the penalty claim on Twitter, that's it nothing else of the game.

Always liked Madrid, I had a business there for about 6yrs so would visit for 2 days every 2 weeks or so during this time. Luckily that meant this trip I could meet back up with some of my old team and also gave me somewhere to stay too. Stayed in a mates apartment off Plaza de Isabel which was a piece of piss for all the corny CL stuff and of course post-match/post CL it's a great central place to be.

It's actually the first time I've ever chilled out in Madrid even though I must have been here close to 200 times now!! Was nice also to bask in the fact that we were in the Final as all bar one of my mates supports Real Madrid, cigars were on me.
Cool, didn't realise you were an honourary Madrileño, with your vicious attacks on me I had you down as a Faragist Hispanophobe

:levylol: :pochlol::wanyama::pochlol::levylol:

Keep thinking back to this time last week and how fucking excited i was......And now this weekend I'm wondering if it'll be dry enough to get the grass cut........

Still feeling so deflated. I haven't picked up a paper and avoid any TV that might feature any news of the game. Even avoiding speaking to my aunt who lived in Liverpool for a number of years, that she talks with the broadest Scouse accent!

Back
Top Bottom